Transporting handgun to range without license... What constitutes to a case?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    So, does a vehicle Trunk constitute to a case, or would I need to have a separate case within the Vehicle trunk?

If the latter, Would a soft shell case suffice or would I need a hardshell?

thanks.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm going to err on the side of caution and say at least a soft shell case. Hopefully someone else will come along who has a better answer. If you were pulled over and the vehicle was searched, which you shouldn't consent to and you likely have bigger problems if they're searching based upon reasonable suspicion, the officer conducting the search is the one who will have to initially interpret whether you have the gun in a case or not. If he/she decides that your storage doesn't constitute a "case" it becomes a lawyer issue but it should be easier to convince them that it is a case if it's actually a gun case rather than a backpack or just sitting out.

EDIT: The most common answer you're probably going to hear is to just get your LTCH, which I agree with but I'm guessing there's a reason you haven't.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    I'm going to err on the side of caution and say at least a soft shell case. Hopefully someone else will come along who has a better answer. If you were pulled over and the vehicle was searched, which you shouldn't consent to and you likely have bigger problems if they're searching based upon reasonable suspicion, the officer conducting the search is the one who will have to initially interpret whether you have the gun in a case or not. If he/she decides that your storage doesn't constitute a "case" it becomes a lawyer issue but it should be easier to convince them that it is a case if it's actually a gun case rather than a backpack or just sitting out.

EDIT: The most common answer you're probably going to hear is to just get your LTCH, which I agree with but I'm guessing there's a reason you haven't.

The reason i haven’t got a LTCH is because i’m Currently in the process for applying for it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Pistol=>in range bag=>in trunk. Hard case, soft case, flap holster, pistol rug, just as long as you cannot access it.

Life gets much, much better with the LTCH. Good luck on the application process, HK!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    So, does a vehicle Trunk constitute to a case, or would I need to have a separate case within the Vehicle trunk?

If the latter, Would a soft shell case suffice or would I need a hardshell?

thanks.

You are asking if we think a Law Enforcement Officer would, upon finding a pistol tossed somewhere in your trunk, consider that safely stowed and "cased"?

Hell no. No, they would not.

A soft "case" might be arguable, but do yourself a favor and buy a $6 case from Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Condition-1-100699-10-Hard-Pistol-Case-Black/31199121

-Nate

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Pistol=>in range bag=>in trunk. Hard case, soft case, flap holster, pistol rug, just as long as you cannot access it.

Life gets much, much better with the LTCH. Good luck on the application process, HK!

Once you get the LTCH, get some good duct tape, then:

rimg.php

Top Bottom