• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I’ve had different answers to this question. I have recently moved to this state from Tennessee. Although I have started the carry permit process here in Indiana, it is not finished. I’m at the last step where I have to go to the local law enforcement office. I do still have a valid Tennessee carry permit which I know is honored by the state of Indiana. Am I legal to carry with my Tennessee permit even though I am an Indiana resident now?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm gonna say no. Beacause you are no longer a resident of TN, your TN license is no longer valid. But I'm not a lawyer and this is a hunch, not legal advice.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Good discussion point here. At what point are you an "Indiana Resident"? 30 days? Entering a lease or buying a house? After getting an Indiana driver's license? Paying the light bill? All I have are questions, no answers.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Good discussion point here. At what point are you an "Indiana Resident"? 30 days? Entering a lease or buying a house? After getting an Indiana driver's license? Paying the light bill? All I have are questions, no answers.

Wouldn't being able to register to vote be the standard for that question? and I may be wrong but I thought that was 60 days.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The legal test would be if you dislike the state of Kentucky and the New England Patriots, you are officially a resident.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wouldn't being able to register to vote be the standard for that question? and I may be wrong but I thought that was 60 days.
    How to prove residency:
    https://www.in.gov/bmv/2436.htm

Some general residency requirements (not an "official" source, but a decent summary):
    https://www.sapling.com/8288613/long-indiana-before-claim-residency

Looks lie you need to be living in Indiana for either 27 or 30 days (haven't looked for the actual IC yet) before you can register to vote.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Good discussion point here. At what point are you an "Indiana Resident"?...

The moment you move here with the intention to make it your residence (stay indefinitely or to reside here- make it your home- for a period of time).

I don't know if the Tennessee permit is valid. That's a different question.

What I do know is that it is not valid for carry in Indiana.

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-2-21.

Last edited:

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    The moment you move here with the intention to make it your residence (stay indefinitely or to reside here- make it your home- for a period of time).

So basically if someone wanted to be legal to carry from the moment they moved here, they would first have to get the 4 year license and then at a later date get the lifetime license?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I’ve had different answers to this question. I have recently moved to this state from Tennessee. Although I have started the carry permit process here in Indiana, it is not finished. I’m at the last step where I have to go to the local law enforcement office. I do still have a valid Tennessee carry permit which I know is honored by the state of Indiana. Am I legal to carry with my Tennessee permit even though I am an Indiana resident now?

Others will most likely know the right answer but since you are so close with getting Indiana's license, I would not chance anything. The process for the Lifetime is very fast. Once you visit the police station, it may take a week, not much more. Rumor has it they are doing away with the Lifetime so get it now if you want that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You can just go straight to the lifetime.

You cannot obtain a Lifetime if you are not a resident.

(g) The superintendent may not issue a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state. The superintendent may issue a four (4) year qualified license or a four (4) year unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state and who has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter.

Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-2-4.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

So basically if someone wanted to be legal to carry from the moment they moved here, they would first have to get the 4 year license and then at a later date get the lifetime license?

This most certainly sounds like an issue we should be bringing to the attention of pro 2A state legislators like Jim Lucas. It makes no sense that someone with an out of state permit / license, should lose the ability to carry on that license the first day they officially "move" to Indiana. It seems like a 120-180 day grace period would be reasonable.

Approval for my LTCH took 16 weeks (112 days) back during the panic period after Sandy Hook when seemingly everyone in the state was applying for licenses. Had someone else moved here from out of state, they would have no ability to carry, even if they had a valid license from their former state.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I agree with you. I'm not saying anyone would enforce the letter of the law as to the out-of-state permit, but I don't like relying upon the common sense of others to avoid a criminal charge.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Others will most likely know the right answer but since you are so close with getting Indiana's license, I would not chance anything. The process for the Lifetime is very fast. Once you visit the police station, it may take a week, not much more. Rumor has it they are doing away with the Lifetime so get it now if you want that.

FIFY

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    The legal test would be if you dislike the state of Kentucky and the New England Patriots, you are officially a resident.
    wait a minute !!! while i have no particular love for KY , i have lived in indiana for all of my 51 years and absolutely LOVE the ne patriots just because all the psychotic colts fans hate them so !!!

Top Bottom