• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    [video=youtube;3gBpNusau98]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBpNusau98[/video]
    Lessons learned:

Know how your alarm system works.
    Answer your phone when the alarm company calls you.
    If people are screaming at each other in the house when the police arrive to check a panic alarm, you might get popped if you throw open the door and point your gun at the police.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news...er-justified-false-alarm-shooting/2614071002/

This was the rookie officer's first patrol shift, and the homeowner was also a sheriff's employee.

This one could have turned out much worse.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    That cop needs to work on his aim. Little off otherwise that was a great reaction shot. :yesway:

The yelling and screaming in the house, that door flying open with a gun at the ready? That homeowner deserved to get shot right then. 100%

WWthMhQ.png

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    [video=youtube;3gBpNusau98]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBpNusau98[/video]
    Lessons learned:

Know how your alarm system works.
    Answer your phone when the alarm company calls you.
    If people are screaming at each other in the house when the police arrive to check a panic alarm, you might get popped if you throw open the door and point your gun at the police.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news...er-justified-false-alarm-shooting/2614071002/

This was the rookie officer's first patrol shift, and the homeowner was also a sheriff's employee.

This one could have turned out much worse.
    All of these things are very true.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    That cop needs to work on his aim. Little off otherwise that was a great reaction shot. :yesway:

The yelling and screaming in the house, that door flying open with a gun at the ready? That homeowner deserved to get shot right then. 100%

WWthMhQ.png

Person creeping in back yard, house alarm going off. Me as a homeowner, I'm going to be armed and at the ready. 10/10 this cop would have killed this guy's dog if it would have been I n the back yard. Knock on the front door with lights flashing on the patrol car out front so you don't get mistook as the reason for an alarm going off. This clandestine creeping cop game around the back and sides of houses is dangerous for everyone involved.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Person creeping in back yard, house alarm going off. Me as a homeowner, I'm going to be armed and at the ready. 10/10 this cop would have killed this guy's dog if it would have been I n the back yard. Knock on the front door with lights flashing on the patrol car out front so you don't get mistook as the reason for an alarm going off. This clandestine creeping cop game around the back and sides of houses is dangerous for everyone involved.
    Well, if I NEVER want to catch any burglars I guess. I've caught many a burglar on home alarm runs. We will check the ENTIRE perimeter of an alarm, that includes the backyard if it is accessible. Walking around in a conspicuously marked police uniform is not "creeping".

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

roll.gif

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Well, if I NEVER want to catch any burglars I guess. I've caught many a burglar on home alarm runs. We will check the ENTIRE perimeter of an alarm, that includes the backyard if it is accessible. Walking around in a conspicuously marked police uniform is not "creeping".

Shooting a homeowner whom is legally wielding a firearm while checking out a man wearing all black with a gun in the backyard while his home alarm is going off seems like something that should be looked down on. Not "hE dEsErVeD iT" "CoP shulda shot mo betta". Maybe police uniforms should be more reflective and easily detectable so that this type of misidentification doesn't happen over and over.

Typical backlash against any type of criticism to law enforcement tactics that are questionable. This is INGO so I'll take my beating on here by the thin blue liners, but if I were a cop I think I'd take note that we live in a country, and state, that allows people to defend themselves with firearms. Skulking around a backyard while the alarm is blaring, when no cop has checked in with the front door to let the owner know of their presence seems like an unnecessary risk only to catch a b and e suspect who will get probation.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If you don’t want cops creeping around your property, don’t have a home alarm that summons them. That’s why we go, because we are called and obligated to go. If you set off your alarm you KNOW the cops are coming. That’s how this works.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you don’t want cops creeping around your property, don’t have a home alarm that summons them. That’s why we go, because we are called and obligated to go. If you set off your alarm you KNOW the cops are coming. That’s how this works.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that one cop by himself probably shouldn't go straight into the backyard without letting the home owner know someone has responded. Response times vary wildly. If there is an alarm blaring and you took 5 - 10 minutes to get on scene odds are probably against you even if you go straight into the back yard. I don't believe there is any defense for shooting a homeowner who has a gun and believes he is defending his life and home, but the mood here quickly related to how the cop should have made a better shot and killed henry homeowner, rather than take a critical look at a scenario that could have lead to 1 of 2 innocent people killing one another. Risk management should be a real tool. Until we stop being overly sensitive about this stuff nothing will get addressed.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    One of the basic rules of dealing with the fine blue line after a self-defense shooting is "Never talk to the police! Get a lawyer and say nothing until you have good legal counsel."

I noticed that this gun-happy cop had only one solution for the home owner. "GET ON THE GROUND!" Just for the record, I will not bow or bend the knee to any LEO. I will show my hands, obey other commands, but I WILL NOT GO TO MY KNEES OR HIT THE DIRT.

This event, along with the Rightsell event, and the recent conviction of an officer in Chicago for shooting a citizen who refused to obey his commands leads me to a new basic insight for dealing with emergency events. NEVER call for LEO. They can no longer be trusted.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This event, along with the Rightsell event, and the recent conviction of an officer in Chicago for shooting a citizen who refused to obey his commands leads me to a new basic insight for dealing with emergency events. NEVER call for LEO. They can no longer be trusted.

No man is an island, so maybe call Ggreen if you’re ever in a jam. He’s got it all figured out.

Top Bottom