Could your self-defense trainer hurt you legally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Let's say that you've been involved in a self-defense situation. A person, or two, happens to die as a result.

You stand a very real chance of being raked over the coals from a criminal investigation standpoint...

And then the very real chance of being bent over a barrel from a civil standpoint...

Could your self defense trainer's social media posts/footprint help you or in a court of law? Civil court?

Note: As of this very instant, I do not know the status of Indiana's legislation/pending legislation that prohibits civil lawsuits should there be no criminal lawsuit.

So - pretend you are being prosecuted because reasons. And, therefore, pretend that you're also being sued by the estate, or estates of the deceased.

During myriad investigations and depositions, it comes to light that you've had more than one self defense course. Those companies / persons are so named. Those companies' social media footprints are then combed over.

Would anything in that social media foot print hurt you... Or would it help you?

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Yes and Yes. Agreed. I don't think it would matter that much in a criminal court, however, a plaintiff's attorney in a civil court environment will make all of the hay he or she can, facts be damned.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Could your self defense trainer's social media posts/footprint help you or in a court of law? Civil court?

Help? Probably not. Hurt, potentially.

The only way they are going to screw you criminally is if they teach you bad information that you then act upon. If taking legal advice or courtroom survival type stuff "how do you know what you know" should be your first question.

Civil, it's a reach but it's possible if it goes along with the rest of the narrative they are trying to create. They will ask for training records. I've been asked to (voluntarily) provide notes for a class where another student was involved in a use of force and subsequently sued. In that instance it was to help the student and was asked by his own defense team.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The Indiana Code provides a lot of civil immunity for self-defense situations. The situation got even better this year. HEA 1284:

Provides immunity for a justified use of force in certain instances. Requires a court to award, in certain instances, reasonable attorney's fees and costs to a defendant when the justified use of force immunity is successfully raised.

You can read the bill in its entirety here: https://legiscan.com/IN/text/HB1284/id/1998920

This all goes out the door, of course, if you're prosecuted. A competent civil litigator will look at anything and everything to prove the plaintiff's case. I would be careful about who you allow to train you. Do some research. Look at their social media posts. If you're in Indiana, look them up on http://my case.in.gov - don't just look for criminal matters. Definitely look for civil issues. If the plaintiff's attorney can paint you or your trainer as a violent or unstabe person, a jury may well believe him.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IMO

Help
    - training conducted by competent professional instructors
    - instructors that have displayed experience in the field of instruction SA/mindset, Defensive tactics, weapons skills
    - content of instruction for example precursors of violence vs bayonet training

Hurt
    - trainers that appear “blood thirsty” or “over the top” as viewed by a reasonable person
    - instructors with sketchy backgrounds, no demonstrable experience, false/inflated credentials, audio/video of them stating questionable things
    - training that is of dubious value in a defensive shooting when viewed by a reasonable person
    - anyone with a hot chick shooting on a YouTube channel

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK I read the thread title and thought an instructor could inflict serious injury on you in class with no liability. The guy in Cali shot a student recently (ops check on the trigger while violating Rules 1 and 2) and all. Never mind...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    OK I read the thread title and thought an instructor could inflict serious injury on you in class with no liability. The guy in Cali shot a student recently (ops check on the trigger while violating Rules 1 and 2) and all. Never mind...

That is where I went first as well.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Disclaimer- anything's possible.

Reality- chances are whatever is on the trainer's social media will never be admissible in court (unless it's actually about you) even if a plaintiff's attorney waves it around for some reason.

Scouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Orlando
    Teaching a person to shoot a handgun, in effect, teaching a physical skill. Is all about safety, carrying safely, drawing and firing at inanimate objects, normally cardboard silhouettes. An Instructor does not, and never should, teach when to shoot in self defense!
    I have what we call in the industry, self defense Insurance from USCCA. They have a competent Lawyer on call. It is up to you to be careful on your statements to the Police, just after a traumatic event, such as a defensive shooting.

Myself, I would be consearned about competent medical help, as I have a heart condition, requiring two stents to be fitted in 2012.

I tested that theory after a person, with no lights on, hit me almost head on on the 26th of Dec. 2015. The responding paramedics said "Hospital" no choice on my part, my blood pressure was through the roof!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    If it's actually training (how to safely operate a given firearm and related stuff) probably not.

If it's a wanna be YouTube gun commando teaching deploying out of vehicles engaging targets at 2-300 yards away and whatever else then jumping back into a serviceable vehicle to get off the X when you could have done that on the first place.. (and not sure who goes to the store in full kit with plate carrier but maybe I'm missing something). Probably not a good thing to have that model as why you used deadly force

The fantasy camp stuff is really not something that I'd want a jury or prosecution to see if the shoot was that iffy it warranted charges.

But like one of my Captains told us. Do whatever you want but make sure your career and checkbook can handle it.

To each their own

Last edited:
    Top Bottom