• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The difference between premium SD loads is so small it's almost not worth discussing.

The best SD load the load you are using for training to become proficient and accurate.

(two things I'm not, fwiw)

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    There is a lot of information there to digest. I thought it was interesting what I felt like were drastically different results within a common caliber. Thanks for posting.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    The guys who produce that information also make some well made, informative YouTube videos, a lot of them having to do with ammo choice

[video=youtube;gPXDwi7O0jg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPXDwi7O0jg[/video]

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    The difference between premium SD loads is so small it's almost not worth discussing.

The best SD load the load you are using for training to become proficient and accurate.

(two things I'm not, fwiw)

Yeah I agree for the most part. Still interesting to see some of premium stuff not expand and over penetrate. Wish I could afford to shoot thousands of rounds of good SD ammo!

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    The .380 section really opened my eyes. It seems like the rounds that expand really under penetrate. I really have been considering moving my LCP out of my carry rotation and this kind of makes me want to do it even more.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I'm a bit of a nerd, and I love all the data in that article. I read this a few years ago and concluded that for me I'd just standardize all my SD ammo with 9mm Federal HST 124gr (std pressure). It penetrates, it expands, it's extremely consistent, and it's not terribly expensive ($0.50/rd).

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    .380 IMO is marginal and really no reason to carry one unless a BUG again IMO I would trust a small .38 snubnose far more.
    So that being said we have a expert in defensive ammo here on INGO that has far more experience than me that I defer to for advice.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm a bit of a nerd, and I love all the data in that article. I read this a few years ago and concluded that for me I'd just standardize all my SD ammo with 9mm Federal HST 124gr (std pressure). It penetrates, it expands, it's extremely consistent, and it's not terribly expensive ($0.50/rd).

This is my carry load for my Glock 17. The data I was researching at the time was saying to get the 147 gr, but I ordered wrong, and got a case of the 124 delivered when I first switched over, so I just stuck with it.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I usually "run" with Hornady Critical Duty or Critical Defense in .45 ACP. I have been told by a well respected gunsmith, at least with regard to the smaller .45 ACP pistols to just use hardball and aim for the head.

I would guess that all depends on one's perspective.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    After looking through that article (I pretty much only paid attention to the 9mm), I'm just impressed at the consistency of the PNW Arms 115gr Tac Ops which I've never heard of before. That being said, Federal 147gr HST seemed to perform adequately so I've got not reason to stray from what I know and have practiced with. A lot of good information though!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    While gel tests are a good comparison they are not the Gospel. People spend way too much time on it and get wrapped around the axel on it.

Several loads that did well in Gel testing had horrible results in street shootings with LE and several that didn't do well in Gel excelled in LE steet shootings. Even the bad rap Winchester 115 great Silvertip got for the one failure when I dozens of other Shooting gs it was very good.

Pick a Quality round that is of traditional weight and not any novelty item do your part and you will probably live through the night

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My regular SD ammo ha been Speer GD 124+p, but since they no longer allow it to be sold without a badge in 50 rd boxes, I’ll go back to Critical Duty 135+p in the 25 rd boxes when I run through the rest of my GD. I think I still have 500 9BPLE stashed away somewhere as well?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    NO such thing as over-penetration. Under-expansion, yes. But not over-penetration.

Exactly...as a former volunteer EMT of 24 years...I have never even heard of an actual 'going through one person and into another' with regards to a direct center-mass hit with a standard home/personal defense handgun caliber round...with the exception of a non-lethal strike in and through an arm or upper shoulder type injury.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    While gel tests are a good comparison they are not the Gospel. People spend way too much time on it and get wrapped around the axel on it.

Several loads that did well in Gel testing had horrible results in street shootings with LE and several that didn't do well in Gel excelled in LE steet shootings. Even the bad rap Winchester 115 great Silvertip got for the one failure when I dozens of other Shooting gs it was very good.

Pick a Quality round that is of traditional weight and not any novelty item do your part and you will probably live through the night

GEL tests, while they provide an 'example' of what may happen with the P-D round, they are not full-proof when it comes to encountering actual human tissue...along with anything that the P-D round may come into contact with as it travels through from start to finish.

In my 3" SP101 .357 magnum...I simply carry 180 grain cast bullets from Buffalo Bore...they work well enough for hiking...why waste the extra $$ for something more expensive?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    .380 IMO is marginal and really no reason to carry one unless a BUG again IMO I would trust a small .38 snubnose far more.
    So that being said we have a expert in defensive ammo here on INGO that has far more experience than me that I defer to for advice.

I have an older Taurus 85 in .38 special...and I prefer a simple 158 grain standard pressure round in it...shoots straight...'nough said!

Top Bottom