• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Ok. So I know this has been done to death and there is no straight answer. But I'm trying to decide what to EDC carry. I want to practice and train what I carry. So... Without caliber wars, brand wars, etc. I have boiled my choice down to this. (and I am not looking to buy another handgun to it some kind of hybrid)

Carry a 1911 that naturally points for me, and I am naturally more accurate with

OR

Carry Striker style that doesn't point as naturally (and currently not as accurate for me) but has higher capacity

Note that in most situations my EDC is only an emergency use, and to only get me back to car where i have long arm and B.O.B.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    Another vote for the tool you are most effective with. Once the adrenaline starts, that’s the tool you want at your disposal.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok. So I know this has been done to death and there is no straight answer. But I'm trying to decide what to EDC carry. I want to practice and train what I carry. So... Without caliber wars, brand wars, etc. I have boiled my choice down to this. (and I am not looking to buy another handgun to it some kind of hybrid)

Carry a 1911 that naturally points for me, and I am naturally more accurate with

OR

Carry Striker style that doesn't point as naturally (and currently not as accurate for me) but has higher capacity

Note that in most situations my EDC is only an emergency use, and to only get me back to car where i have long arm and B.O.B.

Easy go online, or Walmart which ever has the best prices for ammo in your area, pick up both fmj and Jhp Carry enough home to practice frequently.
    Do you need to purchase a EDC? If so try a few out determine which shoots best for you with the smallest amount of effort,one that you can afford to train with to the point where it becomes ingrained. I would not worry too much about capacity, Extra Mags will mitigate that concern and come in handy in the event Murphy ups his game in a crisis. Also decide how your going to carry, with the right set up full size 1911 or Plastic fantastic can be carried with out issue.

For me I carry a 1911 two extra mags, the yeah It will blind you in broad day light flashlight , extra battery every thing goes the same place every time.
    Lots to think about

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

OR

Why not both?

IeMeq5J.jpg

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'd choose the one that has the best track record for reliability. Then train and practice a metric ton with it. Even though it may not be the best "feeling" pistol to start, you'd be surprised how good you can get with it after countless rounds of training and drills.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I struggle a little with this subject. I like to carry concealed. Concealed like I don't really want anyone knowing I am carrying (though I carry OWB, go figure!).

I carry a Shield though that is not the gun I shoot the most. I do shoot it, but I put more rounds through my full size 9 than I do it. But I know I won't consistently carry my full size.

I bought a Walther(Q5) last year and once I get up to speed on it, I may sell the Shield and buy the sub compact version of the Walther. I think that would get me the closet in feel and I would spend some time behind it. Maybe even shoot it in some bug matches if it would qualify. I can see this lining me up best with the "carry what you shoot best" mode.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    What works for you? What are your requirements as far as concealability? Can you run it and does it go bang when you pull the trigger? Are you left-handed?

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I didn't mention conceal-ability since I OC, and a loose shirt will cover a good holster fair enough if needed. (i go dale frick gideon on every type for OC, love his stuff

I'm right handed so i don't have issues there.

I have not had any reliability issues with either style (of the ones i own)

The calibers I do not consider since A) i carry 40 or 45, and B) thats a swamp of opinion that im not trying to bring into the choice.

What is had specifically come down to is the G23 or the SR1911 CMD (but im not wanting brand wars or bias)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I didn't mention conceal-ability since I OC, and a loose shirt will cover a good holster fair enough if needed. (i go dale frick gideon on every type for OC, love his stuff

The calibers I do not consider since A) i carry 40 or 45, and B) thats a swamp of opinion that im not trying to bring into the choice.

What is had specifically come down to is the G23 or the SR1911 CMD (but im not wanting brand wars or bias)

I would say pick whatever you want. If it was me and I had drilled it down to these two, I would choose the 1911 as long I was being honest with myself and I was shooting it a LOT! And practicing draws and trigger discipline, re-holstering, etc..

If was only going to shoot it at the range occasionally and not commit myself to 10,000 reps to get that muscle memory, I would go with the G23.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

OR

Dont worry too much about capacity. I think its BBI that quotes the average handgun use is 3 shots within 3 feet, and done in under 3 seconds.

Carry what works best for you, and if you want more ammo, stick an extra mag in your pocket.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Dont worry too much about capacity. I think its BBI that quotes the average handgun use is 3 shots within 3 feet, and done in under 3 seconds.

Carry what works best for you, and if you want more ammo, stick an extra mag in your pocket.

^^THIS^^ Capacity is WAY overated. While nice (I guess) it only gives one warm fuzzies. You will run out of time before you run out of bullets. John Wick is a movie bot gonna happen on a trip to Walmart.

And like like Tom Givens (I believe it was him but could be wrong) if you shoot all 15 or so rounds of a girl cap in a shooting you will be famous, if you conduct a reload and shoot more you'll be in an encyclopedia!

Good luck

Carry what you shoot well.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Carry something reliable. Went to a training exercise with a group of guys once. One had a 1911 and the rest disn’t. 1911 had several failures.

I’m not saying yours does, just make sure you can bet your life on it. (Lots of range time without failures)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

OR

Or, train and practice with the striker-fired gun with higher capacity until you shoot it as well or better than the 1911.

Your performance after training and practicing isn't necessarily going to the same as what was "natural" for you before. Also keep in mind that accuracy is only one part of the puzzle. You need to be "accurate enough" for a given shot and deliver it as quickly as you can. Slow firing 9 rounds from a 1911 and drilling the heart out of the ace of hearts card might be cool, but putting 9 or more rounds from Glock or M&P all on the playing card in 1/3 the time is probably better for defensive purposes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When your gun quits or runs out of ammo or gets lost or taken, can you effectively run the next one you come across?

The gun I carry and train and compete with is the same one I'll most likely come across.

If the majority of law enforcement, street thugs and random little girls can learn to shoot it well then so can I, and so can you.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I went through the same thought exercise in the last couple of years. I started carrying a CCO sized 1911 and loved it. Bought a Sig P226 Legion SAO and shot it much better, so I carried it for a year. Read a lot of books and threads on carrying and came to the conclusion that I wanted to carry something as simple as possible. Bought a compact sized striker fired gun that I liked (CZ P10c) and have taken a couple of training classes with it. I've carried this gun for 9 months or so and I really like it. I'm happy with my decision, but it's what I feel is right for me. I'd advise you to do the same. Read books on carrying and self defense, take some training classes and make up your own mind as to what is right for you. Everyone is different and what's right for me, isn't necessarily what's best for you. You can get other people's thoughts from a forum all you want, but it won't really help in the process that much. You might take some advice to heart, but carrying a gun and training with it will be the deciding factor. Good luck with your journey and your decision.

Top Bottom