Trustworthy, safe place to temporarily store firearm while on the road?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you are making a cross country trip and plan to stay overnight in a state with hostile gun laws, is there any sort of business where you can safely store a firearm for a few days before you cross the state line? I would think there's some sort of place that would have a locker or something which would let you lock something up for a few days. Has anyone done anything like that before? What's the safest way to do it so that you don't come back and find your belongings missing?

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN
    I have one of them portable car safes, I would think if you put the gun in that and the ammo separate, you'd be good. I know in IL you can have a loaded gun as long as it STAYS in your car, if you have a In permit, and they have to be one of the worst states.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you are making a cross country trip and plan to stay overnight in a state with hostile gun laws, is there any sort of business where you can safely store a firearm for a few days before you cross the state line? I would think there's some sort of place that would have a locker or something which would let you lock something up for a few days. Has anyone done anything like that before? What's the safest way to do it so that you don't come back and find your belongings missing?

Dont take it with you, or stay in the friendly state and keep it with you.

For instance assuming I was heading from Eastern Indiana to St Louis, and for the sake of argument lets pretend IL is more anti than it is and self storing my gun during a stop (also assuming locked in the trunk in transit is OK) is problematic. My solution: Stay in Terre Haute and keep my gun, then the next am top off the tank and drive straight through IL legally with no stops.

Or leave the gun at home and bring to bear every last defensive option available. (edged weapons, sprays, etc)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ha we drove on vacation one year Indy to Northern Michigan and back one summer not too long ago, and at the first rest stop inside Wisconsin I saw guys opening their vehicle trunks, taking out their pistols, and attaching them to their bodies.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    May hotels have safes in the room that you program the combo to, many upper end hotels will store your valuables, I don't know what their firearms policy would be.
    When I've traveled through IL, MN, NE, NV, or NM I have carried at all times with the exception flying into Vegas, waited til AZ to get it out of luggage, and traveling through some of the Tribal lands, I studied long and hard on their laws/procedures because they play hardball. Still had it in the car, just not on me. I have no plans to go east but I would treat some of those states like tribal lands. To me, concealed means concealed but also understand conditions and activities can change this.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Last year my wife and I went to Niagara Falls. I made arrangements at a mom and pops hotel to store my gun vault. They knew what was in it and they agreed to store it until we returned to the hotel. We stayed one night on the way to and one night on the way back. I did the something similar a few months ago while traveling to Canada. I left my vault with a friend in Port Huron.

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN
    I don't recommend the in room hotel safes. I've heard a few stories of peoples stuff missing and the last one was recent and in Vegas ! I find it hard to believe the hotel couldn't find out who entered that room and got in the safe with key cards and cameras in this era, but my neighbor says it happened and I don't think he'd lie.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have one of them portable car safes, I would think if you put the gun in that and the ammo separate, you'd be good. I know in IL you can have a loaded gun as long as it STAYS in your car, if you have a In permit, and they have to be one of the worst states.

I take it you've never been to New York or New Jersey.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yep. The state you get arrested in if your connecting flight is missed and they have to give you back your checked bag with a handgun inside. There are several reports of people passing through being arrested when they re-check their luggage for the new flight and follow TSA rules to declare the weapon.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Safe deposit box?

I believe nearly all the agreements you sign when renting prohibit firearms (as well as cash and gold). Plus you are subject to banker's hours.

Check states with onerous magazine size restrictions as well as banned types of ammo that could be a problem even if you complied with the interstate transportation laws.

If it were me I would think about looking at a gun dealer near the border. Obviously they are firearms friendly. Drop it off for "service" to be picked up in a few days later after you exit the evil state. Offer a fee or simply buy some ammo/accessories that allows the owner to make some profit. Get a really well written receipt with your serial number on it.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I believe nearly all the agreements you sign when renting prohibit firearms (as well as cash and gold). Plus you are subject to banker's hours.

Check states with onerous magazine size restrictions as well as banned types of ammo that could be a problem even if you complied with the interstate transportation laws.

If it were me I would think about looking at a gun dealer near the border. Obviously they are firearms friendly. Drop it off for "service" to be picked up in a few days later after you exit the evil state. Offer a fee or simply buy some ammo/accessories that allows the owner to make some profit. Get a really well written receipt with your serial number on it.

Great idea! A gunsmith would work as well.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis

When I wrote this question, I had in mind a state like that. The law is very ambiguous regarding whether it's a jailable offense to have possession of an unloaded, locked firearm. FOPA might arguably offer some protection, but it's not clear how much it would help you if your destination is within one of those hostile states.

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN

I have, many times, but not driving and only took a carry on so no gun to worry about, OP did not mention what states he was going through. Probably the only states worse Than IL. Funny thing that has nothing to do with guns but the 1st time I went I flew into New York, we were staying 7 miles away in NJ, and the cab fare each way was $100.00, we learned our lesson and all trips after that we flew into Jersey and with renting a car for 3 days and gas it was cheaper than the $200.00 cab fare LOL. Personally if I had to worry about this, I wouldn't take the gun, if I drive anywhere it's south and the states I've gun thru accept the IN license.

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN
    Google is your friend.
    All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

• Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
    • The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.
    • [h=4]All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:[/h][FONT=&quot]The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey's firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.[/FONT]
      1. New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.
      2. This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:
        1. The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;
        2. The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;
        3. The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose
        4. The firearm is unloaded
        5. The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
        6. The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
        7. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;
        8. The person is not
          1. a convicted felon
          2. a fugitive from justice an addict or unlawful user of drugs, or
          3. an illegal alien
        9. The person has not
          1. been adjudicated to be a mental defective
          2. been committed to a mental institution
          3. been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, or
          4. renounced his United States Citizenship
      3. A person who is transporting a firearm though the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by person's possession 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, see Section II above, need not give notice.
      4. Procedures for Investigation of Conduct Involving the Possession or Transportation of Firearms
        1. An officer who reasonably suspects that a person is transporting a firearm in violation of New Jersey law should make reasonable inquiries in order to confirm or dispel that suspicion.
        2. In a case where circumstances reasonably indicate that the person's possession and transportation of the firearms my be permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, the officer should make reasonable inquiries in order to determine whether the person's possession is permitted by that federal law.
        3. If reasonable inquiries lead an officer to conclude that the person's possession is lawful under either New Jersey law or 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed.
        4. Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person's possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, then the officer should make an arrest.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Google is your friend.
    All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

• Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
    • The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.
    • All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:

[FONT=&amp]The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey's firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.[/FONT]
      1. New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.
      2. This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:
        1. The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;
        2. The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;
        3. The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose
        4. The firearm is unloaded
        5. The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
        6. The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
        7. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;
        8. The person is not
          1. a convicted felon
          2. a fugitive from justice an addict or unlawful user of drugs, or
          3. an illegal alien
        9. The person has not
          1. been adjudicated to be a mental defective
          2. been committed to a mental institution
          3. been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, or
          4. renounced his United States Citizenship
      3. A person who is transporting a firearm though the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by person's possession 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, see Section II above, need not give notice.
      4. Procedures for Investigation of Conduct Involving the Possession or Transportation of Firearms
        1. An officer who reasonably suspects that a person is transporting a firearm in violation of New Jersey law should make reasonable inquiries in order to confirm or dispel that suspicion.
        2. In a case where circumstances reasonably indicate that the person's possession and transportation of the firearms my be permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, the officer should make reasonable inquiries in order to determine whether the person's possession is permitted by that federal law.
        3. If reasonable inquiries lead an officer to conclude that the person's possession is lawful under either New Jersey law or 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed.
        4. Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person's possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, then the officer should make an arrest.

Reading this, I would think you would be ok keeping it locked up, unloaded, in the trunk. Chances are even if pulled over for speeding or some other traffic violation they won't search so hard as to find it anyway. New York state is quite a bit more unclear.

I can't believe there's no such thing as a storage locker that could be rented at a Pennsylvania truck stop or hotel or something for a temporary period of time.

Top Bottom