Does an Indiana school owned property map exist?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I work in a building in the downtown area that was a school years ago. It is no longer a school, but I want to be double sure that it is not still somehow a "school" property. Does anyone know how I can find out? Does an online map exist of school properties for Indiana and/or Indianapolis?

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    This. Pretty sure that by the way the law is written, if the school owns it and leases it out to somebody else it is still technically "school property."

Understood... which was the nature of my question. Thanks to the OP for the link. I THINK it seems to answer my question. An LLC is listed as the owner. Nowhere in the name is anything that looks like it would be a school - as well as the previous owners listed in the paperwork. I will carry on.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    This. Pretty sure that by the way the law is written, if the school owns it and leases it out to somebody else it is still technically "school property."

Because of the structure of tax funding of schools (teaching funds vs. building funds) often times the actual building/real estate is owned by a separate building corporation and then leased to the actual school. So many school systems do not actually directly own their buildings but lease them from a (related) building corporation. If the building is being leased to a school it is likely a school for carry purposes. Consult a lawyer before carrying in a building that looks and smells(*) like a school.

(*) either sweaty, unwashed pre-teen kids or the smell of Axe purchased in Costco size quantities.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Because of the structure of tax funding of schools (teaching funds vs. building funds) often times the actual building/real estate is owned by a separate building corporation and then leased to the actual school. So many school systems do not actually directly own their buildings but lease them from a (related) building corporation. If the building is being leased to a school it is likely a school for carry purposes. Consult a lawyer before carrying in a building that looks and smells(*) like a school.

(*) either sweaty, unwashed pre-teen kids or the smell of Axe purchased in Costco size quantities.

Yeah... no worries there. It's definitely not used for a school or by a school now. Was just concerned that it could still be considered school property because it WAS a school decades ago.

Top Bottom