• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Just putting this out there for info purposes. My son recently took a trip to Canadian side of Niagra Falls. While chatting on the phone with him during the drive, I commented it's a good thing you left you pistol home. Silence as he remembered that it was in car. Knowing that entry into Canada would not be good he was thinking for solutions. Mind you he was at that time in the great state of New York and we all know their feelings on concealed carry for regular citizens. Luckily it was way upstate in rural new york and they dont necessarily thing like the people in NYC. He called a small town police department near where he was and they stated that he could turn it in and then pick up on his return. I was very leery of this solution but he had already talked to them. He took to the station and they had a form taking his weapon and allowed him on his way. I thought NO way would they ever give it back. He then proceeded into Canada and at the border they asked if he had any weapons to declare. He stated no and that he had turned it in to the police in NY. They knew about it already!! Canadian officials stated that he could have declared it at border and they would have held. I wasnt aware of that. Anyway to make story short, he returned to the NY police department and they returned his weapon and he is happily on his way home.

Lesson learned by all and glad it worked out better than I was anticipating.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Is New York a state where you have to put your gun in your trunk before entering until you get to your hotel room? Don't see a problem with it. I kept on in my room in South Carolina in my Gunvault, cabled to the bed frame, in case staff wanted to clean it.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This situation is intriguing. I’ve wanted to do a driving trip to Canada for quite some time, but I don’t want to be without my gun Willie in the US. I did some research, and I’ve yet to find anything that definitively states that the Canucks will store a pistol for you. This website says that there are often facilities nearby border crossing where one can store a firearm.

https://www.thoughtco.com/laws-for-taking-guns-into-canada-3321846

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Always important to research, think, and understand what you can and can't do regarding firearms in various states...I've had to do it several times while traveling cross-country, just to make sure I'm within the legal boundaries of each state I pass through.
    Just glad to hear that he got his firearm back... especially in New York State.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I find it bizarre that NY contacted Canada to inform them of an unarmed law abiding citizen approaching their border. I am wondering how the laws and civil rights and 2a attorneys view that

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Always important to research, think, and understand what you can and can't do regarding firearms in various states...I've had to do it several times while traveling cross-country, just to make sure I'm within the legal boundaries of each state I pass through.
    Just glad to hear that he got his firearm back... especially in New York State.

I make a habit of calling the state police agency of places where I want clarification. Surprisingly, I had a nice conversation with the Illinois State Police. The trooper with whom I spoke gave me an overview on the laws and some scenarios that affect the laws.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I find it bizarre that NY contacted Canada to inform them of an unarmed law abiding citizen approaching their border. I am wondering how the laws and civil rights and 2a attorneys view that

I make a habit of calling the state police agency of places where I want clarification. Surprisingly, I had a nice conversation with the Illinois State Police. The trooper with whom I spoke gave me an overview on the laws and some scenarios that affect the laws.

So much easier to explain that to go through the headache of detain!
    And better to educate than spend the $$ to incarcerate!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Is New York a state where you have to put your gun in your trunk before entering until you get to your hotel room? Don't see a problem with it. I kept on in my room in South Carolina in my Gunvault, cabled to the bed frame, in case staff wanted to clean it.
    I don’t let anyone else clean my guns!

Top Bottom