Did you recently open carry in a store? Post your experience here.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I know that there is an ongoing thread titled "Where did you open carry?" However, with the recent rush of store chains "asking" their customers to not open carry, I thought it might be a good idea to start another thread in which people can discuss where they open carried and how it went.

To recap, Walmart, Kroger, Walgreens, CVS, Meijer, and Aldi have all asked their patrons to refrain from the open carrying of firearms. In Indiana open carry is an accepted practice if you have obtained your LTCH. I am not talking about throwing a rifle over your shoulder and strolling into these stores. I am talking about your EDC. I am now starting to read news reports that gun owners who prefer to open carry are planning to carry as normal and leave it up to store managers. I am also starting to read that store managers may not even enforce the new policy unless they feel threatened, i.e. tactical vest and shouldered rifle.

In some ways I feel like we have traveled back in time 10 years. Open carry was legal but we were uncertain of how retail stores and the general public might react to us doing it. Here in Indiana going forward, I can see gun owners continuing to open carry as normal and store managers choosing to not enforce the new policy especially if you live out in Winchester vs. Fishers. I can also see Moms Demand Action encouraging their members to make complaints to either store managers or the police should they see someone practicing open carry. MDA's goal is to restrict ALL forms of carry so they will have their members hold these stores accountable.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/4...art-request-not-to-open-carry-guns-into-store

https://time.com/5670809/walmart-kroger-cvs-open-carry-gun-ban/

So, who has open carried since the policies went into effect and how did it go?

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Aldi changed their policy as well.

[FONT=&quot]At ALDI, the safety of our employees, customers and the community is our highest priority. Alongside many other businesses, we are asking that our customers refrain from openly displaying firearms in any of our stores, except for authorized law enforcement personnel.[/FONT]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I carried openly in a Rickers in Indy and then City Barbecue in Whitestown a little over a week ago and no one noticed, but that was before all of the current nonsense was underway.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Kroger. Brownsburg. Eneventful.

There policy probably means they can now kick you out if you OC, not that they will do that to every customer.

In small towns I bet most store managers won't enforce their new policy unless you're being a dick and/or walk in with a long gun.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Went in Meijer's at 36 and Raceway about 1600. G26 IWB OC just as I've done twice a week for the last month. As usual no one noticed.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I open carried at Deam Lake DNR property for four days. But preemption laws and all that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder if 911 calls will increase now that OC is "illegal":rolleyes: in so many places now?

While that does sound funny, how long before the anti-gun zealots start promoting calling in OC sightings to the anti-gun retailers to make sure they comply?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wonder if 911 calls will increase now that OC is "illegal":rolleyes: in so many places now?

While that does sound funny, how long before the anti-gun zealots start promoting calling in OC sightings to the anti-gun retailers to make sure they comply?

Some groups were openly advocating "SWATting" people who open carried long before the current dilemma.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Remember how empowered the anti-smoking Nazis were once things turned in their favor? We can now welcome ourselves to the club. Be prepared for public humiliation at the hands of a bunch of idiots who don’t know Jack **** about the US Constitution, 2A rights, or Indiana Code. Feels good, huh?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom