• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Has anyone former military police gotten the LEOSA act permit? What all have you had to do? Thanks all in advance. Looking to get started and not a lot of great information that I had been able to find yet.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’ve yet to see an Army MP gain the creds, but have seen a couple of AF SP’s with a “carry card”. I’m still trying to get mine from the Big Green.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Each department is authorized to set it's own standards and qualification course. I completed IMPDs qualification course last February. At that time, they were issuing a simple card which only states you have met their standards. I understand they are now issuing a photo ID card with LEOSA info on the back. I'm due to renew next month as the license is annual. It is good nationwide.

PS. I have never seen the application in blue falcon's link but I know some departments have very stringent standards and/or charge ridiculous fees.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I found it funny yet a Crock that the services had an outside contractor issue the LE ID and charged them. The USAF actually have to renew it every 4 or so years. Glad I'm with DOJ and don't have to mess with the USAF red tape

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I found it funny yet a Crock that the services had an outside contractor issue the LE ID and charged them. The USAF actually have to renew it every 4 or so years. Glad I'm with DOJ and don't have to mess with the USAF red tape

I think you'll find that the LEOSA handgun license is only good for one year. You have to go through the qualification in order to renew.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    What a PITA that application process looks like! Is it really worth the hassle? An Indiana LTC, and a Florida or Utah permit allows you to carry in a whole lot of states!

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    What a PITA that application process looks like! Is it really worth the hassle? An Indiana LTC, and a Florida or Utah permit allows you to carry in a whole lot of states!

Just getting my Indiana permit now because it looked like a PITA to try and get this. Course, now I'll have the one, might as well try to get the other as well.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Just getting my Indiana permit now because it looked like a PITA to try and get this. Course, now I'll have the one, might as well try to get the other as well.

If you're LEOSA eligible, I urge you to check with the department where you have to qualify. Their process may well be a great deal different. I didn't have to do that PITA application posted above. The junk you find on the internet doesn't always apply.

By the way, I also have a lifetime LTCH issued to me by IPD when I retired.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I think you'll find that the LEOSA handgun license is only good for one year. You have to go through the qualification in order to renew.

Drib, are you referring to the firearms qualifications or the LEO ID expiring? My credentials don't expire. When I retire I will turn my current credentials in and then will be issued a "Retired Federal LEO" ID and that's what we carry on.

I understand as a retired since my agency does not offer yearly qualifications for retired Officers I fall on the state standard which isn't a big issue here as there are several sources to use

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    If you're LEOSA eligible, I urge you to check with the department where you have to qualify. Their process may well be a great deal different. I didn't have to do that PITA application posted above. The junk you find on the internet doesn't always apply.

By the way, I also have a lifetime LTCH issued to me by IPD when I retired.

Thanks. I might have been able to get the discount on my application because of being retired Military Police, but I wasn't 100 percent and it wasn't too different in price.
    Since my was Army LEO, I wasn't sure if I went Local (where I currently live), State or Federal?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Thanks. I might have been able to get the discount on my application because of being retired Military Police, but I wasn't 100 percent and it wasn't too different in price.
    Since my was Army LEO, I wasn't sure if I went Local (where I currently live), State or Federal?

It doesn't matter where you retired from you fall within your state requirements. I am Federal DOJ and since my Agency has yet to offer a retired qualification for LEOSA our retired folks go through an ILEA instructor. Specifically a Clay County Deputy. Below is his site. It's free except a 10 dollar curtosy fee for the range at Protec.

Panther Precision Arms Training / Brazil, IN 47834

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Are you speaking of your IPD “Retired Creds”, since the ISP issues LTCH’s or something else wholly different?

Technically, it was issued by ISP but the entire process was handled at/by IPD. Never needing one before, I was not familiar with the process at that time. "Retired Creds" are direct-deposited to my checking account monthly. :)

Of note: When I retired, having a LTCH or being a cop meant you didn't have to go through a background check to buy a gun. Five years later a dealer told me my LTCH was "expired" for the purposes of avoiding the background check even though it was a lifetime license. I checked, he was right. Got the license renewed and shortly thereafter, that little benefit went away and I became more familiar with the 4473.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Are you speaking of your IPD “Retired Creds”, since the ISP issues LTCH’s or something else wholly different?

Retired LEOs get the LTCH issued gratis in Indiana. I don't know for sure, but I think this predates LEOSA and was a way to guarantee retired officers continued to be able to carry when they turned in their badge.

DataGeek19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Retired LEOs get the LTCH issued gratis in Indiana. I don't know for sure, but I think this predates LEOSA and was a way to guarantee retired officers continued to be able to carry when they turned in their badge.

IC35-47-2-4 = Either retired or after 20 years of service.

[FONT=&quot](d) The following officers of this state or the United States who have been honorably retired by a lawfully created pension board or its equivalent after at least twenty (20) years of service or because of a disability are exempt from the payment of fees specified in subsection (b):[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](1) Police officers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](2) Sheriffs or their deputies.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](3) Law enforcement officers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](4) Correctional officers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (e) The following officers described in section 3(e) of this chapter who have at least twenty (20) years of service are exempt from the payment of fees for a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license specified in subsection (b):[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (1) Police officers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (2) Sheriffs or their deputies.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (3) Law enforcement officers of the United States government.[/FONT]

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    IC35-47-2-4 = Either retired or after 20 years of service.

[FONT=&amp](d) The following officers of this state or the United States who have been honorably retired by a lawfully created pension board or its equivalent after at least twenty (20) years of service or because of a disability are exempt from the payment of fees specified in subsection (b):[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) Police officers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) Sheriffs or their deputies.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](3) Law enforcement officers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](4) Correctional officers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (e) The following officers described in section 3(e) of this chapter who have at least twenty (20) years of service are exempt from the payment of fees for a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license specified in subsection (b):[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (1) Police officers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (2) Sheriffs or their deputies.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (3) Law enforcement officers of the United States government.[/FONT]

It seems like this is a recent change, 2017 maybe?

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    It doesn't matter where you retired from you fall within your state requirements. I am Federal DOJ and since my Agency has yet to offer a retired qualification for LEOSA our retired folks go through an ILEA instructor. Specifically a Clay County Deputy. Below is his site. It's free except a 10 dollar curtosy fee for the range at Protec.

Panther Precision Arms Training / Brazil, IN 47834

Thank you. I am sure I can get qualified. Just wasn't sure which standard it was to, or even whom I needed to see. And most of the literature always refers to going back to your last place, but mine being Germany, not sure how that would go. Well, technically it was Rock Island, but only there as the Community Based Warrior Transition Unit. Thanks.

Top Bottom