• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    OK....I have searched INGO and Google, I have not found a definitive answer.

What does Indiana law say about carrying on a private collage campus? Is the law silent and all decisions are left to the property owner?

I found something about private schools being prohibited, but as best as I can tell, that is for K-12 private schools. Is that correct?

I have confirmed there is no daycare or K-12 activity at this location.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Nothing. It's a dress code decision for the school.

No reason for the state to have input any more than they should have input on the dress code decisions of a restaurant or gun shop.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Just like a business, the college can have a no guns policy. They can ask you to leave (or lock it your car perhaps) and you'd be trespassing if you don't. A college could perhaps have their own code of conduct that could enforce penalties for infractions of its rules (assuming you are a student or employed there) but you wouldn't be breaking a law.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I suspected as much, but with the "private school" listed in Indiana code, I wanted to make doubly sure if that included colleges or just K-12.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Colleges/Universities are not "schools" by IC. Therefor, the laws governing handguns at schools are simply not relevant.

Privates colleges can have whatever policy they want. Just like any other business.

Do be careful of parts of property on a college "campus" that may actually be schools per IC. Things like daycare and Head Start programs.

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    most college's/university's are on private property , like say your home . if they want to restrict firearms it is well within there perimeters . same as you requesting someone not to carry on your property .

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Remember that consequences for regular folks would be asked to leave or trespass.

Consequences for an employee or student could be firing or expulsion. Read the handbook.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Remember that consequences for regular folks would be asked to leave or trespass.

Consequences for an employee or student could be firing or expulsion. Read the handbook.

In the recent past, I think there was proposed legislation against this kind of thing for public universities / colleges (Government money / quasi-governmental agencies setting rules/laws / preemption / etc). I think it died in committee. (Of course it did - too many Republicans in the State government)

jbusyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    South of Indy
    Also if the college has a VA hospital or clinic on campus, it is against federal law to carry inside those buildings or their parking lots.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    most college's/university's are on private property , like say your home . if they want to restrict firearms it is well within there perimeters . same as you requesting someone not to carry on your property .

Yes. But it is NOT illegal.
    If you ask me to leave, and I don't, then it becomes trespass.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I asked because our church is renting space from Indiana Wesleyan in Fort Wayne for our services. As far as I know, they are a private college. So as long as we have permission from the board of the college, I think those of our congregation who carry are good to go.

I just wanted to make sure that the federal law I found about "private schools" being off limits were only for K-12 private schools. At least, that his how I understand it. And I have not found any additional laws prohibiting us outside of the private property issues already address above.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I asked because our church is renting space from Indiana Wesleyan in Fort Wayne for our services. As far as I know, they are a private college. So as long as we have permission from the board of the college, I think those of our congregation who carry are good to go.

I just wanted to make sure that the federal law I found about "private schools" being off limits were only for K-12 private schools. At least, that his how I understand it. And I have not found any additional laws prohibiting us outside of the private property issues already address above.

I would be willing to bet if someone mentions firearms to the university's board, the board will not approve. Sometimes saying nothing and carrying concealed is the better option.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Private, public, doesn't matter.

Personally, I wouldn't ask (why would you? what if they say "no"?), and just CC.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    We asked because we have an armed and trained security team. We needed to know if other measures had to be taken for proper planning.

As I understand it...we asked...and they approved. Now there should be no issues.....currently or in the future.

Top Bottom