• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2019
    Allen County
    I had a question about open carry on my own property, in the state of Indiana am I permitted to openly carry my sidearm on my own property including my garage sidewalk and yard? Will I need a license to carry a firearm? Am I only allowed to carry inside my abode or garage? I’m trying to be as specific as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Carry as you like on your own property. Friends and guests that you give permission to may also carry as they wish in your property. No LTCH needed

jlane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2019
    Allen County
    Carry as you like on your own property. Friends and guests that you give permission to may also carry as they wish in your property. No LTCH needed

Thank you for the info, The only reason I posted it was I had an incident where somebody’s dog had ran up on me as I was in my garage working Unfortunately the dog was quite vicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    With in your cartilage no license is necessary concealed or openly carrying is totally legal.

cur·ti·lage

• an area of land attached to a house and forming one enclosure with it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I posted the IC because it is more complete than my prior post., not to back up my incomplete info, sorry.

That is what I should have done in the first place,

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    [FONT=&quot]As far as the dog goes, pepper spray might be a viable alternative with fewer headaches. [/FONT]

I have pepper sprayed a couple of dogs this summer walking. The results were not that impressive. If the dog was truly vicious I would not count on it working and would not waste the time.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Absolutely. You can carry anywhere on your private property that you wish, no LTCH required. This also applies to your fixed place of business. As a word of caution, if you don't have an LTCH, you can't step off your property or fixed place of business whilst carrying the firearm. For example, if you were mowing your grass, and you stepped onto the sidewalk or into the steet, you'd be in violation. You never know when your anti-gun neighbor will decide to be petty and call the police.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Absolutely. You can carry anywhere on your private property that you wish, no LTCH required. This also applies to your fixed place of business. As a word of caution, if you don't have an LTCH, you can't step off your property or fixed place of business whilst carrying the firearm. For example, if you were mowing your grass, and you stepped onto the sidewalk or into the steet, you'd be in violation. You never know when your anti-gun neighbor will decide to be petty and call the police.

Decades ago there was a jerk of a Deputy that covered where my dad was in charge of overnight security at a salvage yard. Dad employed retired guys to babysit the lot overnight. They were armed.

Apparently rumor got started that Dad was employing unlicensed individuals. So one deputy loved to stop by to say hi in the wee hours. Several times he pulled up out front without entering the parking lot. Our guy would come out to make sure everything was OK. If he didnt recognize our guy from a prior interaction, he would ask our guy to step outside the gate to chat. And of course once our guy was at the edge of the road by his cruiser, the officer would then ask to see his ID and LTCH since they were both now on the public RoW and off private property. There was absolutely no reason for the Deputy to not pull into the lot and up to the gate where they would both be on private property. (he never busted any of our guys because they all had their LTCH)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If I am not driving I will not show any ID, I will give my Name, Address and date of birth.

Sorry.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Decades ago there was a jerk of a Deputy that covered where my dad was in charge of overnight security at a salvage yard. Dad employed retired guys to babysit the lot overnight. They were armed.

Apparently rumor got started that Dad was employing unlicensed individuals. So one deputy loved to stop by to say hi in the wee hours. Several times he pulled up out front without entering the parking lot. Our guy would come out to make sure everything was OK. If he didnt recognize our guy from a prior interaction, he would ask our guy to step outside the gate to chat. And of course once our guy was at the edge of the road by his cruiser, the officer would then ask to see his ID and LTCH since they were both now on the public RoW and off private property. There was absolutely no reason for the Deputy to not pull into the lot and up to the gate where they would both be on private property. (he never busted any of our guys because they all had their LTCH)

I don't doubt this at all. Law enfocement doesn't always have the highest opinion of private security; however, you'd think it'd be different with retirees babysitting a lot (versus wannabes in a fake police uniform). Those guards wouldn't need an LTCH since they were working at a fixed place of business. If an arrest was made, I'd love to see how a jury would handle it (given the case even made it through prosecutorial screenng). If the LEO gave the guard a verbal command to approach, I'd question the guard's criminal intent.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico

Asking because I don’t know.

So, if you lived in the city and had a sidewalk in your front yard with grass between that and the street, stepping on the sidewalk which is surrounded by YOUR property would be illegal, without a LTCH?

Are you supposed to push the mower over it and then JUMP across the sidewalk? How about if you went around the sidewalk on your driveway, if the dsidewalk stopped and started at your driveway?

i could see the street, but that seem ludicrous really.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Asking because I don’t know.

So, if you lived in the city and had a sidewalk in your front yard with grass between that and the street, stepping on the sidewalk which is surrounded by YOUR property would be illegal, without a LTCH?

Are you supposed to push the mower over it and then JUMP across the sidewalk? How about if you went around the sidewalk on your driveway, if the dsidewalk stopped and started at your driveway?

i could see the street, but that seem ludicrous really.

You can't just jump across the sidewalk, because the city owns the airspace above the sidewalk all the way to the upper atmosphere. This is, in effect, a giant force field that prevents you from crossing without being immediately arrested. Tough cookies.

Top Bottom