Police Owe No Duty To Defend Citizens...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And yet, most citizens have no idea this is the case...

• Woman calls 911 when her ex-husband (who had repeatedly attacked and threatened to kill her) breaks into her Dallas home. For 17 minutes, she screams for help on the phone. But police take nearly an hour to arrive, after making a pitstop at a convenience store. When they do show up, they knock, but there's no answer, so they leave. Her family finds her body two days later. Fifth Circuit: No constitutional violations here.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Duty owed to the public as a whole, not to an individual. The concept is something like...well, how old is the constitution now?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, this might be a good reminder to all the non-gunowners here on this gun board, but otherwise it isn't exactly news.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    At the end of the day your life is your responsibility. Part of the problem in society is sitting around waiting for everyone else to fix it, then pointing the finger when something doesn’t go right. What happened to the old saying “if you want it done right you gotta do it yourself”? Most LEO want to protect everyone they can, and I couldn’t imagine the heart break they feel when they are unable to do so. It takes a special person to do those jobs. I can not do it. They are constantly under a microscope being judged by the public, their supervisors, peers, and lawyers. There aren’t enough police to be everywhere at once. If this lady has had a problem with her ex husband in the past, she should have taken measures to prevent this. Maybe take a gun class, restraining order, dog, something.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    And yet, most citizens have no idea this is the case...

• Woman calls 911 when her ex-husband (who had repeatedly attacked and threatened to kill her) breaks into her Dallas home. For 17 minutes, she screams for help on the phone. But police take nearly an hour to arrive, after making a pitstop at a convenience store. When they do show up, they knock, but there's no answer, so they leave. Her family finds her body two days later. Fifth Circuit: No constitutional violations here.

You should do a ride-along and see what police work really entails instead of blindly believing everything you read about. But you are probably one of the many that likes to post crap like that and are too scared to take a tour through the ghetto with an officer.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    At the end of the day your life is your responsibility. Part of the problem in society is sitting around waiting for everyone else to fix it, then pointing the finger when something doesn’t go right. What happened to the old saying “if you want it done right you gotta do it yourself”? Most LEO want to protect everyone they can, and I couldn’t imagine the heart break they feel when they are unable to do so. It takes a special person to do those jobs. I can not do it. They are constantly under a microscope being judged by the public, their supervisors, peers, and lawyers. There aren’t enough police to be everywhere at once. If this lady has had a problem with her ex husband in the past, she should have taken measures to prevent this. Maybe take a gun class, restraining order, dog, something.

Agreed and lets not forget most are on camera and have their every action scrutinized after the fact. Like our war fighters at times they have a split second to make a life or death decision only to be second guessed but some maroon that takes three hours to study the video of what happened.
    I can't imagine what that is like and I imagine that most here would fail the same on camera constant scrutiny test. Like any crew there will be a few bad apples but I believe that most LEOs excell at what is, for the most part a thankless job. Just my :twocents:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…Glock/ M&P Certified armorer[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Brig[/FONT]

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I read the court summary and got what I was looking for. What is the point of your post? This incident is 7 years old at this point, and this is not the first time t's been discussed here.

This case was just decided and on a roundup of cases I read, so it was current in its decision, but not occurrence or filing. The point is to inform those that do not know the law on this issue and that it continues to be held this way. I am confident that those with thousands of posts here know this, but I can guarantee that thousands of non members find topics here every month via search engines, it is how I found it. I would also add that when told of this law, a very low percentage have any idea of this type of case and the background cases.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You should do a ride-along and see what police work really entails instead of blindly believing everything you read about. But you are probably one of the many that likes to post crap like that and are too scared to take a tour through the ghetto with an officer.

You should start a tour company and call it "Hood Cruises"

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

No, no, no, this is not intended to be about police at all. It is about the need to plan to defend yourself and not count on help that may never arrive. And lastly, you will find no posts from me that are negative about police, I believe it a very tough, often thankless job and am grateful to all who serve.

The he intent here was the law and court decisions...

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    I'm glad there are those that have the courage to accept the responsibility of law enforcement. There are many officers that strive every moment of the day to uphold the integrity of their position. There are some that fall short of that. I will not however, let that change my opinion of police officers in general, and it's not fair to judge good people for what bad people do.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No, no, no, this is not intended to be about police at all. It is about the need to plan to defend yourself and not count on help that may never arrive. And lastly, you will find no posts from me that are negative about police, I believe it a very tough, often thankless job and am grateful to all who serve.

The he intent here was the law and court decisions...

Yep, Have I said recently to Frank, VUPD, BBI, and the rest of the boys (and girls) in blue here how much you are appreciated? I couldnt do it. I cant think of anyone present here that the original comment would actually apply to.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Good to have you back around here Frank.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom