Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsharmon7 View Post
    This just happened within the past day or two:

EDIT: This version has more info than the Fox 59 version.

https://www.wthr.com/article/suspect...s-self-defense

There was apparently a verbal altercation. The victim untucked his shirt and then approached the suspect with his palms open and facing forward. Suspect draws and shoots the victim from a range of 4ft. Shooter had a valid LTCH and stayed at the scene.

Now, thatís pretty limited info, but I think the shooter is going to have a tough time with this argument. Either there was more to the verbal altercation, or the shooter didnít understand his legal grounds to shoot. I always encourage gun owners to get legal training in addition to the physical aspect of self defense.
    This will be the key. At first I was thinking palms out? That dudes cooked, and then as I thought about it more, it made sense. I've seen a lot of guys untuck their shirts and then posture their hands in the "what you gonna do" stance, just before they take a swing at you. Now can his be articulated to justify the shooting? That seems like an uphill battle, but it wouldn't surprise me, if the deceased had every intention of attacking the shooter.
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
    This will be the key. At first I was thinking palms out? That dudes cooked, and then as I thought about it more, it made sense. I've seen a lot of guys untuck their shirts and then posture their hands in the "what you gonna do" stance, just before they take a swing at you. Now can his be articulated to justify the shooting? That seems like an uphill battle, but it wouldn't surprise me, if the deceased had every intention of attacking the shooter.
    Itís probably his only hope at this point. Threats were made and the victim approached...will that be enough?
    'Til that time I will remain, 'til the sinners lay down with the saints.

User Info Menu

Guessing the shooter may have known something about the deceased we don't know (yet). Or maybe bad blood between them?

User Info Menu

It certainly does not look good from this vantage point.
    LCSOSgt11
    "May God protect those when in mortal combat, remember FRONT SIGHT, PRESS.

User Info Menu

There's no disparity of force. Did he think the other guy was armed?

I would add the brain isn't fully developed until age 23, but with adult toys come adult consequences.
    I'm gonna, riiiide 'till I can't no more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    There's no disparity of force. Did he think the other guy was armed?

I would add the brain isn't fully developed until age 23, but with adult toys come adult consequences.
    I'm more interested in whether any belief about whether the guy had a gun was a reasonable belief...and even then, he has to have a reasonable belief that he is in danger of death or great bodily injury, not just that a guy has a gun. If that were enough, all the OCers are going to have a rough time.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Hopefully the whole story will come out. They have charged him with murder for a reason.

Bob
    Last edited by flatlander; 08-13-2019 at 18:27.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I think the lead up to the shooting is going to be important. Did the shooter try to verbally deescalate? Did he try to retreat? If Iím trying to deescalate and someone is still closing in on me and I can no longer retreat, I would seriously consider using my firearm as well. Itís not going to be fun in court but you know what they say. ď something something judged by 12 than carried by 6Ē

LP1
    Expert

User Info Menu

In no particular order... Not sure why it matters whether or not the deceased had a gun - lots of damage to be done with fists. Was it mutual combat? Sounds like the shooter had some carry knowledge, since he waited for police to arrive. From various reports, I get the impression that the shooter knew that he might be walking into a threatening situation - prudent thing would be to leave (or not go there in the first place). What does this all add up to? IDK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LP1 View Post
    What does this all add up to? IDK
    Thatís why I posted this up for discussion. I think it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I donít think you have to wait until fists or bullets are flying, but you better be able to justify what you did and why when the other party has shown no aggressive behavior according to the video.
    'Til that time I will remain, 'til the sinners lay down with the saints.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast