• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. Allow me to present my case for your consideration. I am an older gentleman who grew up cutting my teeth on revolvers. Have owned and enjoyed everything from .22s to a lovely 629 .44 magnum. My choice of EDC has been a 2" S&W model 60 .357 for years now. Due to undo pressure from my son and arthritis creeping up in my hands, I am seriously considering switching to a semi auto pistol for an easier trigger pull and ammo capacity.

This brings me to the case at hand. He keeps telling me to get a 9mm that fits my hand well and that is good advice. My concern is that for years I have always heard that 9s do not quit carry enough "punch" and I am used to "umph" of a .357. I want a round that, should I ever have to use my weapon, the bad guy will know that he has been shot immediately.

In your collective opinion, how does a 9mm perform as a defensive weapon. And please do not tell me that if it is good enough for the military or LEO, that it should be good enough for me. Far to much politics in both decisions for me. I have heard that quite a few soldiers carry a .45 ACP because they have way more faith in it. Which brings up that question as well. What about a .40 S&W or .45 ACP? Capacity is all well and good, but almost all confrontations are settled with 2-4 shots fired. And shot placement is far for important than "spray and pray" tactics.

I await your verdicts.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    9mm is enough. In my opinion it is the bottom level of enough and I would not go below it. But after reading your carefully written statement you do not think it is enough. Get .40 or .45 that fits your hand well and you will be more comfortable.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    No matter what they are shot with, pistol rounds suck. He won’t know he’s been shot immediately. Shoot what you can accurately put deliberate follow up shots on target if need be. 9mm is sufficient. The handgun caliber wars are still around, it less rampant these says. What shots well and is comfortable, with a time tested modern HP

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    No matter what they are shot with, pistol rounds suck. He wonÂ’t know heÂ’s been shot immediately. Shoot what you can accurately put deliberate follow up shots on target if need be. 9mm is sufficient. The handgun caliber wars are still around, it less rampant these says. What shots well and is comfortable, with a time tested modern HP

Did you just assume the criminals gender? Modern defense ammo of all calibers is pretty impressive these days, caliber is pretty irrelevant IMO. I’ve never felt “under gunned” carrying 9mm, it’s what I prefer. Cost would be the biggest factor, just my two cents. The more you can shoot and practice the better your odds are of winning a gunfight, which in reality will probably be spitting distance and a handful of rounds anyway. I carry a .45 but it’s at work only because I’m forced to. All of my personal carry guns are 9mm.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The energy difference between common handgun calibers is really not worth debating. You would need to step up to something fairly "nuts" to up your muzzle energy appreciably, and even then, it is laughably small compared to a rifle. Carry a quality round, in a reliable handgun, and get shots on target.

PistolPowerComparisonWildcats.jpg

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Just make sure you have enough hand strength to work the slide on a autoloader. Maybe have that 60 slicked up by someone that knows what they are doing and continue to carry it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just make sure you have enough hand strength to work the slide on a autoloader. Maybe have that 60 slicked up by someone that knows what they are doing and continue to carry it.

This is what I would do. If I made it to an "older" age (whatever that may be :)) carrying a nice Smith, I would get it worked over by Sand Burr or BossHoss and keep carrying on.

All the youngster's and those in the know (supposedly) promote the semi-autos ad nausea. You have made it this far with a revolver.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    9mm is enough. In my opinion it is the bottom level of enough and I would not go below it. But after reading your carefully written statement you do not think it is enough. Get .40 or .45 that fits your hand well and you will be more comfortable.

This right here.

I carry a 9mm and feel comfortable doing so, but it's not the same as .357 mag, no matter what anyone tries to tell you.

It sounds like your main concern is manipulating the gun, not handling recoil. If you aren't sold on 9mm go bigger.

[video=youtube_share;CD2t_qG9dls]http://youtu.be/CD2t_qG9dls[/video]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As a couple of people have suggested, if you think the 9mm is insufficient don't carry it unless or until you change your mind. If I am going to only carry 7 (give or take 1) rounds in a gun, it is probably going to be .45.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I carry a Glock 30 (45 ACP). I don't do this for extra knockdown power, I do this because I shoot it better than my G19 (basically the same size), and I was willing to trade a few rounds in the mag for the accuracy. I figure if I need more than 11, I'm probably screwed anyways.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I carry a Glock 30 (45 ACP). I don't do this for extra knockdown power, I do this because I shoot it better than my G19 (basically the same size), and I was willing to trade a few rounds in the mag for the accuracy. I figure if I need more than 11, I'm probably screwed anyways.

Bingo. Well said.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    9mm is fine.... WITH MODERN HIGH QUALITY AMMUNITION for self defense.

Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, Hornady Critical Duty are all street proven.

Range ammo is really cheap for 9mm. Follow up shots can be quicker due to lighter recoil than .40 or .45. Capacity will be greater the the .4's in the same size pistol.

You have to decide if all that really matters to you. .40's can be had really cheap now also.

I'd recommend trying out as many as you can and see what you like. That's the only way to really know.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This right here.

I carry a 9mm and feel comfortable doing so, but it's not the same as .357 mag, no matter what anyone tries to tell you.

It sounds like your main concern is manipulating the gun, not handling recoil. If you aren't sold on 9mm go bigger.

I like Paul's style.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My buddy and I had a "revolver day" at the range yesterday. My buddy shoots his revolvers way better than I shoot mine. I say, as others have, if you have carried that Model 60 for years, have it tuned for a little slicker action and drive on. Carry what you are accustomed to and have faith in. Maybe upgrade to a larger 686 if the weight of the revolver is not an issue. Fiber optic sights for low light. Spring kits for a lighter trigger pull. Lots of ways to keep you shooting the Model 60 for years to come. if weight becomes an issue, the scandium frame guns are a joy to carry and recoil can be mitigated with .38 Special +p loads. I carry my 340PD with Winchester PDX .38 +p and it shoots them very well. I installed a Hogue Tamer grip on my 340 and even .357 Mags are manageable.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I could only think of one gun while reading through the post, the model 60. If you want a new gun, get you one. There ain't nothing wrong with carrying the 60.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    If I read your post correctly, your concern with the revolver is trigger pull, not recoil, is that correct? Why not stay with your caliber of choice & look at a semi auto in .357? I'm too lazy to do your homework for you, but I know Glock has pistols in this caliber; I'm sure other mfgs do, as well. :twocents:

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    If the arthritis is causing concerns about strength / pain affecting your trigger pull, it seems like there would be an associated effect on your grip on the gun. I'm not dealing with arthritis myself (yet) but it seems like this would be another reason to consider a "softer" shooting option.

Top Bottom