• ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So much fail.

"If"...big IF... if the teachers were simply shot with air soft pellets to see that it hurts to get shot, that was dumb on the sheriff's part. Getting air-soft-shot because you didn't take cover, you didn't run out of the kill zone, whatever, that's a training event. It stings, you remember, you try harder next time.

Putting it into LAW that schools can't train their staff in active shooter drills using airsoft or any other kind of "projectile" is just... epically dumb.

<insert banging head emoticon here>

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And I'm sure if, God forbid, an actual shooting took place, they'd wonder why they weren't trained properly for that situation. Pretty sure the ones complaining are anti-gun in the first place.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Fail on both parts, the trainers for not divulging they may be shot, and the teachers for being snowflakes. The scenario described was a teachable moment, and could have worked out better if everyone involved knew there would be some discomfort at some point or points throughout the training. A law prohibiting this type of training Is as stupid as cowering in fear waiting to die.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not to be Debbie Downer, but is it really necessary to use any type of ammunition during the training?

I mean, if the teachers signed up for some type of simulated scenario and they knew in advance they would be shot with air soft pellets then they shouldn't complain. But if the trainers just shot them with no warning or without their consent, then I could see that being a problem.

My mom taught elementary school until she was 60. I doubt she would have enjoyed being shot with air soft pellets or any type of projectile unnecessarily.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not to be Debbie Downer, but is it really necessary to use any type of ammunition during the training?

I mean, if the teachers signed up for some type of simulated scenario and they knew in advance they would be shot with air soft pellets then they shouldn't complain. But if the trainers just shot them with no warning or without their consent, then I could see that being a problem.

My mom taught elementary school until she was 60. I doubt she would have enjoyed being shot with air soft pellets or any type of projectile unnecessarily.

So, school shooters typically give warning that they're about to shoot people with real bullets? The ones complaining should have a little more insight into concealment, if not cover (since none of the airsoft pellets would have penetrated anything). I think it was a good exercise. I wish our work did them like this.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I went through this type of training. Anyone could opt out and opt for the foam practice equipment (as pictured in the cover photo). Why else would everyone be given eye protection? Everything was explained prior to the training.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    We did this at a local elementary school with volunteers from a local high school to play victims. They did an excellent job, and many of them did get shot. We had our fire department training with us to do casualty care and extraction.

No teachers participated.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    With each story like this the George Bernard Shaw line comes to mind. "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." It's obviously not universal but is becoming more prevalent.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Yes, it teaches you that just because you’re shot, you’re not necessarily out of the fight. Also, pain consequence (not the term usually used, but I can’t remember it) allows a tactile form of learn from your mistakes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They played the same interview with one of the teachers that I saw last night (WTHR), but this morning, they "disguised" the teacher's voice and didn't show them. It's like they're in some kind of witness protection program or something. Maybe they're (rightfully) just not wanting to let people know what a whiny little ***** they are.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    What moron(s) thought this was a good idea?

I'll admit that I don't know all the details due to the differing accounts of what happened, but it seems like there are too many things that can go wrong in this scenario, and the "trainers" should have known better.

Can't recall the details, but didn't a fitness center (Brownsburg YMCA maybe? - don't quote me on that) do something similar a few years ago where the "shooter" was armed with a fake gun? I can only imagine an armed citizen stumbling onto that situation, fail to realize it was a drill, and taking action. In the school situation, what happens if an armed parent (illegal, of course, so couldn't happen) showed up without knowing what was going on and took action?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Our training did not contain an execution style scenario. That seems unnecessary.
    Worst thing I got during the training was a couple rug burns and some sore muscles. As I was the only male in the group, I was often the bad guy in the scenario to prove that women can fight back successfully. Swarming techniques and pinning the bad guy to the floor in numbers were used.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What snowflake HAD to go to the media about this? Good grief. Right or wrong, deal with it in house. I've been the bad guy many times during our Active Killer classes, structure clearing classes, and community engagement demonstrations and have been shot point blank with non-marking Sim rounds. The non-markers are much harder than the traditional marking rounds, breaks skin. All in the name of quality training. But an Airsoft pellet? Good grief. Seems like the teacher's complaint is growing feet. These are the same teachers we want to arm?

Top Bottom