• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Looking to arm my 17 and 19 year old daughters with Pepper Spray. Brand Recommendations? Configuration Recommendations? (type of can, etc) and any other advice welcome.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Looking to arm my 17 and 19 year old daughters with Pepper Spray. Brand Recommendations? Configuration Recommendations? (type of can, etc) and any other advice welcome.

Well no pepper spray recommendations, other than my opinion it is a poor self defense tool. Have you equipped them with the knowledge to stay as safe as possible? I would look at a book titled Sheep No More. Lots of good info.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Pepper spray is a nice option. It falls somewhere between A) STRONG LANGUAGE and B) a MAGAZINE DUMP, as it relates to dealing with a potential threat.

Pepper spray can be a great tool to have, if you know how to use it properly. Look up John Murphy https://www.fpftraining.com/. He provides some really good training on the use of pepper spray. He stops by Indiana periodically to train folks on a myriad of topics.

John recommends, and I carry, Sabre Red. He particularly favors the style of activator seen on https://www.redhotpepperspray.com/c...ay/products/sabre-red-mk-6-h2o-0-69-oz-stream. You can buy an inert can in the same style for training purposes.

This type of activator is covered by a spring loaded safety, that you can use to audibly warn an aggressor that you've got a little something up your sleeve (kinda sounds like a rattle snake if you repeatedly flip the safety just right). You normally want to learn to deploy it with your offhand, so that you can transition quickly to your firearm if the need arises.

I wouldn't want to rely on pepper spray for life/death/assault situations, but it can really slow down someone who doesn't back off when you clearly tell them to do so (repeatedly and loudly).

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Pepper spray is a nice option. It falls somewhere between A) STRONG LANGUAGE and B) a MAGAZINE DUMP, as it relates to dealing with a potential threat.

Pepper spray can be a great tool to have, if you know how to use it properly. Look up John Murphy https://www.fpftraining.com/. He provides some really good training on the use of pepper spray. He stops by Indiana periodically to train folks on a myriad of topics.

John recommends, and I carry, Sabre Red. He particularly favors the style of activator seen on https://www.redhotpepperspray.com/c...ay/products/sabre-red-mk-6-h2o-0-69-oz-stream. You can buy an inert can in the same style for training purposes.

This type of activator is covered by a spring loaded safety, that you can use to audibly warn an aggressor that you've got a little something up your sleeve (kinda sounds like a rattle snake if you repeatedly flip the safety just right). You normally want to learn to deploy it with your offhand, so that you can transition quickly to your firearm if the need arises.

I wouldn't want to rely on pepper spray for life/death/assault situations, but it can really slow down someone who doesn't back off when you clearly tell them to do so (repeatedly and loudly).

Nice web site. Very informative.

Guess I need to buy a couple and see how they might work for a female, "drawing" from a purse or backpack.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    OC certainly has its place in self defense. I carry an ASP brand personal sized expandable baton when I'm in a soft uniform or off-duty. It's good to have options, as long as you know how to use them and their limitations (every tool has them). As long as your kids know what OC is capable of and its limitations, carry on. We just switched from an OC/CS mix to 100% OC. We started buying Sabre Defense OC. It's 100% food grade ingredients but it is HOT. It really works based on our Recruit's reactions when they get a face full. I would not hesitate giving that to someone I loved. They make personal protection sized bottles. Buy a couple and have your kids practice spraying a target. That will allow them to smell it in the air so they know what to expect if they have to use it. It cracks me up that people would "poo poo" carrying an intermediate weapon. Then again, there are those that think carrying a gun protects them from the 99% of confrontations that would be inappropriate to use a firearm in.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wonder how long it will be before someone offers cell phones with pepper spray or taser attachments.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I have always bought Fox Labs pepper spray...haven’t had to use it so just hope it’s acceptable. Used to get the cone pattern, but was convinced to go with a stream pattern due to the higher likelihood of the fine cone mist blowing back onto myself if used. Stream seems to be the safer option - would suck to manage to only incapacitate yourself in a situation like that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    OC certainly has its place in self defense. I carry an ASP brand personal sized expandable baton when I'm in a soft uniform or off-duty. It's good to have options, as long as you know how to use them and their limitations (every tool has them). As long as your kids know what OC is capable of and its limitations, carry on. We just switched from an OC/CS mix to 100% OC. We started buying Sabre Defense OC. It's 100% food grade ingredients but it is HOT. It really works based on our Recruit's reactions when they get a face full. I would not hesitate giving that to someone I loved. They make personal protection sized bottles. Buy a couple and have your kids practice spraying a target. That will allow them to smell it in the air so they know what to expect if they have to use it. It cracks me up that people would "poo poo" carrying an intermediate weapon. Then again, there are those that think carrying a gun protects them from the 99% of confrontations that would be inappropriate to use a firearm in.

I don't carry or stash OC because I am confident that it would affect me more than the person who needed spraying if even a little got in my eyes or mucous membrane. I think it's a good additional option for people who are not overly sensitive to its active ingredient.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Your daughters should get some training to use the pepper spray and to evade. They could be maimed or killed, waiting for the pepper spray to work. Even when the spray is working well, an attacker won't be immobilized, just blinded. If the attacker has hands on your daughter, even if blinded they could take out their aggression on them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Your daughters should get some training to use the pepper spray and to evade. They could be maimed or killed, waiting for the pepper spray to work. Even when the spray is working well, an attacker won't be immobilized, just blinded. If the attacker has hands on your daughter, even if blinded they could take out their aggression on them.

Murph ROCKS!

Ditto to both. Get the trainer and teach them how to use it. SHOW them how it works firsthand. Let them see where the stream goes (and doesnt go) Put on safety goggles and let them spray you as an attacker.

Big two takeaways:
    1: pepper spray is best used to PREVENT the attack. By the time the attacker is determined to strike, its too late. If they are REALLY intent on harming them, a little dose of Vitamin P will just **** them off.
    2: When they DO have to spray the assailant, GET OFF THE X! Make sure after dosing the attacker they know to MOVE. Dont just stand there and be where they were when they pushed the button. Because if the bad guy tries to fight through the pain, he is going to go where he last saw her and grasp semi-blindly. But if she isnt there anymore, she has the advantage.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't carry or stash OC because I am confident that it would affect me more than the person who needed spraying if even a little got in my eyes or mucous membrane. I think it's a good additional option for people who are not overly sensitive to its active ingredient.

On that topic, Gel based sprays are less likely to affect the dispensor and surrounding persons. (just a thought)

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I am a former OC instructor and I like Fox Labs Mean Green and their Five Point Three and a product called Mugger Fogger. The combined OC and CS (Freeze Plus P) works on people immune to the effects of OC. I was certified under Sheriff Ken Campbell and used his 10 bucket system decon plus the baby shampoo mixed with a small amount of sugar. Sudecon makes wipes that help but nothing feels quite as good of those buckets, baby shampoo mixture and running hose at the end. This being said, the above mentioned off-hand dispensing and getting off the X (same as using a firearm).

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Well no pepper spray recommendations, other than my opinion it is a poor self defense tool. Have you equipped them with the knowledge to stay as safe as possible? I would look at a book titled Sheep No More. Lots of good info.

I take it you've never been hit in the face with Fox Five Point Three pepper spray. :):

That would be my recommendation.

https://shop.foxlabs.com/collections/five-point-three

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    A good point I make about pepper spray is this: it can be lawfully used in more situations than a gun. There are many self-defense situations one might encounter where a gun's use would not be appropriate. While it takes training to effectively use it, it requires far less than a firearm.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I take it you've never been hit in the face with Fox Five Point Three pepper spray. :):

That would be my recommendation.

https://shop.foxlabs.com/collections/five-point-three

Sticking with original position pepper spray is a poor self defense tool. Far more important is having training, and situational awareness far outweigh the benefit of pepper spray. How does that rule go? The Number one Rule to winning a gun fight is not to be in one.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Sticking with original position pepper spray is a poor self defense tool. Far more important is having training, and situational awareness far outweigh the benefit of pepper spray. How does that rule go? The Number one Rule to winning a gun fight is not to be in one.

And "Be Prepared" is the Boy Scout motto. What's your point? Can one not have situational awareness, training and more than one type of defensive tool?

I spent many years relying on situational awareness, training and less than lethal tools. This included pepper spray, and let me tell you, if I had to choose between using a baton, pepper spray and a Taser, in most situations I'd take pepper spray. I never had anyone that was unaffected by Fox 5.3, and I had occasion to use it quite a few times. It's hardly a "poor self defense tool."

Please tell us about your experience using pepper spray in real-world situations that has led you to the conclusion that it is a poor self-defense tool.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And "Be Prepared" is the Boy Scout motto. What's your point? Can one not have situational awareness, training and more than one type of defensive tool?

I spent many years relying on situational awareness, training and less than lethal tools. This included pepper spray, and let me tell you, if I had to choose between using a baton, pepper spray and a Taser, in most situations I'd take pepper spray. I never had anyone that was unaffected by Fox 5.3, and I had occasion to use it quite a few times. It's hardly a "poor self defense tool."

Please tell us about your experience using pepper spray in real-world situations that has led you to the conclusion that it is a poor self-defense tool.

I have no idea what different credentials people have around here. OC is a very effective tool; anyone who's been sprayed or used it can attest to that. Perfect? Definitely not. Neither is a gun. OC is much better than a Taser. Tasers aren't that great unless you also have handcuffs. Partners who also have handcuffs are big help, too.

I haven't carried Fox since the early-2000s. That was some bada** sh**. I think the type I had was OC/CS, but I could be wrong. I think we had to stop using it becuase of liability - apparently, it could melt plastic.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have no idea what different credentials people have around here. OC is a very effective tool; anyone who's been sprayed or used it can attest to that. Perfect? Definitely not. Neither is a gun. OC is much better than a Taser. Tasers aren't that great unless you also have handcuffs. Partners who also have handcuffs are big help, too.

I haven't carried Fox since the early-2000s. That was some bada** sh**. I think the type I had was OC/CS, but I could be wrong. I think we had to stop using it becuase of liability - apparently, it could melt plastic.
    It was Fox's carrier that was the issue. It was straight OC but the liquid carrier was essentially brake cleaner. That is why it melted plastic and was really hard on the eyes they were sprayed into.

Top Bottom