Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

How often do you dream of having a 'defensive gun use' situation?

Odd question... perhaps. But I'm sort of curious how often other gun owners have dreams that may involve a DGU.

I'd also love to know how it compares to people that aren't gun-owners... but I won't find that statistic here.

Since owning and carrying guns, I can say I've definitely had a lot of dreams over the years where a gun was involved. In most cases, there's never a "bang"... and the trigger feels "squishy" and un-usable. Dreams being dreams, I guess.

How about you, INGO? Ever dream of single-handedly taking down ISIS with your pocket pistol?

User Info Menu

This is not uncommon. Nor is it unusual that the gun doesn't work in the dream. In mine I often have squibs, where the gun goes bang but the bullet comes out like someone throwing a soggy grape and they just bounce off the bad guy.

I don't have these dreams super frequently, maybe one every couple of months. That probably means I'm not training enough.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

User Info Menu

I've had a few. One I vividly remember. It was about 25 years ago when I lived in Terre Haute. There was this guy we all knew named Ron, who we called MoRon because he was a total moron. Nobody liked him.

In my dream I was walking out of a drugstore and he came toward me pointing a shotgun at me. I pulled my 1911 that I didn't own in real life and shot him several times. He dropped the shotgun and fell over. I picked up the shotgun and said "sweet, I have a new Benelli!" I went to my apartment and put the Benelli in my closet and went to bed.

When I woke up I was in a really good mood. Then, when I realized I didn't actually have a new Benelli, and that MoRon was still alive, I was really sad.
    Call me Desdinova, Eternal Light.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have had this happen quite a few times. I have had malfunctions, impossible to use triggers, can't manipulate the slide, and tons of other oddball things. I haven't had low velocity bullets, but i have had them be ineffective. I didn't have dreams like this before getting into guns.

If I am dreaming about paintball or something fun....even some nightmares they almost always work right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    This is not uncommon. Nor is it unusual that the gun doesn't work in the dream. In mine I often have squibs, where the gun goes bang but the bullet comes out like someone throwing a soggy grape and they just bounce off the bad guy.

I don't have these dreams super frequently, maybe one every couple of months. That probably means I'm not training enough.
    Iíve had the same dreams. The gun constantly malfunctions or fires like me throwing rocks. Not often, but maybe twice a year at most.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'd say a couple times a year, but it is in the context of it not being where I left it or doesn't work like I thought it did.

About the same frequency, I have the dream where I'm in college and thought I'd dropped a class, but they're telling me I have to take the final. Even though I haven't been there the whole semester.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

I remember something Dave Grossman saying once - that having dreams like this, especially when the gun doesn't work, is your subconscious' way of telling you it's doubting the recency of your training and your ability to perform.

Seems to be true for me. If I keep up on my training, such dreams go away. YMMV.

So, "how often?" It varies. Haven't had one in a couple of years at least (maybe longer). Been keeping up on my training.
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

User Info Menu

My main ones involve having the wrong magazine for the pistol and can't find the correct one. I've had the dreams of the bullet just barely coming out of the barrel and hitting the floor and also the can't squeeze the trigger because it's too strong. Now as for how often, it seems mine come more when I'm training/shooting a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Yeah, I'd say a couple times a year, but it is in the context of it not being where I left it or doesn't work like I thought it did.

About the same frequency, I have the dream where I'm in college and thought I'd dropped a class, but they're telling me I have to take the final. Even though I haven't been there the whole semester.
    Hahaha, Iíve had that college dream several times too.

User Info Menu

I've had the gun wont go off, or the bullets bounce off .
    The ones that get me are the ones I can't move , my feet feel real heavy and my legs feel funny and I can't move.

"Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne
    INGO# 3207

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast