Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: What to carry

User Info Menu

If you trust your ability with your 1911 then by all means it is the best gun in the world for you, without a doubt stick with it.

Guns are tools for self defense, and you wouldnt try to hammer a bunch of nails with a wrench right? Its as simple as carrying what you can shoot the best and then matching to the occasion or "Job". You have the right idea of the pistol being used to get you to rifle already.

Have you thought about both? I carry a J-frame when going to a wedding, Ruger Sp101 when out and about in town, but a full sized CZ-P09 when I'm operating a tow truck at 2 a.m. If you don't like carrying more than one gun for different days, then don't. I got used to by having a rifle with a grenade launcher attached, rocket launcher, and pistol on me all at once, and switching between a revolver and an auto dosnt bother me at all. Some it would, if it does then dont do it. But its something to consider.

If you dont like striker fired, dont get one. If you do like them, get one. Just be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of both and use it to fit your tool to its job. I like Hammers myself, im a single/double no safety kind of guy.

You can argue about size and caliber with others, but yet again those things change depending on the person and things like age, eye sight, weight and height and physical capabilities. Maybe ideal laboratory test can be used to argue a preference for caliber, but the reality outside the lab is a shot from a .22 that hits does more damage to the target than a whole magazine of 45acp that misses.

Fun fact, I have a friend that carrys a desert eagle. Lots of people think its silly when they hear it, but when they see he is 6 ft 8 and 300+ pounds and that he can palm a semi truck battery like a basket ball it makes more sense. He had trouble with a full sized Glock being too small for his hands and handles 50AE like most people handle 9mm. I mention it because people have a tendency to recommend things that work for them and not for the individual. I cant tell you what you like, you know yourself the best out of all of us, but I can say that when you find what works for you don't let others sway you away from it.
    Last edited by D.R.SCOTT; 12-20-2018 at 02:22.
    Nuke 'em till they glow, then shoot them in the dark!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D.R.SCOTT View Post
    If you trust your ability with your 1911 then by all means it is the best gun in the world for you, without a doubt stick with it.

Guns are tools for self defense, and you wouldnt try to hammer a bunch of nails with a wrench right? Its as simple as carrying what you can shoot the best and then matching to the occasion or "Job". You have the right idea of the pistol being used to get you to rifle already.

Have you thought about both? I carry a J-frame when going to a wedding, Ruger Sp101 when out and about in town, but a full sized CZ-P09 when I'm operating a tow truck at 2 a.m. If you don't like carrying more than one gun for different days, then don't. I got used to by having a rifle with a grenade launcher attached, rocket launcher, and pistol on me all at once, and switching between a revolver and an auto dosnt bother me at all. Some it would, if it does then dont do it. But its something to consider.

If you dont like striker fired, dont get one. If you do like them, get one. Just be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of both and use it to fit your tool to its job. I like Hammers myself, im a single/double no safety kind of guy.

You can argue about size and caliber with others, but yet again those things change depending on the person and things like age, eye sight, weight and height and physical capabilities. Maybe ideal laboratory test can be used to argue a preference for caliber, but the reality outside the lab is a shot from a .22 that hits does more damage to the target than a whole magazine of 45acp that misses.

Fun fact, I have a friend that carrys a desert eagle. Lots of people think its silly when they hear it, but when they see he is 6 ft 8 and 300+ pounds and that he can palm a semi truck battery like a basket ball it makes more sense. He had trouble with a full sized Glock being too small for his hands and handles 50AE like most people handle 9mm. I mention it because people have a tendency to recommend things that work for them and not for the individual. I cant tell you what you like, you know yourself the best out of all of us, but I can say that when you find what works for you don't let others sway you away from it.
    1. Different tools for different applications: well said!

User Info Menu

Listen to Rhino, Coach, NHT3, and as much as I hate to say it, Chezuki. :-)
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post

You may have earned space in my sig line.
    If you’re free you’ll never see the walls.

User Info Menu

I'm surprised that anyone owns a Desert Eagle that is reliable enough to be used as a carry gun! Training and practicing is going to get spendy with 50AE!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chezuki View Post

You may have earned space in my sig line.
    I'm honored!

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    I'm surprised that anyone owns a Desert Eagle that is reliable enough to be used as a carry gun! Training and practicing is going to get spendy with 50AE!
    You know as well as I do that he does not, in fact, train and practice with the DEagle in .50AE.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

I'm honored!

You know as well as I do that he does not, in fact, train and practice with the DEagle in .50AE.
    Oops!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Holy Shaq hands Batman! Palm a truck battery?! Glock frame being too small?! Wow....
    http://s6.postimg.org/q3wk2jfe9/Sulu_Shields.jpg

01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01100100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01000110 01101001 01110010 01110011 01110100 00101100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01101110 01100100 01100101 01101101 01101110 00100000 01000011 01101111 01101110 01100110 01101111 01110010 01101101 01101001 01110100 01111001

Plinker

User Info Menu

carry the gun you are comfortable with, both physically and mentally. It should be something that you can wear all day with no issues. Practice with it a lot.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6