Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alabasterjar View Post
    Props for using this as an honest audit of your plan...

Fun little story...I have a friend who has firearms "planted" around the house (no kids/family, not much of an entertainer); claims he does that so he is "never more than x feet away from a firearm". At my work,we were doing an electrical upgrade, adding variable frequency drives to some big pumps. During start up, something in one of the old electrical panels gave up the ghost, emanating the unmistakeable smell of something letting out the magic blue smoke. I ran past 3 fire extinguishers to get to the one just outside my office door; the one I see 25 times a day. aside from the fact that the extinguisher I grabbed wasn't rated for electrical fires (like the one in the MCC room that I ran past), I reverted back to what I KNEW; i.e. where THE fire extinguisher was, outside my office.

This is the calculus you have to play out in your situation. When it hits the fan, will your brain default to the closest firearm hidden (that you probably haven't handled for 3 mos, maybe more)? Or will it default to the most familiar firearm? Unfortunately, this probably won't be apparent until a fan moment. You had one, take the time to evaluate your response and plan accordingly.

Thank you for candidly sharing your experience. It's made me take another look at how I handle things at home after the lights are out!
    Excellent points on memory and responses under pressure.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alabasterjar View Post
    Props for using this as an honest audit of your plan...

Fun little story...I have a friend who has firearms "planted" around the house (no kids/family, not much of an entertainer); claims he does that so he is "never more than x feet away from a firearm". At my work,we were doing an electrical upgrade, adding variable frequency drives to some big pumps. During start up, something in one of the old electrical panels gave up the ghost, emanating the unmistakeable smell of something letting out the magic blue smoke. I ran past 3 fire extinguishers to get to the one just outside my office door; the one I see 25 times a day. aside from the fact that the extinguisher I grabbed wasn't rated for electrical fires (like the one in the MCC room that I ran past), I reverted back to what I KNEW; i.e. where THE fire extinguisher was, outside my office.

This is the calculus you have to play out in your situation. When it hits the fan, will your brain default to the closest firearm hidden (that you probably haven't handled for 3 mos, maybe more)? Or will it default to the most familiar firearm? Unfortunately, this probably won't be apparent until a fan moment. You had one, take the time to evaluate your response and plan accordingly.

Thank you for candidly sharing your experience. It's made me take another look at how I handle things at home after the lights are out!
    That's a great example illustrating an important reality that few consider. Carrying on your person all the time at home solves that potential problem as well as a variety of others.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

rvb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BadBrassSauce.com View Post
    I observed a shirtless white male with hands in pockets tweaking out on the other side of largely glass door ten feet in front of me, peering through my front window and banging on the door staring at me and then waving.
    Me, talking through the door, nonchalantly putting hand in pocket getting a full firing grip on 642: Yo WTH do you want?
    Tweaker: [who cares what he says]
    Me: Wrong house dude, GTF outta here.

end of story.

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    Me, talking through the door, nonchalantly putting hand in pocket getting a full firing grip on 642: Yo WTH do you want?
    Tweaker: [who cares what he says]
    Me: Wrong house dude, GTF outta here.

end of story.

-rvb
    Yes but you still want LEO involved. They need to know a nut is wondering around loose.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

rvb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Yes but you still want LEO involved. They need to know a nut is wondering around loose.
    We call the cops every time a looser gets the house wrong and should have been next door? Was he threatening? He said he was waving.
    And we wonder why the cops are so busy it takes them 15 min to respond.....

Quote Originally Posted by BadBrassSauce.com View Post
    Turns out, it was a very very drunk friend of a neighbor who was confused what house he was returning to.
    -rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    We call the cops every time a looser gets the house wrong and should have been next door? Was he threatening? He said he was waving.
    And we wonder why the cops are so busy it takes them 15 min to respond.....

-rvb
    So the tweaker wonders down the street and bothers someone else and then some one else until it escalates into something bad. It happens. Not very time depending on the situation in total. I guess I have just dealt with a whole different level of nut jobs.

one example....late night door knock at a neighbors house, neighbor responded as you did. Nut job drunken drugged up idiot goes down and knocks again, different house. Same response, they sent him packing until he broke into next door neighbors truck and passes out in the seat. Neighbor found him in the morning in a pool of puke and piss in his new truck. Window broken out. When LEO came to scoop his worthless butt up the people up the street came down and talked to LEO. Seems this all could have been averted.
    Just one example.

You do it your way I guess.

-CM-

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

Plinker

User Info Menu

Glad it all worked out.

Glass is not much of a barrier...visually or physically. Lots of great looking solid doors out there. Think of all the people who might look in the house from the front porch when no one is home...sizing it up.

I tend to agree with rvb here about the 911 call...but you were in the situation and I wasn't. Remember though, most departments are inundated with calls and usually have to leave one call to get to another call.

You have security cameras? Might print off a few still photos of the drunk dude just in case something comes up missing around the place soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    That's a great example illustrating an important reality that few consider. Carrying on your person all the time at home solves that potential problem as well as a variety of others.
    QFT!

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jkdbjj View Post
    Glad it all worked out.

Glass is not much of a barrier...visually or physically. Lots of great looking solid doors out there. Think of all the people who might look in the house from the front porch when no one is home...sizing it up.

I tend to agree with rvb here about the 911 call...but you were in the situation and I wasn't. Remember though, most departments are inundated with calls and usually have to leave one call to get to another call.

You have security cameras? Might print off a few still photos of the drunk dude just in case something comes up missing around the place soon.
    So you would ignore as well. ???

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    So the tweaker wonders down the street and bothers someone else and then some one else until it escalates into something bad. It happens. Not very time depending on the situation in total. I guess I have just dealt with a whole different level of nut jobs.

one example....late night door knock at a neighbors house, neighbor responded as you did. Nut job drunken drugged up idiot goes down and knocks again, different house. Same response, they sent him packing until he broke into next door neighbors truck and passes out in the seat. Neighbor found him in the morning in a pool of puke and piss in his new truck. Window broken out. When LEO came to scoop his worthless butt up the people up the street came down and talked to LEO. Seems this all could have been averted.
    Just one example.

You do it your way I guess.

-CM-

Cop calling is not a 100% given. Depends on each situation as to if I want to expose myself to lawyers, court, testifying etc for a transient scumbag. Have to hope the neighbors are on top of things as I can't save everybody.
    "See you on the Range"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast