• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RBeau1954

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I know, only 2nd post so still a plinkster. I have read 100's of articles, watched 100's of videos and reads lots of reviews on the topic of using a 22lr for self defense. There was a thread on here about 6 years ago and I read that one as well so I am going to give my take on the subject. I currently own a Springfield 40 xd, an M & P shield in 9mm and an SR 22 with the 4.5 in barrel. I have shot every one of my guns, probably 500 our of each of the 9mm and 40 and well over a 1000 rounds from my SR22. My 40 is a little too snappy for me and I like the 9mm but I love the SR22 the most. With all the rounds fired in 22 I have had only 2 ftf, one cci mini mag and one winchester bulk pack. I have read all the studies on shootings from the major guys doing studies on decades of shooting. One study showed the 22 averaging a stop 34% of the time and fail to stop 31% of the time, all the other calibers shot from handguns showed different results, some better then the 22 and some worse. Right now I can rapidly shoot 10 shots from my 22 at 20 ft and it a 5 inch group everytime. not excellent but getting better. Can't do that with either of my other guns and not a fast because of re acquiring the target after the recoil. I have seen all the test using the gel test and different ammo's from each of the guns. Most important that I have learned is shot placement, shot placement and shot placement is very important. At this time in my development I am more comfortable that I can put more bullets on target with my 22 then either of my other guns. My go to ammo will be the cci solid 40 gr hyper velocity. As I continue to shoot all my guns I may get better but for now I have more confidence in my SR22. One last issue I am concerned with is being in a shooting with one of the larger guns, how many of you have been in an actual shooting, without ear protection and fired off 4,5 or 6 rounds and what happen to your hearing. My dad was a detective for the LAPD and carried a 38 revolver as his service piece. He had a bad habit of setting his gun on a blanket in the back seat on his way to work. One day he picked up me and my friend walking to school and gave us a ride to school. shortly after pick us up there was a loud explosion in the car. My friend saw the gun in the back seat and picked it up thinking it was a toy gun and fired it. it went straight through the seat and out the windshield. Missed me by a couple inches, I was sitting in the front seat. My point is I lost the hearing in one of my ears for 2 days with a horrible ringing. In a shooting situation with a 9mm. a 40 or a 45, what is that going to sound like. I may upgrade as I gain more confidence in my shooting and train more with the 9mm but not sure I will ever get used to the 40. Anyone else around here us a 22lr for there EDC?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the 40 is too much for you, I suggest doing some grip exercises.

Much the same thoughts.

I lost an Uncle years ago to a .22Lr and he was a big man. But the shot placement is what did him in.
    I would not put much faith in that round past enjoyment or rabbit/squirrel hunting. Way way way too many variables.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know, only 2nd post so still a plinkster. I have read 100's of articles, watched 100's of videos and reads lots of reviews on the topic of using a 22lr for self defense. There was a thread on here about 6 years ago and I read that one as well so I am going to give my take on the subject. I currently own a Springfield 40 xd, an M & P shield in 9mm and an SR 22 with the 4.5 in barrel. I have shot every one of my guns, probably 500 our of each of the 9mm and 40 and well over a 1000 rounds from my SR22. My 40 is a little too snappy for me and I like the 9mm but I love the SR22 the most. With all the rounds fired in 22 I have had only 2 ftf, one cci mini mag and one winchester bulk pack. I have read all the studies on shootings from the major guys doing studies on decades of shooting. One study showed the 22 averaging a stop 34% of the time and fail to stop 31% of the time, all the other calibers shot from handguns showed different results, some better then the 22 and some worse. Right now I can rapidly shoot 10 shots from my 22 at 20 ft and it a 5 inch group everytime. not excellent but getting better. Can't do that with either of my other guns and not a fast because of re acquiring the target after the recoil. I have seen all the test using the gel test and different ammo's from each of the guns. Most important that I have learned is shot placement, shot placement and shot placement is very important. At this time in my development I am more comfortable that I can put more bullets on target with my 22 then either of my other guns. My go to ammo will be the cci solid 40 gr hyper velocity. As I continue to shoot all my guns I may get better but for now I have more confidence in my SR22. One last issue I am concerned with is being in a shooting with one of the larger guns, how many of you have been in an actual shooting, without ear protection and fired off 4,5 or 6 rounds and what happen to your hearing. My dad was a detective for the LAPD and carried a 38 revolver as his service piece. He had a bad habit of setting his gun on a blanket in the back seat on his way to work. One day he picked up me and my friend walking to school and gave us a ride to school. shortly after pick us up there was a loud explosion in the car. My friend saw the gun in the back seat and picked it up thinking it was a toy gun and fired it. it went straight through the seat and out the windshield. Missed me by a couple inches, I was sitting in the front seat. My point is I lost the hearing in one of my ears for 2 days with a horrible ringing. In a shooting situation with a 9mm. a 40 or a 45, what is that going to sound like. I may upgrade as I gain more confidence in my shooting and train more with the 9mm but not sure I will ever get used to the 40. Anyone else around here us a 22lr for there EDC?

Something to consider in future posts......."Paragraphs"

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My feeling is that there are some people who can't handle recoil at all due to arthritis, injury or other issues and for them, a .22 is better than nothing. I would think if possible 22 magnum should be used instead of 22lr, but again that boils down to what someone can handle. While I agree that there are better options if you can use them, if you can't use them you use the best thing you can and train so that you have shot placement that will do the trick. Just my :twocents:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wouldn't discount the .22LR for defense if the options are 22LR or no firearm. The fact is, a typical BG can't tell the difference between a 9mm and a .22LR by looking in the heat of the moment. ANY firearm has tremendous discouragement/deterrent value, and this is not an insignificant thing.

Then there's the fact that getting shot by anything hurts. A lot.

So the only thing a .22LR gives up compared to something more powerful is the physical incapacitation aspect. It keeps all the deterrent and pyschological stopping abilities.

And let's be real-- there are no one-shot stops with any handgun if placement isn't good. And-- conversely-- if placement is excellent, then even a .22LR is more than adequate.

To me, the only LEGIT criticism of a .22LR for personal defense is the fact that it's rimfire and perhaps reliability isn't the best. Not just the ignition, but the feeding of a rimmed case and all that. And several .22LR revolvers have been known to have ignition issues from time to time.

Still, a reputable .22LR carry revolver with quality ammo could certainly be a viable defense option, one I would strongly consider for anyone who is looking for the smallest, least recoiling etc kind of option.

But then you have to ask-- why not step to a .32? Something like a 327 fed revolver gives you much more effectiveness and reliability while still keeping recoil tolerable.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I hear what you are saying, and well something is better than nothing.
    It sounds like you are fairly new to shooting, I may be wrong, but that's what it sounds like. I would say keep practicing with the 9mm, maybe take a class. 9mm in the right handgun is a pretty nice shooter.

I don't doubt you can put your shots in a nice group with the .22, and I'm not volunteering to stand in front of a .22, but rimfire ammo just isn't as reliable and obviously not the best choice for self defense.

Best of luck moving forward, keep shooting, and in the meantime yes the .22 is better than nothing, but I would urge you to seriously try to get comfortable with the 9mm in the future. :ingo:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I’d rather be deaf than dead because I carried an inferior 22lr pistol when I should have been carrying a larger caliber pistol.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My previous post was in general. If you can't use anything more than .22, it's better than nothing. That said, if you can use a better caliber, by all means do so. I completely agree with lovemachine on the deaf part. While .22 is better than nothing, 9mm is better than .22 by quite a bit.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Shot placement is key, but if you are facing an adversary who is "medically enhanced" or wearing heavy winter clothing, etc I'd rather have something with some punch, that will produce some trauma, blood loss, etc and will be more likely to shut down the threat. The end goal is stopping the threat as quickly as possible.

And yes... paragraphs.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I will only say that, never, never will I trust my life to a rimfire cartridge. That is unless, I happen to be plinking with one and I'm attacked.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I skimmed the original post. While I'm sure I can't compete with hundreds of videos and reviews, I've seen hundreds of people shot. The .22 sucks. Even perfect "shot placement" doesn't do you any good if it can't break through the bone to get to vital organs. I've seen .22 stopped by ribs, the skull, and teeth. I had a chat with a young man who'd been shot in the face multiple times with a .22 through a car window. The casings were just outside his car door. The ambulance wasn't there yet and he was talking and walking around just fine. I've talked to a lot of people after they've been shot or just shot someone, and been in the situation myself. Hearing loss concerns are greatly overblown.

.380 is the smallest common cartridge that routinely breaks the human femur, meaning it will break any bone in the body. I would not recommend anything smaller than .38/.380. A .22 *can* be effective, but so can a starter pistol with no projectile at all. A common duty cartridge will be quite handy in situations that aren't solvable with a starter pistol, though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I skimmed the original post. While I'm sure I can't compete with hundreds of videos and reviews, I've seen hundreds of people shot. The .22 sucks. Even perfect "shot placement" doesn't do you any good if it can't break through the bone to get to vital organs. I've seen .22 stopped by ribs, the skull, and teeth. I had a chat with a young man who'd been shot in the face multiple times with a .22 through a car window. The casings were just outside his car door. The ambulance wasn't there yet and he was talking and walking around just fine. I've talked to a lot of people after they've been shot or just shot someone, and been in the situation myself. Hearing loss concerns are greatly overblown.

.380 is the smallest common cartridge that routinely breaks the human femur, meaning it will break any bone in the body. I would not recommend anything smaller than .38/.380. A .22 *can* be effective, but so can a starter pistol with no projectile at all. A common duty cartridge will be quite handy in situations that aren't solvable with a starter pistol, though.

I just thought of this . . . if the alternative is .25ACP, .22LR probably wins!

Top Bottom