Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Good Grief.

This is one that almost leaves me speechless...but not quite.

In today's political climate, I would no longer even consider open carrying a handgun in any public venue. Yes, my right to do so is absolute. And yes, it's a damned shame. But with rights come responsibilties, and no matter how calm and non-threatening any of us are, it's no longer a matter of IF one of us will cause a panic, but WHEN and WHERE.

We can't lose sight of the fact that one of the key factors in helping to preserve our right to keep and bear arms is to win hearts & minds, and I can't imagine a more stupid and counter-productive stunt than what this guy pulled.
    "Don't let your mouth write no checks that your ass can't cash" - old ghetto saying

User Info Menu

This is one of the reasons that I've pretty much determined that, for me, if my family or I are not DIRECTLY involved or DIRECTLY in danger - It'd be hard pressed to get me involved.

It may have been "easy" to pop this dope. And in the court of public opinion, probably justified. But the court of public opinion isn't the criminal justice court nor civil court. I can't afford those two courts.

Dude is still lucky he didn't get iced.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Yep, he was lucky. I could easily some guy seeing him and thinking, bad guy, cap his ass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    This is one of the reasons that I've pretty much determined that, for me, if my family or I are not DIRECTLY involved or DIRECTLY in danger - It'd be hard pressed to get me involved.

It may have been "easy" to pop this dope. And in the court of public opinion, probably justified. But the court of public opinion isn't the criminal justice court nor civil court. I can't afford those two courts.

Dude is still lucky he didn't get iced.

Damn...now there's a dilemma for you.

Let's say you encounter an asshat like this. He walks past you in the Walmart parking lot, in a tactical vest, AR15 slung. And that's ALL he's doing...walking. He has technically violated no law (at least around here). You don't verbally challenge him nor do you throw down on him.

He then walks in Walmart and offs 20 people.

I can only imagine how I would feel if I had the opportunity to stop something like this but didn't.

Where is the line? At what point is a moral, armed citizen justified in intervening in a situation like this? Can an idiot reach a point where his exercise of a constitutional right is so stupid and reckless that he no longer HAS that right?
    "Don't let your mouth write no checks that your ass can't cash" - old ghetto saying

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Sanders View Post

Let's say you encounter an asshat like this. He walks past you in the Walmart parking lot, in a tactical vest, AR15 slung. And that's ALL he's doing...walking. He has technically violated no law (at least around here). You don't verbally challenge him nor do you throw down on him.

I can only imagine how I would feel if I had the opportunity to stop something like this but didn't.

Where is the line? At what point is a moral, armed citizen justified in intervening in a situation like this? Can an idiot reach a point where his exercise of a constitutional right is so stupid and reckless that he no longer HAS that right?
    Iíd guess if he was an active shooter, he would start immediately and he be spewing rounds in the parking lot.

But youíre right until he raises the rifle, heís not a threat. Iíd bet in the current climate the mere sight of him made the 911 switchboard look like a Christmas tree.

As a citizen, you can only engage when heís a threat. If youíre that concerned, call the cops.

User Info Menu

If he walks by me, and I then get in my car with me and mine and proceed to leave the area as would be normal for me and mine... I'm OK with that.

My first earthly duty on this planet is to my wife. My kids are an immediate and imperceptibly close 2nd.

No one else is paying my legal bills. No one else is paying for my medical bills.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nakinate View Post
    For a non-LEO the idea of holding someone at gun point seems like a silly idea. If they decide to run or walk away what will you do? You canít shoot them if they arenít a threat.

Now, I donít think the CCWer did anything wrong. Iíd have likely done the same. But to me holding someone at gun point is an empty threat for a civilian. (That being said it is likely to keep the perp from becoming violent.)
    Not only silly but also probably illegal as well.
    I believe it's illegal in Indiana to point a loaded weapon at someone (unless you're a LEO or in a self defense situation), and you can't legally detain someone if they haven't done anything illegal.

Hopefully that ex-firefighter doesn't get charged with anything.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Stupid. Simply stupid.
    Yuppers.

Just because you CAN act like an A-hole does not mean that you SHOULD.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yup! View Post
    Iíd guess if he was an active shooter, he would start immediately and he be spewing rounds in the parking lot.
    You'd be wrong. They don't, necessarily.
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Sanders View Post

You have to make a call at least. A sling rifle in public these days needs challenged. I would guess the mission of the person with the gun could be determined very quickly perhaps without challenging the person. After orienting start acting.

I have challenged 2 different "rifleman" in public without shooting anyone. Or calling the cops. It came out fine. But in neither case was the man acting with ill will. Just stupid.

No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

abright@ccrtc.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast