Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

I tried it a couple days ago @ 40 yards, which is the max range @ the Point Blank I go to. I got down on a knee and braced across the bench, which I felt was reasonable conditions in a store or larger restaurant. Standing I would try to brace off a wall or something similar. With a Gen 3 Glock 17 with suppressor sights and Federal Champion 115's, aiming at the face, I was making upper chest shots, around a 10 inch group. ( I know, I suck). I don't know that I have ever shot that far with a 9mm before. Definitely an eye opener as I don't think that I could do that on the move or off hand. Best case is suppressive fire at that point.
    Operation Desert Storm Veteran, Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, For God and Country.

Expert

User Info Menu

Though it is probably relevant to question if an attorney would be able to justify your 'defensive' shooting at "half a football field away"....which is EXACTLY how the jury would hear it from the prosecutor.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Well I got to shoot today. I can hit a 12"x16" target 5 out of 5 with something to lay or lean my pistol against. Standing I was able to only hit 2 out of 5. Ammo used was Brown Bear 115gr FMJ Got a free box from friend wanted me to try them out

Pistol used was a Canik TP9DA 9mm love it.
    Attachment 79117
    50 Yards off rest
    Attachment 79116
    Ammo Used Brown Bear 115gr FMJ. Love free ammo...
    Attachment 79118
    50 yards standing. One second between shots to add a little stress to it. Got 2 hits beside each other the other 3 went high.
    Attachment 79119
    TP9DA Love this pistol.
    Attachment 79120
    10 yards rapid fire 5 shots.

I did find out my pistol shoots low at 50 yards so had to aim higher.At least the Brown bear was shooting low.
    Last edited by DadSmith; 08-10-2019 at 10:25.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    Though it is probably relevant to question if an attorney would be able to justify your 'defensive' shooting at "half a football field away"....which is EXACTLY how the jury would hear it from the prosecutor.
    Yeah this is why I wouldn't engage out that far. Even in an active shooter situation my mindset is going to be getting out, not necessarily engaging unless the target is within 25 yards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1nderbeard View Post
    Yeah this is why I wouldn't engage out that far. Even in an active shooter situation my mindset is going to be getting out, not necessarily engaging unless the target is within 25 yards.
    This is a moral decision for us all to make, but in my case... mass shooter in my immediate vicinity = jury/trial be damned, I am armed and I have more capability than the innocent unarmed to deal with the threat. I will do what I can to take them down. That being said, I don't have people dependent on me (yet). Maybe that changes when I have a couple kids running around, only time will tell.
    If you are standing upright, do not worry if your shadow is crooked.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Well, for me to see an active nutbag shooting into crowds of people and not at least try to stop him is just not in my nature. No knock on anyone or how they would react as we are all who we are but no way I would not at least try. Get the spouse down and under cover and yes I would take that shot. I am full well aware of what that shot involves. Used to run at least 4 mags at 50 every range trip. Not so much anymore with the steel bays set up at MCF&G but this thread will have me back on the main line next week getting that back on the list of available skill sets.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Hey 1nderbeard
    In a Hypothetical situation where said shooter with rifle is gunning for you at 50 yards or so no chance to get out what then?

I think a person should prepare for any situation they can possibly think of IMO.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    Hey 1nderbeard
    In a Hypothetical situation where said shooter with rifle is gunning for you at 50 yards or so no chance to get out what then?

I think a person should prepare for any situation they can possibly think of IMO.
    Of course in that (albeit unlikely) scenario I'd dump all my mags in to or in the general direction of the bad guy. I'd also be rapidly closing the distance so that his rifle advantage would be negated. I'm just saying in the limited training time and ammo I have I probably wouldn't train at that range.

Also my decision not to engage at a distance where I'd be at such a tactical disadvantage rests in the fact I have four dependents at home relying on me. If I had no one as a few posts mention above, I'd feel the need to engage at whatever distance I could.

User Info Menu

Of course in that (albeit unlikely) scenario I'd dump all my mags in to or in the general direction of the bad guy. I'd also be rapidly closing the distance so that his rifle advantage would be negated. I'm just saying in the limited training time and ammo I have I probably wouldn't train at that range.

Also my decision not to engage at a distance where I'd be at such a tactical disadvantage rests in the fact I have four dependents at home relying on me. If I had no one as a few posts mention above, I'd feel the need to engage at whatever distance I could.
    I ask because in the event say of El Paso shooter had an AK he was walking in moving forward and shooting whomever.

I got to thinking what would I do if I was caught where the fish and or health products were. No emergency exits only way out is through the bad guy as he moves toward my position.

If he has a high power rifle such as the AK47 them isles won't stop a round. As you said got to move towards him and take him out. If he's 50 yards away maybe try one or two well aimed shots maybe hit him and throw him off then head toward him.

User Info Menu

If an active murderer is in the process of methodically murdering people, whether or not my actions are legally defensible will not be a part of my thinking process in that moment. I will be deciding what actions I need to take to preserve the pachyderm and to maybe save some other people if I can. If the best choice in the moment is to put rounds into the threat from 50 or even 75 yards and that's a viable option, it's getting prioritized among the choices.

This is not unlike shooting an active murderer in the back if you have the chance. There is nothing "wrong" with it and overall an example of good tactics if you are presented with the opportunity under such dire circumstances.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast