Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Yet another Pepper Spray Thread.

Looking to arm my 17 and 19 year old daughters with Pepper Spray. Brand Recommendations? Configuration Recommendations? (type of can, etc) and any other advice welcome.

wcd
    Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mergatroid View Post
    Looking to arm my 17 and 19 year old daughters with Pepper Spray. Brand Recommendations? Configuration Recommendations? (type of can, etc) and any other advice welcome.

Well no pepper spray recommendations, other than my opinion it is a poor self defense tool. Have you equipped them with the knowledge to stay as safe as possible? I would look at a book titled Sheep No More. Lots of good info.

User Info Menu

Pepper spray is a nice option. It falls somewhere between A) STRONG LANGUAGE and B) a MAGAZINE DUMP, as it relates to dealing with a potential threat.

Pepper spray can be a great tool to have, if you know how to use it properly. Look up John Murphy https://www.fpftraining.com/. He provides some really good training on the use of pepper spray. He stops by Indiana periodically to train folks on a myriad of topics.

John recommends, and I carry, Sabre Red. He particularly favors the style of activator seen on https://www.redhotpepperspray.com/co...0-69-oz-stream. You can buy an inert can in the same style for training purposes.

This type of activator is covered by a spring loaded safety, that you can use to audibly warn an aggressor that you've got a little something up your sleeve (kinda sounds like a rattle snake if you repeatedly flip the safety just right). You normally want to learn to deploy it with your offhand, so that you can transition quickly to your firearm if the need arises.

I wouldn't want to rely on pepper spray for life/death/assault situations, but it can really slow down someone who doesn't back off when you clearly tell them to do so (repeatedly and loudly).
    The most deadly thing on a battlefield is one well-aimed shot. Sgt. Carlos Hathcock

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hammerd13 View Post
    Pepper spray is a nice option. It falls somewhere between A) STRONG LANGUAGE and B) a MAGAZINE DUMP, as it relates to dealing with a potential threat.

Pepper spray can be a great tool to have, if you know how to use it properly. Look up John Murphy https://www.fpftraining.com/. He provides some really good training on the use of pepper spray. He stops by Indiana periodically to train folks on a myriad of topics.

John recommends, and I carry, Sabre Red. He particularly favors the style of activator seen on https://www.redhotpepperspray.com/co...0-69-oz-stream. You can buy an inert can in the same style for training purposes.

This type of activator is covered by a spring loaded safety, that you can use to audibly warn an aggressor that you've got a little something up your sleeve (kinda sounds like a rattle snake if you repeatedly flip the safety just right). You normally want to learn to deploy it with your offhand, so that you can transition quickly to your firearm if the need arises.

I wouldn't want to rely on pepper spray for life/death/assault situations, but it can really slow down someone who doesn't back off when you clearly tell them to do so (repeatedly and loudly).
    Nice web site. Very informative.

Guess I need to buy a couple and see how they might work for a female, "drawing" from a purse or backpack.

User Info Menu

OC certainly has its place in self defense. I carry an ASP brand personal sized expandable baton when I'm in a soft uniform or off-duty. It's good to have options, as long as you know how to use them and their limitations (every tool has them). As long as your kids know what OC is capable of and its limitations, carry on. We just switched from an OC/CS mix to 100% OC. We started buying Sabre Defense OC. It's 100% food grade ingredients but it is HOT. It really works based on our Recruit's reactions when they get a face full. I would not hesitate giving that to someone I loved. They make personal protection sized bottles. Buy a couple and have your kids practice spraying a target. That will allow them to smell it in the air so they know what to expect if they have to use it. It cracks me up that people would "poo poo" carrying an intermediate weapon. Then again, there are those that think carrying a gun protects them from the 99% of confrontations that would be inappropriate to use a firearm in.
    On the other side of fear lies freedom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mergatroid View Post
    ...17 and 19 year old daughters...
    Quote Originally Posted by wcd View Post
    ...knowledge to stay as safe as possible?
    Put down the cell phone!

I rarely see a teenager without a cell phone in their hand and their mind and eyes deeply focused on the little screen. Good luck prying the phones out of their hands, but the pepper spray is only a tool.
    When seconds matter the 2nd Amendment matters.

User Info Menu

Wonder how long it will be before someone offers cell phones with pepper spray or taser attachments.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have always bought Fox Labs pepper spray...havent had to use it so just hope its acceptable. Used to get the cone pattern, but was convinced to go with a stream pattern due to the higher likelihood of the fine cone mist blowing back onto myself if used. Stream seems to be the safer option - would suck to manage to only incapacitate yourself in a situation like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
    OC certainly has its place in self defense. I carry an ASP brand personal sized expandable baton when I'm in a soft uniform or off-duty. It's good to have options, as long as you know how to use them and their limitations (every tool has them). As long as your kids know what OC is capable of and its limitations, carry on. We just switched from an OC/CS mix to 100% OC. We started buying Sabre Defense OC. It's 100% food grade ingredients but it is HOT. It really works based on our Recruit's reactions when they get a face full. I would not hesitate giving that to someone I loved. They make personal protection sized bottles. Buy a couple and have your kids practice spraying a target. That will allow them to smell it in the air so they know what to expect if they have to use it. It cracks me up that people would "poo poo" carrying an intermediate weapon. Then again, there are those that think carrying a gun protects them from the 99% of confrontations that would be inappropriate to use a firearm in.
    I don't carry or stash OC because I am confident that it would affect me more than the person who needed spraying if even a little got in my eyes or mucous membrane. I think it's a good additional option for people who are not overly sensitive to its active ingredient.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Your daughters should get some training to use the pepper spray and to evade. They could be maimed or killed, waiting for the pepper spray to work. Even when the spray is working well, an attacker won't be immobilized, just blinded. If the attacker has hands on your daughter, even if blinded they could take out their aggression on them.

-----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Im on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast