Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

50 yard CCW shooting.

bwframe ask a great question in his thread. Can you successful engage a bad guy at 50 yards?

That got me thinking. I'm going to try just that and post my 1st target I shoot at. And will post as I practice and hopefully progress to get better.

I would love any criticism that would be helpful to improve.

While I'm at it I would love for you guys who want to do this post your targets from 50 yards with your ccw weapon or weapons.

I'm going to try and start tomorrow fingers crossed.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

This should be incorported in a match like carry gun match by Coach, not just static shooting with 1 or 2 targets like a bulleye shooting. Knowing where your POA and POI on your carry gun helps.

Marksman

User Info Menu

IDPA now has a rule that shots may be up to 50 yards for some courses of fire and Atlanta Conservation Club has a 50 yard bay. They have shot at about 45 yards and that is a long way looking over handgun sights. Lot of points down but still not as bad as I had thought it would be. For me at 50 yards with no bystanders near the shooter, I would engage. Hopefully the shooter would follow a pattern of surrender or suicide as soon as they are fired upon. Jim.

User Info Menu

I posted this in bwframeís original post. It was my first time doing it and I loved it. It improved my speed and accuracy at 25 yards and in. Iíll be doing 50 yard shots from a cold start the next time out. Weíll see if the results change at all.

I went to the range this morning and worked on accuracy at distance. I had never shot at 50 yards before so I started there. I did 5 rounds at a time.

The first 5 rounds were high left. I realized I was holding too high and not focusing on my support hand grip enough. My second group of 5 was better with 4/5 hitting the silhouette.

Hereís my 3rd group. 4/5 on target:

Hereís my 4th group. 4/5 in the 8 inch circle, all on target:

I then decided to try and induce some stress, even though itís nowhere near real life stress. I used a 20 round mag. I sprinted from the target to the 50 yard mark, drew my gun, fired 5 shots. I then sprinted to the 25 yard mark and fired 5 more. I finished by sprinting to the 15 yard mark and shot 10 rounds.

I ended up with 3 shots missing the silhouette and 4 other shots outside of the 8 inch circle:

I ran all of this with my EDC set up. A Beretta Elite LTT in a Dale Fricke Archangel holster. It wasnít perfect, but I learned a lot about what Iím capable of and how I can improve. So at this point Iíd say yes, Iím comfortable engaging from 50 yards with my EDC if I had to do so.

User Info Menu

I know Coach loves it when I repeat my "good ol' days" stories . . . so here goes.

Back in the mid 1990s at my first USPSA club (the now defunct Coal Creek Gun Club near Veedersburg), we had a pistol stage with 50 yard targets at almost every match. The largest of the three bays was a little over 50 yards deep, and we made use of it. Usually it would be Pepper Poppers or US Poppers, which was good because you knew for sure if you hit. I'm one of the stubborn people who would not continue to the next targets until all of the steel was down. US Poppers at 50 yards are a significant challenge for anyone.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

I would add adrenalin to it first before I can say I'm comfortable engaging 50yrd, with a moving target.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by happygunner View Post
    I would add adrenalin to it first before I can say I'm comfortable engaging 50yrd, with a moving target.
    We could inject you with epi-pen and let you have at it!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Bring it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by happygunner View Post
    Bring it.
    Believe it or not, more than ten years ago, Massad Ayoob and some volunteers actually did it with varying epinephrine doses and compared their performance on some drills and stages. I do not recall the conclusions! They were also among the first to use stun guns on each other to both show how ineffective they are and to add stress to make the shooting challenge more difficult.

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nakinate View Post
    I posted this in bwframeís original post. It was my first time doing it and I loved it. It improved my speed and accuracy at 25 yards and in. Iíll be doing 50 yard shots from a cold start the next time out. Weíll see if the results change at all.

I went to the range this morning and worked on accuracy at distance. I had never shot at 50 yards before so I started there. I did 5 rounds at a time.

The first 5 rounds were high left. I realized I was holding too high and not focusing on my support hand grip enough. My second group of 5 was better with 4/5 hitting the silhouette.

Hereís my 3rd group. 4/5 on target:

Hereís my 4th group. 4/5 in the 8 inch circle, all on target:

I then decided to try and induce some stress, even though itís nowhere near real life stress. I used a 20 round mag. I sprinted from the target to the 50 yard mark, drew my gun, fired 5 shots. I then sprinted to the 25 yard mark and fired 5 more. I finished by sprinting to the 15 yard mark and shot 10 rounds.

I ended up with 3 shots missing the silhouette and 4 other shots outside of the 8 inch circle:

I ran all of this with my EDC set up. A Beretta Elite LTT in a Dale Fricke Archangel holster. It wasnít perfect, but I learned a lot about what Iím capable of and how I can improve. So at this point Iíd say yes, Iím comfortable engaging from 50 yards with my EDC if I had to do so.
    Nice. I got to busy yesterday will try today.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast