• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Somber times like this, after the El Paso active shooter, brings me pause. What could I have done to stop the carnage?

If circumstances were right, could you have put effective stopping rounds on a rifle wielding active shooter?

If you were alone, without family or friends to safely evacuate and had cover, could you have stopped the active shooter from 50 yards with your EDC?

Obviously, the rifle in your trunk would be a better tool, but all you have is your EDC. Could you put effective rounds on the shooter to stop them from further shooting?

We're not talking dangerous to yourself and others spray and pray or foolish "hero" running into the gunfire. We're talking about accurate marksmanship that you have practiced/trained at and can execute with more than 80% of your shots.

Could you make those shots?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    In before "it depends." (And Jerry Miculek can do it).

But seriously, have you grouped a striker-fired handgun at 50 yards? If he's within range of you...you're within range of him. But he has a rifle. And is likely not stationary.

I can do it one-handed at 50 yards...but I do not carry my bullseye gun. And a slide-mounted optic, unfortunately, does not make my carry gun into a bullseye gun.

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    If within 15yrds, I'll give it all I got to stop it. I'm pretty sure he's not shooting back once I get my rounds on him. Yup, that's pretty bold of me to say that. I know. But I'm tired of cowards like these. They're all just lucky not to have someone shoot back at them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If within 15yrds, I'll give it all I got to stop it. I'm pretty sure he's not shooting back once I get my rounds on him. Yup, that's pretty bold of me to say that. I know. But I'm tired of cowards like these. They're all just lucky not to have someone shoot back at them.

Pretty much. And yes we shoot out to 50 with our hand guns. A lot.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Everyone who carries should train and find out what their capabilities are. Work on your shortcomings. Can you make a 50 yard shot with your adrenaline pumping? Most people can’t....as CM said, it’s a tough one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Everyone who carries should train and find out what their capabilities are. Work on your shortcomings. Can you make a 50 yard shot with your adrenaline pumping? Most people can’t....as CM said, it’s a tough one.

The heart rate and anxiety's that go with this would be a limiting factor or it could enhance your SA. Different with everyone.

I have shot with you. Inside 25 yards with any real control it is a no brainer.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am totally confident I could effectively make a center mass hit at 50 yds with any gun I regularly carry. But it's going to depend on my cover and his as well as what's behind the shooter. On the range, sure, but it's hard to train on the range for mass shooting response.

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    30-40 yards, yes. 50 yards, I’m unsure.

I’ll definitely work on pushing myself on accuracy at those distances and see what I can accomplish.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Well, are all of you here can really shoot 50 yrds with hand gun on a moving target that can clearly shoot back? Or is this just armchair quarterbacking?

If a round hits the perp, then that's all is needed regardless if it was a lethal shot or not as instinct wise, that person is sure either going to run or hide and the carnage stops. But to actually kill at 50 yrds instantly, questionaable.

I'd love to anyone here shoot a popper at 50 yrds that's a moving target with no make up shot.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Well, are all of you here can really shoot 50 yrds with hand gun on a moving target that can clearly shoot back? Or is this just armchair quarterbacking?

If a round hits the perp, then that's all is needed regardless if it was a lethal shot or not as instinct wise, that person is sure either going to run or hide and the carnage stops. But to actually kill at 50 yrds instantly, questionaable.

I'd love to anyone here shoot a popper at 50 yrds that's a moving target with no make up shot.

Most of us have said we are unsure we could do the 50 yard shot. And the ones who said they could have added the caveat that the result in real life might be different than what they can do on the range.

I feel that the responses so far have been realistic. Obviously I don’t know if anyone here is telling the truth, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing to be confident in your marksmanship.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you take on a rifle toting shooter, your rounds have to count or it's suicide.

How fast can you run to get to that 15-25 yard, for sure shot, if the shooter is focused another direction?

Can you still make the shots after that 25-35 yard run?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I've missed targets much closer with no one shooting back.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

He would not be moving all the time. The shoot would come. If he stopped and turned to address you he would be stopped. I see what you are saying and no, not moving at 50 with a safe shot depending on back ground. Moving to flank, many other things that can come up. No set response here. It would be fluid. But a clear shot at 50 is very doable.

In truth we often run it out to 100 but the rounds do not always make the distance. Depending on the rounds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you take on a rifle toting shooter, your rounds have to count or it's suicide.

How fast can you run to get to that 15-25 yard, for sure shot, if the shooter is focused another direction? Can you still make the shots after that 25-35 yard run?

I have seen you hit off a hand gun across the lake at a gathering of Ingo Miscreants....:)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I regularly shoot 6” plates at 25 with a run from 50. But outside of “hold my beer and watch this” I don’t regularly shoot past 25 with my handgun. Guess I should add that in to my drills? I need to know my hold at 50 and 75 anyway, so off to the range in the morning.

Top Bottom