• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    First Merchants bank is primarily located in small towns in central Indiana (although they have expanded into Indianapolis also in the last few years)

We were a customer because we used a small bank in Crawfordsville when we purchased our home in 1998. That bank was bought by a Lafayette bank and eventually by First Merchants. We kept a personal checking and savings account there. Last year, I used the Carmel branch for a withdrawal and noticed a "no firearms" sign on the door. I conducted my transaction and asked if a manager was available. The manager was not available, but he did call my back later that day.

I expressed my surprise and concern at the sign. The manager said that a district security supervisor had directed the "no firearms" signs at all First Merchants banks months earlier. I explained that being the case, that we would at some future point (when convenient) be moving our funds.

I soon after saw the same sign at the Crawfordsville branch. For some reason, the Michigan Rd branch never has put up a visible "no firearms" sign. I don't know if they have a sympathetic manager or just never got their sign up. In any case, we finally got around to opening a new account elsewhere today and we closed our First Merchants checking and savings.

Unfortunately, it was not a manager that helped me but the person who did close the account did ask my reasoning. I hope it gets back to management. I'm also considering sending back a copy of my final statement just to be sure they know why we left.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    First Merchants bank is primarily located in small towns in central Indiana (although they have expanded into Indianapolis also in the last few years)

We were a customer because we used a small bank in Crawfordsville when we purchased our home in 1998. That bank was bought by a Lafayette bank and eventually by First Merchants. We kept a personal checking and savings account there. Last year, I used the Carmel branch for a withdrawal and noticed a "no firearms" sign on the door. I conducted my transaction and asked if a manager was available. The manager was not available, but he did call my back later that day.

I expressed my surprise and concern at the sign. The manager said that a district security supervisor had directed the "no firearms" signs at all First Merchants banks months earlier. I explained that being the case, that we would at some future point (when convenient) be moving our funds.

I soon after saw the same sign at the Crawfordsville branch. For some reason, the Michigan Rd branch never has put up a visible "no firearms" sign. I don't know if they have a sympathetic manager or just never got their sign up. In any case, we finally got around to opening a new account elsewhere today and we closed our First Merchants checking and savings.

Unfortunately, it was not a manager that helped me but the person who did close the account did ask my reasoning. I hope it gets back to management. I'm also considering sending back a copy of my final statement just to be sure they know why we left.

Ran into this years ago. We still have our accounts, but don't use them anymore. Guess it's as good a time as any to close them.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...r-service-when-i-asked-about.html#post4282412

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Ran into this years ago. We still have our accounts, but don't use them anymore. Guess it's as good a time as any to close them.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...r-service-when-i-asked-about.html#post4282412

Hmm... I did a "first merchants" search before I posted and yet somehow missed your post.

I think I did go quite a while without noticing the signs because I was primarily using the Michigan Rd branch, and I really don't go into the bank often.

We also have accounts at Chase (for business) and IMCU (my personal funds) and neither of those banks have had any anti-gun signs in the branches I go to.

We did make a point of having the First Merchants account at a fairly high value right before we closed it, just hoping that would get a little bit of attention. It seems particularly bizarre to me that a bank so grounded in small towns would take this step.

Anyway, whether it does any good or not I voted with my wallet today. I think the tiny bank in New Ross might appreciate the deposit. They were certainly very helpful and personal when we opened the account there recently.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I dumped First Merchants shortly after they purchased our local bank. Their first order of business was to put their own corporate people in the bank! Our county only has 6000 residents and it was nice to go to the bank and talk to someone you personally knew. Screw First Merchants!

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Do they frisk you upon entry?

For awhile, my bank had a "no hats, no hoods, no sunglasses, no guns" sign. They never questioned me regarding my "violations" of that policy (the ones they could see). It's gone now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I dumped First Merchants shortly after they purchased our local bank. Their first order of business was to put their own corporate people in the bank! Our county only has 6000 residents and it was nice to go to the bank and talk to someone you personally knew. Screw First Merchants!

This is something you will no longer see in any big bank operation. I never seem to see the same people when I go into our bank.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

:yesway:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I agree with the sentiment and have eliminated a couple of places that I used to deal with for the same reason but the fact of the matter is; they don't care. Unless you're a multi million $ account you won't be missed. Most people that we deal with on a daily basis that work for organizations like that are for the most part just like you and I, they're just there for the paycheck and have very little sway on the daily operations. I wish it weren't true but it is, corporate America is in charge in this country not "we the people".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree with the sentiment and have eliminated a couple of places that I used to deal with for the same reason but the fact of the matter is; they don't care. Unless you're a multi million $ account you won't be missed. Most people that we deal with on a daily basis that work for organizations like that are for the most part just like you and I, they're just there for the paycheck and have very little sway on the daily operations. I wish it weren't true but it is, corporate America is in charge in this country not "we the people".

You're probably right about the level of GiveADamn the corporate people have over a small customer leaving. It seems odd to me when tellers seem to take closing an account as a personal affront, though. I had to close an account after MainSource got bought by First Financial Bank and got interrogated by the teller when I did it. After I told her the reason why I was closing the account, she wanted to know why behind my why. I heard a rumor (for what it's worth) that several other customers closed their accounts there in the same time period, so maybe they actually were concerned about the trend. It certainly can't hurt to make sure a bank knows why you're leaving and maybe it might do some good if a few others do the same.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You're probably right about the level of GiveADamn the corporate people have over a small customer leaving. It seems odd to me when tellers seem to take closing an account as a personal affront, though. I had to close an account after MainSource got bought by First Financial Bank and got interrogated by the teller when I did it. After I told her the reason why I was closing the account, she wanted to know why behind my why. I heard a rumor (for what it's worth) that several other customers closed their accounts there in the same time period, so maybe they actually were concerned about the trend. It certainly can't hurt to make sure a bank knows why you're leaving and maybe it might do some good if a few others do the same.

Agreed. I'm sure there are a few employees out there that care. I banked with National City for many years because one of their branches did me right when I was in a pinch. When PNC was buying them out one of their branch managers whom I'd dealt with those many years called me one day and told me that I might want to think about moving to a different bank because, well, PNC. She and MANY of their other long time employees left shortly after the acquisition either voluntarily or "retired" and true to what she had told me the level of service went to hell in a hand basket.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom