• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The original title to the story contained the words "Southern Indiana". Being originally from the land of the "88" license plates that's serious click-bait. I was expecting Jeffersonville or somewhere north of Bloomington, maybe Evansville, not Salem.

I spent a lot of time in Salem in my younger days. Hung out there when cruising was still a thing, worked at Smith Cabinet/Child Craft (which was across Market Street from the fairgrounds, near where the guy in the story was shot.)

Police-action shooting and Salem are words that will never go together. A few clicks and I saw the guy who wouldn't drop the hammer and came towards the officers was on a path that leads to being shot. You still don't expect to see Salem in the story. To quote Bob Dylan, the times they are a changin.

SALEM, Ind. — State Police say a man has died in a police-action shooting in southern Indiana.

Sgt. Carey Huls says a Salem police officer shot and killed the man Wednesday afternoon near the Washington County Fairgrounds. State police later identified the deceased as 53-year-old Mark A. Naugle of Scottsburg.

After someone reported a suspicious person walking on the property, two Salem police officers spotted Naugle, who was standing in a creek that borders the property. ISP said Naugle approached the officers with a hammer and refused to drop it or stop his approach; at least one of the officers fired their weapon, killing Naugle.

Both officers have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure in such cases. The officers have not yet been identified.

https://fox59.com/2019/07/03/police-shoot-kill-man-in-southern-indiana/

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I forget where I read it, maybe on the WDRB website, but a guy that lives nearby was quoted as saying “I don’t know why they couldn’t have just wounded him, why’d they have to kill him”. :n00b:

Side note: I miss the fresh donuts from the Salem dairyland, that was always my favorite place to stop after a late night of fishing John Hay lake.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I forget where I read it, maybe on the WDRB website, but a guy that lives nearby was quoted as saying “I don’t know why they couldn’t have just wounded him, why’d they have to kill him”. :n00b:

Side note: I miss the fresh donuts from the Salem dairyland, that was always my favorite place to stop after a late night of fishing John Hay lake.

They can always find the "why didn't they shoot the gun out of his hand" guy.

Doughnuts at Dairyland. Ah man that takes me back. I knew most of the folks who worked there in the early-80s. The owner was a complete DB, all the employees were cool. Gas was a couple cents higher but it was better than most other places in town.

Go in there about 0100, the guys making the doughnuts had partaken in a certain herb. Order a ham and swiss with mayo, it would have a 1/4 pound of ham on it!! Different times, I miss those days.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    They can always find the "why didn't they shoot the gun out of his hand" guy.

Doughnuts at Dairyland. Ah man that takes me back. I knew most of the folks who worked there in the early-80s. The owner was a complete DB, all the employees were cool. Gas was a couple cents higher but it was better than most other places in town.

Go in there about 0100, the guys making the doughnuts had partaken in a certain herb. Order a ham and swiss with mayo, it would have a 1/4 pound of ham on it!! Different times, I miss those days.
    Damn, I forgot about the ham and cheese subs! Those were amazing! I knew one of the ladies that worked the late night shift there, well, I knew her from being in there a few times a week, really nice, We gave her a styrofoam cooler full of bluegills once, and she would make us the best sandwiches or throw a few extra donuts in whenever we went in. For some reason she always thought I worked at the Kimball plant in Borden.... I didn’t, but she was so nice about it I never had the heart to tell her I wasn’t whoever she thought I was.:):

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Damn, I forgot about the ham and cheese subs! Those were amazing! I knew one of the ladies that worked the late night shift there, well, I knew her from being in there a few times a week, really nice, We gave her a styrofoam cooler full of bluegills once, and she would make us the best sandwiches or throw a few extra donuts in whenever we went in. For some reason she always thought I worked at the Kimball plant in Borden.... I didn’t, but she was so nice about it I never had the heart to tell her I wasn’t whoever she thought I was.:):
    Let me guess, red-head?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Possibly, she was maybe early to mid 30s way back then (sometime in the mid 80s), a little on the heavy side.

That wasn't the red-head. I remember her, super nice lady, kinda short. She worked the same shift as a bud of mine. I'd stop in to talk to him and end up talking to her, she was super nice.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    That wasn't the red-head. I remember her, super nice lady, kinda short. She worked the same shift as a bud of mine. I'd stop in to talk to him and end up talking to her, she was super nice.
    The square in Salem was a special place on a Friday or Saturday night back then. I only hung out there a few times, wasn’t from there, but every time I drive through there, it always brings back good memories.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The square in Salem was a special place on a Friday or Saturday night back then. I only hung out there a few times, wasnÂ’t from there, but every time I drive through there, it always brings back good memories.

The Square was on one end, Powers Transmission was on the other end of "the lap" in Salem. There were no stoplights in Salem expect at Main and Hackberry (only stoplight in town back then.) McDonalds wasn't there yet, Main and Jackson (Powers Transmission was there) was a caution light.

Muscle cars were every day drivers. The girl in the green Gremlin was a very bad driver. Nobody knew her name, that's why we called her the girl in the green Gremlin.

Top Bottom