What Fighters KNOW, and Shooters DON’T...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The advertising is over around the one minute mark...

[video=youtube;SpL6hsZDJZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpL6hsZDJZc[/video]

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Agree !

He does a good job in explaining how fast and brutal close combat can be. The history talk was nice as well, seems like his prices are reasonable.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've always taught my family, and friends if you can't draw, fire, and hit your target in two seconds you may have a knife buried in your chest or gut.

Awareness of your surroundings is a must. Drawing your firearms from their carry position without fumbling around is also a must.

My daughter was carrying her firearm in her purse. I didn't like that. To slow to get to. I convinced her she couldn't get to it before my grandson 16yo ran at her and tapped her on her shoulder from 5 yards.
    I had her face the target and stand normally no preperation. Purse snapped shut like normal. My grandson waited 5 yards behind her. I said GO! She never got it out of her purse. She now appendix carries.

Don't forget to practice close retention shooting drills. As this guy says you never know when or how close the attack will be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    95% or higher of us walk around in a dream. Schedules/family/work/chores/sports etc are running programs in our heads constantly. No one is aware at the levels we discuss. Not all the time.
    I "Try" and keep my head on a swivel. But it is near impossible to do so constantly and. Certain areas, conditions do heighten our senses. But walking through a store or into a movie most times we are relaxed in this discipline.
    In that reacting becomes the next step. Most often you are not going to be stabbed right off but it can happen. Will you really know someone is approaching danger fast from behind.

Reacting and recovering. That is what we are looking at these days. What to do when surprised.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I enjoy John Lovell's videos. He's very smart and an excellent presenter. I hope to train with him one day.

One thing I would add to his points: I agree that tactics generally trump skills, but we should stress that the better your skill set is and the more confidence you have in executing those fundamentals on demand at a high level, the more time and mental resources you will have available to observe, assess, formulate a plan, and execute it. The type of violence of action necessary to address a high level threat can be impeded (perhaps fatally) by a brain that has to deliberately think about clearing concealment while starting to move, getting a firing grip, presenting the weapon, etc. etc. If those actions are conditioned and require minimal active guidance from your brain, the more you'll have to devote to the tactics of your response.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I enjoy John Lovell's videos. He's very smart and an excellent presenter. I hope to train with him one day.

One thing I would add to his points: I agree that tactics generally trump skills, but we should stress that the better your skill set is and the more confidence you have in executing those fundamentals on demand at a high level, the more time and mental resources you will have available to observe, assess, formulate a plan, and execute it. The type of violence of action necessary to address a high level threat can be impeded (perhaps fatally) by a brain that has to deliberately think about clearing concealment while starting to move, getting a firing grip, presenting the weapon, etc. etc. If those actions are conditioned and require minimal active guidance from your brain, the more you'll have to devote to the tactics of your response.

+10.....:thumbsup:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Also most of us are getting old and slow....

So speed and maneuverability is no longer part of the equation. You may need to draw up different tactics and skill set to fit your health and age.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    I am willing to bet that most people fail to put an emphasis on group training. Solo range trips can be productive from an accuracy perspective but how often is that skill set applied to a 1v1 or small group scenario?
    Remember the sacred word, "For we wrestle not against paper and cardboard, but against flesh, blood, and bad intentions."
    Get out and train... But take someone with you.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Agree! He does a good job in explaining how fast and brutal close combat can be. The history talk was nice as well, seems like his prices are reasonable.

Ditto this...and excellent verbal portrayal of just how quickly things can escalate or appear out of nowhere and be on you in a second, which makes it that much more important to constantly be not only aware of your surroundings and proximities...but to be alert to potential danger and recognize it early enough to begin to formulate a response, if there's time?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I am willing to bet that most people fail to put an emphasis on group training. Solo range trips can be productive from an accuracy perspective but how often is that skill set applied to a 1v1 or small group scenario?
    Remember the sacred word, "For we wrestle not against paper and cardboard, but against flesh, blood, and bad intentions."
    Get out and train... But take someone with you.

We're working on group training at our church...so at least to have an idea what each person should be doing in the event that something does occur.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We're working on group training at our church...so at least to have an idea what each person should be doing in the event that something does occur.

We're just getting our group together at church. There are about 8 of us.
    We are scheduling a conference with a state police officer that also does defensive shooting training in South Bend, I can't think of the name right off hand.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Are you incorporating any force-on-force type training? It might not be a bad idea to let people see how a simple plan goes awry once stress is introduced.

Scouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Orlando
    The last scuffle I was in? I was 69 YOA. At a IALEFI yearly seminar. Battle ground? An elevator in Daton Ohio. I was armed with a Gen 4 Glock 19. A spare G17 magazine, a Benchmade folding knife. More or less at that time my normal load out.
    A young man stepped into the elevator, just as the door was closeing, suit, tassle shoes, a cocktail glass in his hand. My wife at the buttons, me standing back, he stopped center area, faced door.

"I need a hug" he said, and lifted his left foot, in preperation to go a hugging? I stepped under his left under arm, and drove him into the wood barred rear of elevator, hard! You balance is destroyed when you are not allowed to put your foot down, instantly. I was born in Liverpool UK, into a Pub Family, stacking bottles on shelves from a very early age, you all work.
    Progressed to keeper of the peace, hence to Bouncer in Liverpool Night clubs, from 1960 to 1964 at the Cavern Club of Beatles fame, one year at the Blue Angel, on Seal Street. Lots of fights, did OK still have a straight nose.

Back to elevator... With quite a selection of weapons? I immedatly went to hands on. No hesitation what's so ever. His face was twisted in a knot, when he opened his eyes, flat against the rear wall. My finger was an inch from one of them. Advise given "Keep away from my wife, Jack" Scouse accent alive and well. We left, he seemed in no hurry to leave! My Wifes expression was classical! Big open eyes, frozen. Lots of fights, that you always start! Is good training.
    Would that thought pattern translate into gun usage? Who knows, I have pointed guns at more than one person in my lifetime. Instant compliance kept finger off the go switch.

In seeing the results of glass meeting face? More than once, bottle or glass, reves you up.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Good video OP. I think most of us agree that a high percentage of our success is determined by how much attention we pay to what's going on around us.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." as it were.
    Over the years as I have taken various courses, it has molded how I do so many things: how I walk in a parking lot, where I sit in an establishment, how I survey the scenery before approach. I have 3 young daughters, so my mind is in a place of constant vigilance. I still need much work on my physical ability (as far as FOF), but I trained my brain to take the low road. Eyes, throat, and/or groin are my first points of contact.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've always taught my family, and friends if you can't draw, fire, and hit your target in two seconds you may have a knife buried in your chest or gut.
    Two seconds is an eternity - a Formula One team can change four tires in two seconds - that includes the jack up/down time.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Two seconds is an eternity - a Formula One team can change four tires in two seconds - that includes the jack up/down time.

Put your normal clothing on. Add a jacket since it's cold out. Stand normally in front of a mirror then draw aiming at your mirror. Let me know how fast you did it in. No practice and the 1st try.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Put your normal clothing on. Add a jacket since it's cold out. Stand normally in front of a mirror then draw aiming at your mirror. Let me know how fast you did it in. No practice and the 1st try.

An attacker with a knife in hand can cover a lot of ground in two seconds.

Jackets with snaps, or ones that can be left unzipped from the waist up are ideal.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    An attacker with a knife in hand can cover a lot of ground in two seconds.

Jackets with snaps, or ones that can be left unzipped from the waist up are ideal.

I know and the main thing is to draw without problems. People do not understand getting to your weapon then drawing it has to be perfect in that situation or darn close to it. My daughter who isn't a professional shooter was able to draw and fire in 1.69 sec when she went to appendix carry. Thats just fun and practice. That's also with summer clothing on though. Put on a few layers more means more obstacles more time.

For fun put winter gloves on and or put your cell phone or something mimicking a cell phone in your hand and try lol. Depending on the glove type they might need to come off, the cell phone will have to be dropped.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I know and the main thing is to draw without problems. People do not understand getting to your weapon then drawing it has to be perfect in that situation or darn close to it. My daughter who isn't a professional shooter was able to draw and fire in 1.69 sec when she went to appendix carry. Thats just fun and practice. That's also with summer clothing on though. Put on a few layers more means more obstacles more time.

For fun put winter gloves on and or put your cell phone or something mimicking a cell phone in your hand and try lol. Depending on the glove type they might need to come off, the cell phone will have to be dropped.

At carry gun matches that coach puts on in Avon we have to be concealed and sometimes we hold a pizza box or a prop of a smart phone head down in strong hand. I find these matches very helpful.

Scouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Orlando
    The love of Cell phones! You see a table of 4 in a resteraunt, two parents, two teen kids. All looking at their phones!
    Whatever is going on around them, is not observed by any one of them.
    As I drive a lot, and now not legal to use Cell phones in hand as one drives in Florida. My Blue Ant ear piece, weighs nothing, and works a treat. The Cell phone pocket in my 511 pants, secures that phone.

Top Bottom