• ...and so much more!
  • deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Lets start by saying I'm right handed to the hilt. I always practice shooting left hand just in case. Have become fairly proficient at it too. Well, time and age has caught up with me and am now awaiting surgery of the ACL in my right shoulder. I have very little range of motion in that arm now. This is where the flaw in my plan rears its head-never thought of what happens if I need to draw left handed! Nope, no left handed holster. Im a guessing my right arm will be down for a couple of months and Im left to figure out a way to carry. This is just an observation post on my lack of preparedness that I thought I would share.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Thank you for reminding me.
    I have had a few left handed holsters on my list. Some sites have left hand deals but I only see them after all my bills are paid and I'm broke. Just hasn't worked out yet. I try to be prepared for whatever.

I am also right handed and when I was younger I had some hand surgeries on my right hand after an injury. They were very aggressive and it took a long time to recover. Before that everything was taken for granted. From brushing teeth to peeing in the toilet. It was tough but I was so proficient left handed that after a while you couldn't tell I was right handed at all. I didn't have much choice anyway.

When I finally could use my right hand again, the most impressive task was I was able to eat with both hands simultaneously. Problem was trying to chew fast enough to keep up with my scooping. It was fun to do. Unfortunately some people in fancy restaurants just don't appreciate good talent when they see it. :):

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I had a couple friends recommend a "Remora" holster so ordered one for a G-26. Don't use it a lot because I have several other IWB holsters I also like but it does a good job staying put. I even wore it while crawling under my truck changing oil just to see if it stayed in place. Not a lot of money and quick to get if you are interested. Jim.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    From a dexterity point, buying a crossdraw holster might be more comfortable as that might be where you are used to your gun being and access might be better also.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    You might consider "cavalry" style draw, wear a right-handed crossdraw holster on your left hip, gun butt forward, making a back-handed draw with your left hand. When you recover you can then use the rig in the traditional manner.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Actually cross draw is my favorite style and I have been looking for an excuse to go back that way. Thanks for the suggestion!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Revolvers!

Kidding, but not really.

I rolled a Bronco a few years ago and was in similar straits.

Besides the unsettling feeling of trying to pee using lefty and having to remind yourself that was NOT someone else's hand, how to carry was a real concern.

Carrying a snubby did help, but holsters were a real concern.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Revolvers!

Kidding, but not really.

I rolled a Bronco a few years ago and was in similar straits.

Besides the unsettling feeling of trying to pee using lefty and having to remind yourself that was NOT someone else's hand, how to carry was a real concern.

Carrying a snubby did help, but holsters were a real concern.

You said "Pee" and "Snubby" in the same post. :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm late to this one (typing left handed only.) I'm fortunate to have an easy LH solution. I train with a G43 to use as a BUG, in a LH holster. I also compete in steel matches with the gun to stay familiar with drawing and holstering it.

Especially if you have a common gun, I'd put an add in the WTB for a leftie holster.

Again for that very common gun, The Raven Vangards are switchable. Some of the appendix style holsters could be converted to the other side and would possibly work, although the sweat guard would be on the wrong side. They might also work as an OWB as they are set up. I'm looking at at Bravo Company holster that would work for.

If you don't already, this would be a good time to have a blue gun. A quick and easy way to establish your "wrong hand" grip and draw.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm late to this one (typing left handed only.) I'm fortunate to have an easy LH solution. I train with a G43 to use as a BUG, in a LH holster. I also compete in steel matches with the gun to stay familiar with drawing and holstering it.

Especially if you have a common gun, I'd put an add in the WTB for a leftie holster.

Again for that very common gun, The Raven Vangards are switchable. Some of the appendix style holsters could be converted to the other side and would possibly work, although the sweat guard would be on the wrong side. They might also work as an OWB as they are set up. I'm looking at at Bravo Company holster that would work for.

If you don't already, this would be a good time to have a blue gun. A quick and easy way to establish your "wrong hand" grip and draw.

Official Rhino :yesway:

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have seen some people that just stuff one behind the belt buckle, turn it right or left and you have available. Some even carry this way while cocked, or so I have heard.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Well, update on this is frozen shoulder on top of the rest. Looks like a year or so to be back to normal. The left handed shooting has become the norm now. Holsters bought and in service. Really not as bad a transition as I thought. Am I as good as I was right handed? Not quite but close. The only drawback I'm having is shooting the M1A, just can't get it for some reason. Not that big of deal, probably put it up for trade soon.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glad to hear you're on the mend, but sorry about the long road ahead.

As far as left hand options, especially in the short term, like if you need to go L because your R hand got injured in the fight (for others since you've solved your problem).

Appendix carry even on your right side should still be reachable if you are at normal bodyweight. This is one reason I stress fitness as a survival/fighting mindset issue. I've seen a LOT of guys who can't reach across the own bodies, or behind their backs because their arms are too uhem, "short". At the 5 oclock carry position you should be able to reach behind you and grip the pistol with your left hand. Its not a full firing grip but it clears kydex. Not perfect.

Top Bottom