• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    I apologize in advance if there is already a thread on this. I used the search and couldn't find one that was relatively new.

One of these days, it will warm up in Indiana, or that's what I keep hearing. I just want some opinions on what you all use for summer carry. During the winter, I mainly carry an XD Mod.2 Subcompact. However, I have tried carrying it in the summer and just cant find a way to carry without printing too much with just a t-shirt on. Plus, I am going for a way lighter load in the summer.

For the past couple of years I have carried an LCP in the pocket, but I am trying to get away from .380. I feel better with at least 9mm.

So the question is, what do you carry in the summer and how do you carry it?

Thanks everyone!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I you can’t carry a subcompact under a t-shirt, you’re doing it wrong? I wear shorts and T-shirt 7-8 months out of the year, I carry a G19w/RMR, two spare magazines, 2-3 knives, and a blowout kit, and have no trouble concealing all of it?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This gets brought up from time to time. Many do not vary their carry setup much, if at all, for carry during the warmer months. What you wear can limit your options somewhat, and a good rig makes it easier to wear what you want. A crappy rig won't conceal very well no matter what.

I rarely just wear a t-shirt, and when I do it's large enough to drape a bit.

Some insist on wearing what they want to wear and making their carry fit with that. Some are more welling to alter what they wear to carry more.

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    I you can’t carry a subcompact under a t-shirt, you’re doing it wrong? I wear shorts and T-shirt 7-8 months out of the year, I carry a G19w/RMR, two spare magazines, 2-3 knives, and a blowout kit, and have no trouble concealing all of it?

I guess it's not really a concealment problem, more of a "It's 90 degrees and I dont want all of this heavy stuff on me because I'm already sweating" problem. Why do you carry multiple knives? And why so many mags? Just curious for your reasoning.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just avoid the photographer's vest - nothing screams CC more than the lightweight khaki vest with 20 pockets.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm another that doesn't change. I always carry OWB. If it is covered by a coat, I guess I am CCing. the rest of the time I am OCing. Don't care one way or the other.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I guess it's not really a concealment problem, more of a "It's 90 degrees and I dont want all of this heavy stuff on me because I'm already sweating" problem. Why do you carry multiple knives? And why so many mags? Just curious for your reasoning.
    1 knife is a utility folder to cut stuff, one defensive fixed blade to cut people, and a defensive folder to again cut people. Extra magazines because any one in need of shooting may need extra shooting, or in the event of a malfunction.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Sounds like you just need a flashlight. Maybe not in the summer.

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    1 knife is a utility folder to cut stuff, one defensive fixed blade to cut people, and a defensive folder to again cut people. Extra magazines because any one in need of shooting may need extra shooting.

45+ Rounds of 9mm and 2 defensive knives.. Guess you aren't going down without a fight lol. I just dont like that much stuff weighing my shorts down. I keep my extra mags in the truck. I always think of a handgun as a tool to get back to safety as quick as possible, not really go to war with. The rifle in the truck is what I am trying to get to.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    45+ Rounds of 9mm and 2 defensive knives.. Guess you aren't going down without a fight lol. I just dont like that much stuff weighing my shorts down. I keep my extra mags in the truck. I always think of a handgun as a tool to get back to safety as quick as possible, not really go to war with. The rifle in the truck is what I am trying to get to.
    On the contrary, none of it weighs me down, as I carry with a proper gun belt, it’s actually quite comfortable.

Glockenheimer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2019
    Dyer
    Most of the time in summer I wear denim shorts and sleeveless tshirt.....so I pocket carry a lcp 2 in a desantis superfly. Also have a descent sized folding knife and a flashlight.....I could probably get away with carrying my shield owb in a tagua holster. I like the pocket holster because I forget that it's there.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Cargos and Tees, and/or the open front summer button down shirts. Usually IWB and gun handle is tight against the tucked in tee shirt. If really hot, sometimes a "wife beater" tee under a pocket tee that covers EDC.
    I prefer my G19, but sometimes is a pocket carry 442 Snub. I bought a Shield 40 cal., so will try that vs the Glock. Don't really like Hawaiian prints, so I catch a couple of Western or Farm style plaids when it goes open, button down shirt. Darker color seems not to show a bulge for gun carry. Vests are too hot, hoodies too unless cool at night. I like Major Ball Club hats too! Nothing gun related. Old school trained and no FOP belt buckles to give my CCW status away. Gray man, or Blue man or whatever. Good luck!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Usually a Glock-27 loaded with .40 Winchester PDX- 1.

If needed a Glock-22, or G-22 spare mag at least loaded with same ammo.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Winter or summer its usually a Sig 226 or 1911 OWB or a G43 IWB . The 43 is nice, most the time I don't even use a belt with it. All my holsters are Galco along with the belt.

Top Bottom