Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

When can you start classifying someone as a threat?

Scenario: Itís around 11pm on the outskirts of Indy at a sparsely populated gas station. A women sees a man approaching as she is pumping gas. She doesnít feel that she can make it into the car before the man would get to her. She engages verbally and says she doesnít have any money. The man continues to approach with no visible weapons. She feels in danger, puts her hand on her gun (doesnít draw, doesnít say she has a gun, doesnít do so in a way to try and brandish) in case the man doesnít stop. The man sees this says something along the lines of I wasnít going to rob you, I need gas money and gives his sob story (heís driving a niceish car) And eventually leaves.

The question: If this hypothetical scenario were to happen to my girlfriend (or anyone else) whatís the best course of action here?

If I saw a range weapon I would engage the person as a threat. If it was something like a knife or bat I would issue verbal commands until I felt that I had no other choice than to use force. We all know unarmed does not mean not a threat, so where does a person become a threat? Draw to a low ready and issue commands? Draw the gun and try to get your keys out so you can get in your car? Retreat even though its away from the well lit area and further from the people inside the gas station?

User Info Menu

If youíre free youíll never see the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Listen to Rhino, Coach, NHT3, and as much as I hate to say it, Chezuki. :-)
    Mooresville #78 F. & A. M.

User Info Menu

There are steps involved in managing an unknown contact to determine if someone is a threat.

For example, when someone approaches you hold up your hands in front of your chest and verbally say, "hey, hold up a minute. That's close enough."

Most normal folks will stop there. If they continue, you say forcefully, "STOP!" with hands still raised. Again, a well meaning person will stop. They might think you're a dick, but they will stop.

At this point, anyone that continues to advance has qualified themself as a threat. Before they reach you yell, "back the **** up!" That will draw the attention of any bystanders who will see you with your hands out in a defensive yet submissive posture and rightfully assume the other person is an aggressor.

From this point if they continue to advance it's time to prepare to defend yourself. Whether or not that means drawing a gun depends on the scenario, including the size of the aggressor, whether or not they have a weapon, your age and theirs. Basically the factors that determine disparity of force. At the very least you should be prepared to go hands on to defend yourself.

Take a managing confrontations class to learn pre attack cues and role play the various steps. A good force on force class will let you practice the hands on defense aspect. But if you're good at managing contacts, you're much less likely to get to the force stage.

ETA: Chez cut right to the chase with the link. Everything I described above I learned in that class.
    Well the sheriff couldn't catch me now, but his little girl? Sure wish she would.

User Info Menu

INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

There is no easy answer.

And what my seem okay in the street, might look different to a jury.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

User Info Menu

When can you start classifying someone as a threat?

When they ignore our safe word.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

User Info Menu

Knowing when you can start classifying someone as a threat can be less clear then knowing when someone is no longer a threat.

User Info Menu

Scenario: Itís around 11pm on the outskirts of Indy at a sparsely populated gas station. A: I wouldn't be there. B: Everyone is a threat.

If you're pumping gas just stop, point the spigot at him and take a lighter out of your pocket and say "do you really want to go here sparky?"
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

User Info Menu

In any situation: ask yourself one question. If I don t shoot this person am I going to die or be severly injure? If the answer is yes. Shoot them. If the answer is anuthing but yes do something else.

The safe course of action is treat everyone as a rhreat, but your actions must be reasonable.
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

abright@ccrtc.com

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    In any situation: ask yourself one question. If I don t shoot this person am I going to die or be severly injure? If the answer is yes. Shoot them. If the answer is anuthing but yes do something else.

The safe course of action is treat everyone as a rhreat, but your actions must be reasonable.
    Bingo.

Every gas station on every corner will have a miscreant or 2 lurking or on the way there. I was leaving AllenM's place out in Avon one day and stopped to fill my truck on Rockville rd. A fairly new blazer pulled into a pump close to me. Douche-bag got out and started approaching everyone at the pumps panhandling. I watched is game and when he got close to me I put up left hand and gave him the "Oh Hell No" look. He called me a white prick and turned to leave. I just smiled and agreed.I am white and I can be a prick if provoked. They left and pulled into the station just down the street and started the same game. I will bet even money the drove out to the target rich Avon hunting grounds from the city.

Were they dangerous..??
    I do not care to find out. I see this crap all the time.
    If they saw a very soft target would they escalate the game for a quick hit.....you betcha most of them would.

If you are being "Approached" keep you spidey senses engaged.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast