Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

Does an Indiana school owned property map exist?

I work in a building in the downtown area that was a school years ago. It is no longer a school, but I want to be double sure that it is not still somehow a "school" property. Does anyone know how I can find out? Does an online map exist of school properties for Indiana and/or Indianapolis?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stschil View Post
    Do Not Underestimate the Power of the Just.

User Info Menu

Look at the various GIS sites, and see who the property owner is.

Marion County:
    MapIndy
    Ryan "ElDirector"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Look at the various GIS sites, and see who the property owner is.

Marion County:
    MapIndy
    This. Pretty sure that by the way the law is written, if the school owns it and leases it out to somebody else it is still technically "school property."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    This. Pretty sure that by the way the law is written, if the school owns it and leases it out to somebody else it is still technically "school property."
    Understood... which was the nature of my question. Thanks to the OP for the link. I THINK it seems to answer my question. An LLC is listed as the owner. Nowhere in the name is anything that looks like it would be a school - as well as the previous owners listed in the paperwork. I will carry on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Because of the structure of tax funding of schools (teaching funds vs. building funds) often times the actual building/real estate is owned by a separate building corporation and then leased to the actual school. So many school systems do not actually directly own their buildings but lease them from a (related) building corporation. If the building is being leased to a school it is likely a school for carry purposes. Consult a lawyer before carrying in a building that looks and smells(*) like a school.

(*) either sweaty, unwashed pre-teen kids or the smell of Axe purchased in Costco size quantities.
    When seconds matter the 2nd Amendment matters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KittySlayer View Post
    Because of the structure of tax funding of schools (teaching funds vs. building funds) often times the actual building/real estate is owned by a separate building corporation and then leased to the actual school. So many school systems do not actually directly own their buildings but lease them from a (related) building corporation. If the building is being leased to a school it is likely a school for carry purposes. Consult a lawyer before carrying in a building that looks and smells(*) like a school.

(*) either sweaty, unwashed pre-teen kids or the smell of Axe purchased in Costco size quantities.
    Yeah... no worries there. It's definitely not used for a school or by a school now. Was just concerned that it could still be considered school property because it WAS a school decades ago.