Would you have lived through the attack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The mentally deranged man that kidnapped the thirteen year old, who just escaped, had an evil plan. He blew the hinges off of the door with his shotgun and immediately murdered the adults encountered to kidnap the girl.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/12/us/jayme-closs-found-saturday/index.html

Would you have had the hardware in hand, the training and the mindset to stop this heathen, who seemingly came from nowhere?

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    To be 100% honest........I don't know. I would like to think I would able to handle it.......but unless you are actually put in that situation......I don't honestly know.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Absolutely. If you arent carrying your pistol in your house like you do when you leave it then you are asking for this to happen. In bed, it had better be within arms length and rapidly deployed.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I try to be ready to go at all times. The pistol is on me or nearby always. Usually here at home I have back up. Doing the best we can to no be a soft target.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Blowing the hinges off the door could take some time to sort out exactly what is happening. Especially if you weren't in the same room as the door.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    If they come through the door with the initiave, a shotgun, half a plan, and a serious commitment to that plan... Well it sounds like I'm well behind the curve. I'd like to say I'd be the hero, but a pattern of shot put in to my chest might make that difficult.

If I were the one coming through the door to surprise some poor, unsuspecting bastard, I'd think I had the upper hand.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I always have a pistol within reach or on me and would be able to respond.
    Don't know whether my shots would take effect on him before he was able to shoot me too though.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I have a gun on me at all times even in my home.
    I am pretty sure I'm ready for pretty much anything. (IF I didn't **** all over myself)

Clean your pants later.

Bigggest point is the distance between you and 1st firearm AFTER you figure out that its needed. Thats a chain of mentality and awareness.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    There are kids in the house. From experience, first response after hearing gunshots in the neighborhood is to put them under the bed and shelter. And all the guns are locked up. I don't have the luxury of leaving one on the nightstand or behind the door. I would fight like a dog gun or not. Odds are I'll never find out. Does make a point of staying alive to protect them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Bigggest point is the distance between you and 1st firearm AFTER you figure out that its needed. Thats a chain of mentality and awareness.

On the belt or in the pocket ain't much distance. ;)

That's the distance I want while I'm sorting out what the noise is. Earthquake, car wreck, sonic boom, etc…
    ... or attacker.

In my house, this sorting out will most likely be accompanied by some background noise of some sort to further confuse. TV, music, etc. :rolleyes:

I tell myself that I would seek cover/concealment (and the long gun) instead of running to see the commotion, but...? :dunno:

In a perfect world, surveillance would have caught the attacker's approach and alerted. Systems can fail or be compromised though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I try to be ready to go at all times. The pistol is on me or nearby always. Usually here at home I have back up. Doing the best we can to no be a soft target.

2 dedicated flat screen TV's looking through 8 cameras. I hear a noise my eyes go to one of them as habit. Car door, bump, yell, dogs next door going off yup we are looking. Never to far out of reach of something to defend with. Discharge a shotgun into the house and be ready to get ate up with outgoing rounds. I might come off keyboard commando but not so much. If you saw the lay out here you would understand.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I had my door kicked in and had a pistol put to my head. It was a matter of maybe 2 seconds. I had a 1911 just a few feet away and no time to get to it.
    Things happen fast.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had my door kicked in and had a pistol put to my head. It was a matter of maybe 2 seconds. I had a 1911 just a few feet away and no time to get to it.
    Things happen fast.

Yes. Yes they do. I have had the same experience at a friends house in another life. Lessons learned that day.

-Pinned hinges on all 3 entry doors.
    -Dead bolts and strikers register into metal angle that is screwed into the house frame work not the wimpy 1X door jamb.
    -Steel security screen doors also screwed into the house frame.
    -I seriously doubt an average man could just kick in any of the doors.
    -This would allow even our tired old butts to grab a handful and be at the ready.
    -We do not spend much time by the front door anyway.

Not Ft Knox but it will slow you down.....a lot. So yes, we would have a fighting chance.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Time is what you need to react. Someone not familiar with the layout of your house isn't going to know where you sleep or how to get there. Heavily secured doors and windows too high to crawl through also slow down intruders.

I've always suspected that most successful home invaders already have some idea what's inside, either from info obtained from previous visitors or first hand.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. Yes they do. I have had the same experience at a friends house in another life. Lessons learned that day.

-Pinned hinges on all 3 entry doors.
    -Dead bolts and strikers register into metal angle that is screwed into the house frame work not the wimpy 1X door jamb.
    -Steel security screen doors also screwed into the house frame.
    -I seriously doubt an average man could just kick in any of the doors.
    -This would allow even our tired old butts to grab a handful and be at the ready.
    -We do not spend much time by the front door anyway.

Not Ft Knox but it will slow you down.....a lot. So yes, we would have a fighting chance.

This reminds me. IF you havent done so already, reinforce your doors. At the very least replace the exterior door strike screws with 3" screws, as well as the screws that hold the hinge to the frame. At the very least. That is like an $8 box of screws and 5 minutes of your time. The normal 1" screws only go into your frame, which is really weak. The longer screws secure the hardware to the sturdy 2x4 roughed in frame.

If you can, add a Door Devil or similar anti kick device.

EDIT: This is what happens when you dont use one. (or at least add longer screws)

iu

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I hope so. But how could anyone know for sure? I have a glock one arms length away as I type. But im not going to put it on my belt to go to the kitchen and get a drink.

fun excercise, lay on your bed and have a buddy/gf/wife come from the outside of your front door to where you are laying as fast as they can.

Itll blow your mind how long it DOESNT take.

Top Bottom