• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Class Dismissed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2019
    West Lafayette
    I'm curious what others have experienced when getting pulled over by any police agency but particularly the Indiana State Police. (Also happy to get any critique or suggestions.) I recently got pulled over for speeding. Yep, turned off of a 55mph onto a 40 and didn't realize it until I saw the lights. The officer sat in his car a long time, no doubt seeing I haven't been pulled over in over 20 years. He also would have got info that the registrant has a carry permit.

Due to past experience in my hometown, I know a traffic stop is a really dangerous activity for a cop so I roll down my windows for the officer to see my hands on the wheel as they approach the car. This youngster asks if I know why he pulled me over, typical traffic stop questions. I talk with him then he asks, "you have a gun in the car?" Since I was directly asked and my hands are 10/2 on the wheel, I replied "yes"-not moving. The officer speedily unsnapped his holster, dropped his hips into shooting stance, put his hand on his gun, pointed at me with his other hand. Saw my phone "bulge" in my coat and yelled "IS THAT IT, IS THAT IT?", and continued yelling wanting to know where it was. I hadn't moved but lifted one hand up towards the headliner and pointed down at the console. He said "leave it there" and things started to settle down. Scared the hell out of me. (I couldn't find an emoji where he pisses himself.)

When I was young, a traffic stop outside of my little -burgh on an interstate led to a major shootout with most in the cars dead, several cops shot, including a family friend, and some killed in the line of duty. I get it being a nerve-wracking experience and I support local LEO. But how many police are shot by legal permit holders? What are they teaching the newbs? Maybe the number is bigger than I think, maybe I'm overreacting. Just curious if any others have similar or completely dissimilar experiences.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    What are they teaching the newbs?
    They are teaching 'em that every encounter could kill 'em and they'll have only microseconds to react properly (really, checkout some of the scenario training that is being used)

But most importantly, as I learned here on INGO:
    1. Never let the officer touch your wallet

Class Dismissed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2019
    West Lafayette
    They are teaching 'em that every encounter could kill 'em and they'll have only microseconds to react properly (really, checkout some of the scenario training that is being used)

But most importantly, as I learned here on INGO:
    1. Never let the officer touch your wallet

? What's up with the wallet?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Sounds a bit aggressive but seconds matter. At least his weapon stayed holstered.

...my hands are 10/2 on the wheel, I replied "yes"-not moving.

...wanting to know where it was. I hadn't moved but lifted one hand up towards the headliner and pointed down at the console.

Use your words, not your hands to explain where your weapon is. Keep those hands at 10/2.

I think through this scenario a lot. The officer ask you a question and you want to be helpful and compliant so you move your hands to be helpful (grab wallet, registration, show where your weapon is...). For those of us with infrequent LEO encounters we try to comply, particularly when the LEO is using his authoritative voice. I try to remind myself over and over to stay at 10/2.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm curious what others have experienced when getting pulled over by any police agency but particularly the Indiana State Police. (Also happy to get any critique or suggestions.) I recently got pulled over for speeding. Yep, turned off of a 55mph onto a 40 and didn't realize it until I saw the lights. The officer sat in his car a long time, no doubt seeing I haven't been pulled over in over 20 years. He also would have got info that the registrant has a carry permit.

Due to past experience in my hometown, I know a traffic stop is a really dangerous activity for a cop so I roll down my windows for the officer to see my hands on the wheel as they approach the car. This youngster asks if I know why he pulled me over, typical traffic stop questions. I talk with him then he asks, "you have a gun in the car?" Since I was directly asked and my hands are 10/2 on the wheel, I replied "yes"-not moving. The officer speedily unsnapped his holster, dropped his hips into shooting stance, put his hand on his gun, pointed at me with his other hand. Saw my phone "bulge" in my coat and yelled "IS THAT IT, IS THAT IT?", and continued yelling wanting to know where it was. I hadn't moved but lifted one hand up towards the headliner and pointed down at the console. He said "leave it there" and things started to settle down. Scared the hell out of me. (I couldn't find an emoji where he pisses himself.)

When I was young, a traffic stop outside of my little -burgh on an interstate led to a major shootout with most in the cars dead, several cops shot, including a family friend, and some killed in the line of duty. I get it being a nerve-wracking experience and I support local LEO. But how many police are shot by legal permit holders? What are they teaching the newbs? Maybe the number is bigger than I think, maybe I'm overreacting. Just curious if any others have similar or completely dissimilar experiences.

Not sure if srs, or trying to get a laugh. :tinfoil:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok I'm going to bite here. IF you feel a need to answer yes then be ready to communicate where it is located. Unless there has been a change I'm not aware of in IN you are not required to tell anyone you have a gun. Unless getting License, Registration or proof of insurance will uncover the gun you can just keep your mouth shut about it. Likewise it is not a crime to answer no if asked if you have any weapons in the car. Any of the INgo lawyers or LEO's can correct me if I am wrong

Top Bottom