• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Below is the news article describing the incident, in the second post I will post my own thoughts to keep things uncluttered .

"The Springfield Police Department says it responded to a call of an active shooter at the Walmart Neighborhood Market at Republic Rd., near Golden Ave., Thursday evening.

The Springfield Police Department arrived on scene within three minutes of the call. Police stated that a young white male, appearing to be in his twenties, pulled up to the Walmart, where he donned body armor and military fatigues. Police say the man had tactical weapons.

Police then say the man walked into the Walmart: Neighborhood Market where he grabbed a cart and began pushing it around the store. Police say the man was recording himself walking through the store via a cell phone.

The store manager at the Neighborhood Market pulled a fire alarm, urging people to escape the store.

Police say the man then made his way out an emergency exit where a former firefighter held the man at gunpoint. At that moment Springfield Police arrived on scene and detained the man.

The Springfield Police Department could not confirm the nature of statements said by the man to those inside of the Walmart, but they do confirm that the man had loaded weapons, and over one hundred rounds of ammunition.

Police also observed many shoppers hiding outside the Walmart and at nearby businesses.

Lieutenant Mike Lucas said it was clear the man's intent was to cause chaos, saying in part, "His intent was not to cause peace or comfort...He's lucky he's alive still, to be honest."

Police identified the man's vehicle and are investigating the possibility of more firearms inside the vehicle."

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/He...od-Market-in-south-Springfield-528602951.html

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Personally there are only two possible motives this guy could have possibly had.

1.) He was trying to perform a "2a Audit" I have seen several of these types on YouTube basically trying to get the cops called on them only to record the entire thing and "educate" the cops on open carry being 100% legal and so on.

2.) He was trying to cause mass panic

I think this would be a "2a Audit" type situation since it appears they guy was recording the entire thing on his phone.

That being said, I also believe the fire fighter was 100% in the right holding this guy at gunpoint till the cops arrived. Why would anyone in their right minds not even a week after the Walmart shooting in El Paso Texas think this idiotic idea would ever end well? The "Auditor" is honestly probably lucky the Fire Fighter didn't just shoot him.

For the record I generally have no problems with open carry (handguns and open carry rifle rallies) but this is just totally ridiculous (despite no crime being technically committed )

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    For a non-LEO the idea of holding someone at gun point seems like a silly idea. If they decide to run or walk away what will you do? You can’t shoot them if they aren’t a threat.

Now, I don’t think the CCWer did anything wrong. I’d have likely done the same. But to me holding someone at gun point is an empty threat for a civilian. (That being said it is likely to keep the perp from becoming violent.)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Either way, his timing really sucked. You don't have to be up on current events like GPIA to know this isn't the best time to "donn tactical gear" (military fatigues? seriously? Half of Missouri walkin around in camo) and walk into a Wal-Mart with a long gun streaming a video.

Better headline: GOOD GUY WITH A GUN IN A STATE WITH CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY TAKES ACTION IN THE 3 MINUTES BETWEEN POTENTIALLY DEADLY SITUATION AND POLICE ARRIVING.

Greene County keeps pushing the bar, in the wrong direction. Another take away is if you watch Live PD you know the Police there are BUSY. It might be a while before they get there and you might need to take some form of action prior to their arrival.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Personally there are only two possible motives this guy could have possibly had.
    1.) He was trying to perform a "2a Audit" I have seen several of these types on YouTube basically trying to get the cops called on them only to record the entire thing and "educate" the cops on open carry being 100% legal and so on.
    2.) He was trying to cause mass panic
    I think this would be a "2a Audit" type situation since it appears they guy was recording the entire thing on his phone.
    That being said, I also believe the fire fighter was 100% in the right holding this guy at gunpoint till the cops arrived. Why would anyone in their right minds not even a week after the Walmart shooting in El Paso Texas think this idiotic idea would ever end well? The "Auditor" is honestly probably lucky the Fire Fighter didn't just shoot him.
    For the record I generally have no problems with open carry (handguns and open carry rifle rallies) but this is just totally ridiculous (despite no crime being technically committed )

Pretty much my sentiments exactly! What a stupid thing to do, especially with consideration for the events of this past week, not only for the 'trauma' it may have caused for a few of the shoppers, but also for the timing of it! When people are on 'alert' due to a recent and horrific event, in our country, doing even a '2A-Audit' puts him in the very stupid category!
    IMO, 'legal' doesn't always equate to 'right' in some circumstances...and IMO this fits into that category!
    I, 95% of the time, carry concealed, mainly just so I don't draw attention to myself...especially in situations where stupidity can get you killed!
    Simple common sense and a little intelligence...are both lost attributes in this country!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Stupid. Simply stupid.

+1 for me.

And for me, I don't see how this advances or improves our view as law abiding gun owners to the general public. Having a right doesn't mean that it is right to throw it in everyone's face.

That guy did more to advance the banning of firearms than he did anything else.

I will be surprised if Walmart doesn't have "No Firearms" signs in their windows by the end of the month.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Before making too many judgments here. I would be really interested in what was on his video recording.

Eitherway he's a dumbass I'm just curious as to how big of one.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    One of the responsibilities that comes with firearm ownership is sound judgement.

We have to make split decisions on when is the right time to draw/shoot.

We have to make decisions on where to store them.

We have to make decisions on how to interact with others when carrying.

Having sound judgement isn’t a prerequisite to the right but it goes a long way towards helping us preserve it.

This guy is 100% legal (based on the story) but 100% stupid and made poor judgement, I’m ok with him losing his rights at least temporarily.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Good Grief.

This is one that almost leaves me speechless...but not quite.

In today's political climate, I would no longer even consider open carrying a handgun in any public venue. Yes, my right to do so is absolute. And yes, it's a damned shame. But with rights come responsibilties, and no matter how calm and non-threatening any of us are, it's no longer a matter of IF one of us will cause a panic, but WHEN and WHERE.

We can't lose sight of the fact that one of the key factors in helping to preserve our right to keep and bear arms is to win hearts & minds, and I can't imagine a more stupid and counter-productive stunt than what this guy pulled.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    This is one of the reasons that I've pretty much determined that, for me, if my family or I are not DIRECTLY involved or DIRECTLY in danger - It'd be hard pressed to get me involved.

It may have been "easy" to pop this dope. And in the court of public opinion, probably justified. But the court of public opinion isn't the criminal justice court nor civil court. I can't afford those two courts.

Dude is still lucky he didn't get iced.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    This is one of the reasons that I've pretty much determined that, for me, if my family or I are not DIRECTLY involved or DIRECTLY in danger - It'd be hard pressed to get me involved.

It may have been "easy" to pop this dope. And in the court of public opinion, probably justified. But the court of public opinion isn't the criminal justice court nor civil court. I can't afford those two courts.

Dude is still lucky he didn't get iced.

Damn...now there's a dilemma for you.

Let's say you encounter an asshat like this. He walks past you in the Walmart parking lot, in a tactical vest, AR15 slung. And that's ALL he's doing...walking. He has technically violated no law (at least around here). You don't verbally challenge him nor do you throw down on him.

He then walks in Walmart and offs 20 people.

I can only imagine how I would feel if I had the opportunity to stop something like this but didn't.

Where is the line? At what point is a moral, armed citizen justified in intervening in a situation like this? Can an idiot reach a point where his exercise of a constitutional right is so stupid and reckless that he no longer HAS that right?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

Let's say you encounter an asshat like this. He walks past you in the Walmart parking lot, in a tactical vest, AR15 slung. And that's ALL he's doing...walking. He has technically violated no law (at least around here). You don't verbally challenge him nor do you throw down on him.

I can only imagine how I would feel if I had the opportunity to stop something like this but didn't.

Where is the line? At what point is a moral, armed citizen justified in intervening in a situation like this? Can an idiot reach a point where his exercise of a constitutional right is so stupid and reckless that he no longer HAS that right?

I’d guess if he was an active shooter, he would start immediately and he be spewing rounds in the parking lot.

But you’re right until he raises the rifle, he’s not a threat. I’d bet in the current climate the mere sight of him made the 911 switchboard look like a Christmas tree.

As a citizen, you can only engage when he’s a threat. If you’re that concerned, call the cops.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If he walks by me, and I then get in my car with me and mine and proceed to leave the area as would be normal for me and mine... I'm OK with that.

My first earthly duty on this planet is to my wife. My kids are an immediate and imperceptibly close 2nd.

No one else is paying my legal bills. No one else is paying for my medical bills.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For a non-LEO the idea of holding someone at gun point seems like a silly idea. If they decide to run or walk away what will you do? You can’t shoot them if they aren’t a threat.

Now, I don’t think the CCWer did anything wrong. I’d have likely done the same. But to me holding someone at gun point is an empty threat for a civilian. (That being said it is likely to keep the perp from becoming violent.)

Not only silly but also probably illegal as well.
    I believe it's illegal in Indiana to point a loaded weapon at someone (unless you're a LEO or in a self defense situation), and you can't legally detain someone if they haven't done anything illegal.

Hopefully that ex-firefighter doesn't get charged with anything.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

You have to make a call at least. A sling rifle in public these days needs challenged. I would guess the mission of the person with the gun could be determined very quickly perhaps without challenging the person. After orienting start acting.

I have challenged 2 different "rifleman" in public without shooting anyone. Or calling the cops. It came out fine. But in neither case was the man acting with ill will. Just stupid.

Top Bottom