Felony for ... checking on suspicious ... undercover ... what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    https://fox59.com/2018/12/19/homeow...qzskMmzl_phH0V_zadxuHu6wOgySSeqMBTkvNasS_kySc

I don't see this listed ...

Apologies if Duped ... (send to proper thread ... so I can find it) ...

Not sure how this warrants a felony if it is only as stated in the article ... more like a pat on the back and ... well ... ???

VERY LATE ETA (my mind is split between more things than usual and I meant to note) -
    I Meant to imply with the "IF IT IS ONLY AS STATED" - that there are clearly a lot of unknowns - that could change one's review of this.
    the what was said (exactly) how was it said (exactly) were jestures made (or implied) ... what was the "confrontational" aspect - how was the confinement "done" ...

and what happened to manners? it seems and "polite society" ... oh well ... speculate on ...

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Yeah, probably not smart to go play neighborhood Punisher because you see a suspicious car. They should teach classes on when to get involved while armed and when to be a good witness...

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Who said he had a gun? If he didn't draw was it open carry or what?

Maybe he has an insulin pump on his belt that he put his hand on. :dunno:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Having a pistol does not make you Batman.

No badge=no making silly threats such as this, allegedly.

Obviously a pistol doesn't make you batman (duh you need batarangs ... LOL) ...
    but
    I don't see where he made threats
    I don't even read that the pistol was "visible" ...
    how did he block the car to cause "confinement" ... A lot of what if's ... for nothing happening at the scene and then felony charges
    for doing ... ???

anyway ...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Let’s weigh two options:

#1 - Confront a suspicious person yourself.

Best case scenario: You scare them into someone else’s neighborhood.

Worst case scenario: You get into a violent confrontation over your neighbor’s box of hand towels and Christmas ornaments from Amazon.

#2 - Write down the license plate and call the police.

Best case scenario: The police stop the car. Maybe they find a bunch of stolen packages. Packages are returned and arrest is made.

Worst case scenario: None.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    retaliation for filling complaint?

thats-unpossible.jpg

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I agree. Watch. Report. Follow if you can do so safely and only confront as the very last resort if you or the safety of others is at risk.

I sure hope this is not a case of contempt of cop, ego, pride, etc. Obviously the prosecutor thought there was enough probable cause to issue a warrant. I sure hope this shakes out well for all parties involved.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let’s weigh two options:

#1 - Confront a suspicious person yourself.

Best case scenario: You scare them into someone else’s neighborhood.

Worst case scenario: You get into a violent confrontation over your neighbor’s box of hand towels and Christmas ornaments from Amazon.

#2 - Write down the license plate and call the police.

Best case scenario: The police stop the car. Maybe they find a bunch of stolen packages. Packages are returned and arrest is made.

Worst case scenario: None.

In this age of cell phones and their ability's pic of the plates as you drive by or video with the driver/plates/car in it. Perfect witness.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    retaliation for filling complaint?

Looks that way to me..
    If the citizen was doing something wrong at the time, why was he not arrested by the UC or his back up??
    No problems here until AFTER the complaint was filed...

Sounds like someone got butt hurt.

Why is that? The officer hands this off to the felony screener at the Prosecutor's office and they make the final determination of what, if any, charges get filed. I would bet this was started before the officer was aware of the complaint. Correlation does not always equal causation. Regardless of what the media frames it like. So we are taking the wife's word that they complained? To whom? Depends on who they spoke to their complaint could be nothing more than a conversation with a supervisor at the scene to a formal complaint that would take weeks before the officer was notified.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Why is that? The officer hands this off to the felony screener at the Prosecutor's office and they make the final determination of what, if any, charges get filed. I would bet this was started before the officer was aware of the complaint. Correlation does not always equal causation. Regardless of what the media frames it like. So we are taking the wife's word that they complained? To whom? Depends on who they spoke to their complaint could be nothing more than a conversation with a supervisor at the scene to a formal complaint that would take weeks before the officer was notified.

[video=youtube_share;FClGhto1vIg]https://youtu.be/FClGhto1vIg[/video]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Obviously a pistol doesn't make you batman (duh you need batarangs ... LOL) ...
    but
    I don't see where he made threats

I don't even read that the pistol was "visible" ...
    how did he block the car to cause "confinement" ... A lot of what if's ... for nothing happening at the scene and then felony charges
    for doing ... ???

anyway ...

Do you want me to yammer on about case law, because this is how you get Freeman to yammer.

Top Bottom