Residential neighborhood HD shotgun load (poll)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HD load for residential area (12G)

• Total voters

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Residential neighborhood. Small homes 1200-1800 sq feet close to each other.

Overpenetration is a concern, but also want something that would ideally be a one and done.

Ideal 12 gauge shotgun load?

#00 buck
    #1 buck
    #2 buck
    #4 buck

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    00 buckshot.

Overpenetration is a secondary concern. You need to penetrate deeply enough to solve the problem. #1, #2, #3, and #4 will probably do that, but not as well.

If you're concerned about overpenetration, you should be concerned about #4 buck as much as you are about 00 buck because you don't really know what's going to happen. If you're really, really concerned about it, ditch the 12ga and get an AR.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    00 buckshot.

Overpenetration is a secondary concern. You need to penetrate deeply enough to solve the problem. #1, #2, #3, and #4 will probably do that, but not as well.

If you're concerned about overpenetration, you should be concerned about #4 buck as much as you are about 00 buck because you don't really know what's going to happen. If you're really, really concerned about it, ditch the 12ga and get an AR.

You’re sayying 556 isn’t going to tear through someone like #4 buck? 556 is like 2100-3000 fps?

I think my Federal LE hollow point ammo is rated at 18-20” of penetration.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You’re sayying 556 isn’t going to tear through someone like #4 buck? 556 is like 2100-3000 fps?

That's the beauty of 5.56 for home defense. It penetrates people nicely, but doesn't do the same to most building materials. Since your original message referred to residential area and homes close to each other, I assumed your primary concern was penetration through building materials. People are not reliable bullet stops. Drywall and framing lumber can be for 5.56.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

223 / 556 is known to start tumbling and loosing energy after impacting drywall and other typical home building materials. Because of this, an AR (or even one with frangable rounds) has become a popular HD option.

That being said, an AR "typically" requires more rounds fired (read presses of trigger) to affect the same damage (and stop evil) as one well placed, aimed trigger press with a shotgun loaded with #00 buck.

YMMV, but most that I know using a shotgun for HD are using Federal Flight Control in either 8 or 9 pellet flavor. It all depends on how the ammo patterns with your barrel.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    223 / 556 is known to start tumbling and loosing energy after impacting drywall and other typical home building materials. Because of this, an AR (or even one with frangable rounds) has become a popular HD option.

That being said, an AR "typically" requires more rounds fired (read presses of trigger) to affect the same damage (and stop evil) as one well placed, aimed trigger press with a shotgun loaded with #00 buck.

YMMV, but most that I know using a shotgun for HD are using Federal Flight Control in either 8 or 9 pellet flavor. It all depends on how the ammo patterns with your barrel.

That being said, would you rather your close neighbor be weilding a shotgun or an AR pointed at your home?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    That being said, would you rather your close neighbor be weilding a shotgun or an AR pointed at your home?

A few things would factor into my answer.

1) How well does my neighbor handle the firearm.
    2) Building materials of the homes (stick vs brick exterior).
    3) Distance between the homes.

Personally, my neighbors have single story homes while my family is in a two story, brick home. With how things are aligned, I'm OK with SG as their tool, even though I'm not sure how well they understand the principles of HD firearm usage.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I consider the most likely shot inside my home to be 20' max. Almost certainly within the same room. If that room happens to be the living room or master bedroom a projectile which misses the intended target is going to have to penetrate three walls before it leaves the house. I'm not to concerned about over penetration.

And..........The shotgun is actually option #3. The wife has a Taurus Judge in her night stand loaded with 2.5" Hornady Triple Defense rounds. . A Glock 30s full of Hornady Critical Defense HPs with a light stays in mine at night.

Last edited:

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I consider the most likely shot inside my home to be 20' max. Almost certainly within the same room. If that room happens to be the living room or master bedroom a projectile which misses the intended target is going to have to penetrate three walls before it leaves the house. I'm not to concerned about over penetration.

And..........The shotgun is actually option #3. The wife has a Taurus Judge in her night stand loaded with 2.5" Hornady Triple Defense rounds. . A Glock 30s full of Hornady Critical Defense HPs with a light stays in mine at night.

Surprised you’re going with handguns over a long gun.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I prefer handguns as a home defense option as well. My AR is probably only going to come into play if I am going outside. Though I have a lot of training on all 3 platforms I am most comfortable with a handgun especially in closed environments. I can shoot a long gun one handed and open a door and guide someone, but I would prefer to do all of those things with a handgun. Whatever I use for home defense will have a light on it. YMMV

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don't see it as an "either-or" choice but rather choosing the right tool for the task. Are you going to investigate a suspicious noise--to determine whether a threat even exists--or to round up your children and get them to your "safe room"? Take a handgun and light. Are you defending a choke-point where you've barricaded yourself? Use a shotgun or rifle.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Overpenetration.
    During a firefight in your house, you're going to want your shotgun to be all it can be. I only shoot 00 Buck and Slugs through my defense shotguns. Always have and always will. I know how they kick and what they can shoot through. If I NEED to shoot through my doors or interior walls, I can. I sure as hell am not going to underload my guns because I MIGHT miss my target and hit my neighbors house.

What if the fight goes outside? Underloaded shotgun is going to be less effective against a vehicle's windshield, door or gas tank.

Overpenetration is something to worry about on an airplane or in bed.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    00 buck for me. Safest thing for me, my family, and little Suzie across the street is for a potential altercation inside my home to be ended with a single shot delivering the maximum destructive effect and the minimum chance of continuing gunfire. The sole advantage of a shotgun is extreme destructive effect, so there's no reason to leave any of that on the table for fear of overpenetration. Bullets that aren't fired cannot overpenetrate.

My personal choice remains a handgun and flashlight, but you can bet your ass that if I deem it necessary to deploy a shotgun, it will be loaded to full defensive potential.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    00 buckshot.

/\/\/\/\ This right here. /\/\/\/\

Also this. Be sure to pattern your specific HD shotgun so you know what type of groups and spread you will get at specific distances.

I just went through this process last month and personally found that flight control loads do not open up enough at indoor distances to be preferred for my situation. At less that 15 yards missing a moving target with a shotgun load is still a very real possibility, so I want at least a 4"-6" pattern at 10 yards and closer. Fight control doesn't give me that expansion in my HD gun w/ 20" barrel so it's not a good option. Now in a SHTF or Marshall law situation and I'm out on neighborhood patrol, sure.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...re-can-i-pattern-shotgun-central-indiana.html

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That's the beauty of 5.56 for home defense. It penetrates people nicely, but doesn't do the same to most building materials. Since your original message referred to residential area and homes close to each other, I assumed your primary concern was penetration through building materials. People are not reliable bullet stops. Drywall and framing lumber can be for 5.56.

If I remember correctly, don’t you recommend 55grain Xm193?

Top Bottom