What about us wheelgunners? What is your choice of handgun and holster for EDC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Yeah, I know that semi-autos are the rage right now, but there is just something about the look, feel, and dependability of a revolver that appeals to many of us. Read and enjoyed the recent post about what are the prevalent choices for EDC in the semi-auto world, but what about us wheelgunners? What are your choices of weapon and your preferred way to carry it? And pictures are more than welcome.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Look and feel don't translate to combat effectiveness, and the "reliability" advantage doesn't really exist anymore. There's no timing issues, frame stretch, or lockup problems with a Glock. I just don't see a reason to carry a gun that is the size of a Glock, holds 1/3 of the ammunition, is slower to reload, and is either less effective (.38) or more difficult to shoot (.357+). They're not "useless", specifically, but duty revolvers are decidedly obsolete.

The little guys still have some advantages. I ditched a CW380 in favor of a S&W 442 for a deep conceal gun. I find the 442 to be more comfortable to carry, easier to conceal, and in fact more reliable than the Kahr. Though wider at the cylinder, the frame and barrel are thinner and the rounded grip hides easier than a blocky, rectangular .380. Cartridge effectiveness is a wash between the two, though .38 may have the edge due to being able to run heavier bullets and eke out a little more reliable penetration.

So I still like revolvers in that specific application, but as a primary or lord forbid a duty weapon? Nah, their day is over. My regular size six-shooters are range toys that I would never pick up for serious defensive use. It's like trying to drive a Model T on an interstate highway.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Although my main EDC is a XDs, I pocket carry a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. It also lives in my pocket around the house.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    640-1 and model 60-10.....

rimg.php

rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I will often carry my Smith and Wesson 360PD in a pocket holster or in my 5-Shot Leather ankle rig. Its my "running to the gas station for snacks" rig since it is so lightweight and easy to carry. That and occasionally it takes on BUG duty but I do not carry a BUG with any regularity at all

buyVHAnh.jpg

SQIzqkBh.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    but what about us wheelgunners? What are your choices of weapon and your preferred way to carry it? And pictures are more than welcome.

What about wheelgunners? Well, you have to go to school like everyone else.

You want a medium frame weapon with a tube enough for the ejector rod to be optimally sized. 4" K frame is likely optimal. Maybe an N if you can.

You want a fluted cylinder for indexing when reloading, especially pair loading or singles.

You want a smooth trigger, maybe narrower on the end. Nice big clean sights.

Stocks to fill in the gap. Craig's rock, but many good ones. You want them hard and slick so they don't cling to clothing.

You want a nice OWB with a nicer belt. You want your holster as stiff as possible when you invert your weapon for one handed reloading.. That's why I use horsehide, YMMV.

You want good gear, but more importantly, you want school. Your software will select your hardware. Get trained up, everything else will follow on.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    We have a few revolvers but not many of them get carried. The 642 sees the belt every now and then, more so until my PPS gets back from the recall. The GP100 3" WC is nice to shoot, but it doesn't get carried or even leave the house unless the weather is good. The factory finish on it is crap. The 625 PC is great to play with but just too much to carry.

I'd like to add the new S&W 66 and 69 in 2 3/4" barrels. Expensive for what they are though, kind of hard to justify.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We have a few revolvers but not many of them get carried. The 642 sees the belt every now and then, more so until my PPS gets back from the recall. The GP100 3" WC is nice to shoot, but it doesn't get carried or even leave the house unless the weather is good. The factory finish on it is crap. The 625 PC is great to play with but just too much to carry.

I'd like to add the new S&W 66 and 69 in 2 3/4" barrels. Expensive for what they are though, kind of hard to justify.

I feel the same way about O/U shotguns. Even a modest one runs $1700-2000. I do know that a fair amount of engineering (and machining) go into both a revolver and a shotgun and good quality steel is expensive. I work with plastic injection molds that often cost more than $500,000 to make. But by now, engineering costs on guns should be mostly complete and modern machining equipment that has been fully depreciated should bring costs down some.

But you also have the marketing department that will take advantage of a resurgence in interest in the wheel gun.:)

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I feel the same way about O/U shotguns. Even a modest one runs $1700-2000. I do know that a fair amount of engineering (and machining) go into both a revolver and a shotgun and good quality steel is expensive. I work with plastic injection molds that often cost more than $500,000 to make. But by now, engineering costs on guns should be mostly complete and modern machining equipment that has been fully depreciated should bring costs down some.

But you also have the marketing department that will take advantage of a resurgence in interest in the wheel gun.:)

Yep. I'm sure I'll eventually do it. It just sucks to see them cost as much if not more than their older versions used to when they were new/popular, especially with all the cost cutting that's been done to them.

I really want that special edition 642 I had several years ago back. It was the 642 with a 2.5" barrel, pinned front sight, & full ejector rod. I haven't seen one in a long time, I shouldn't have sold mine. I intended to replace it but never did, now they're gone. :(

Eastside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I usually carry my g26 daily. But in winter months I like to carry my gp100. I believe in the rule of 3s....6 rounds of 357 has never left me feeling unsafe. I'd compare it to carry my canon when my slim galaxy cellphone has even more megapixels and can get the job done....

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    "Look and feel don't translate to combat effectiveness,"

Look and feel don't translate to combat effectiveness, and the "reliability" advantage doesn't really exist anymore. There's no timing issues, frame stretch, or lockup problems with a Glock. I just don't see a reason to carry a gun that is the size of a Glock, holds 1/3 of the ammunition, is slower to reload, and is either less effective (.38) or more difficult to shoot (.357+). They're not "useless", specifically, but duty revolvers are decidedly obsolete.

The little guys still have some advantages. I ditched a CW380 in favor of a S&W 442 for a deep conceal gun. I find the 442 to be more comfortable to carry, easier to conceal, and in fact more reliable than the Kahr. Though wider at the cylinder, the frame and barrel are thinner and the rounded grip hides easier than a blocky, rectangular .380. Cartridge effectiveness is a wash between the two, though .38 may have the edge due to being able to run heavier bullets and eke out a little more reliable penetration.

So I still like revolvers in that specific application, but as a primary or lord forbid a duty weapon? Nah, their day is over. My regular size six-shooters are range toys that I would never pick up for serious defensive use. It's like trying to drive a Model T on an interstate highway.

I'll start with YES, I usually carry a Glock G-26, or G-19. They are fine weapons for their purpose.

As per quoted title, when I "Buckle Up" with a carry weapon it is NOT for "combat effectiveness" it is for defensive use, not offensive use. To me, offensive use that is what combat use is. I am not a Police Officer, or out to save the world--Just my Family, and myself. At times my 5 or 6 round wheel guns will fill that use.

Yes, there is a different mindset to using a revolver for defensive use. You REALLY want each round to count. Have you ever heard the expression of "A Lawyer attached to every bullet fired"??

And as far as revolver load performance, there has been great advancements to wheel gun rounds TOO...Can you say "Speer Short barrel loads"?

As I stated, yes I will usually have on a G-26, or a G-19, but I can work with my S&W 36, S&W 19, or my S&W 681 also.

Ever heard the expression, "Do not think that an Old Man with a revolver is a push over=He probably knows how to use it"...Bill.

Top Bottom