• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Time for another Unofficial survey. We started using dots in the late 70’s (bulky aim points) on rifles and a few years later for Bianchi Cup Matches on our revolvers. While they have worked well in competition and have been tweaked drastically, how many INGOERs trust their life With a dot gun for EDC?

I’m not Quite ready yet but maybe someday.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have a P10S with an RMR that I’m still coming up to speed on. They show a lot of potential for aging eyes.

Glock 19C or a 45C every day for the last year. If you want to give me a call Tim we can meet at the range and maybe I can accelerate your progress:thumbsup:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm still working on getting used to carrying my M&P Compact and I find myself going to my Shield more often. Once the Shield becomes the exception rather than the rule, I'll look at red dots.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Everyday for, I’m guessing 4 years? G19’s with Trijicon RMRs, 2 1st Gen and one HRS, all adjustable dots. Makes 25yard T-box shots almost the norm.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    All my carry guns have RMR's.

John, is there downside for someone to switch to RMR's even if they haven't mastered irons? If you are older and possibly just starting out in shooting sports and your eyes aren't the greatest anymore, is it okay to focus on red dots for training, gaming, carrying, practicing?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    John, is there downside for someone to switch to RMR's even if they haven't mastered irons? If you are older and possibly just starting out in shooting sports and your eyes aren't the greatest anymore, is it okay to focus on red dots for training, gaming, carrying, practicing?

I will say a qualified...maybe. I think it wise to spend some time with a good trainer/instructor/teacher (whichever term won't "trigger" the more sensitive of us, there is a difference). Simple is better. BUT, if you have trouble with visual speed, then the rds might be the answer. I can shoot iron sights, it just takes forever for my eyes to catch up. The rds fixed that for me. Let me repeat, for me. Let's spend some time together soon and see if the rds is a viable option for you.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I will say a qualified...maybe. I think it wise to spend some time with a good trainer/instructor/teacher (whichever term won't "trigger" the more sensitive of us, there is a difference). Simple is better. BUT, if you have trouble with visual speed, then the rds might be the answer. I can shoot iron sights, it just takes forever for my eyes to catch up. The rds fixed that for me. Let me repeat, for me. Let's spend some time together soon and see if the rds is a viable option for you.
    I was going to say much of the same, I recently transitioned to old folks glasses(progressive lenses) and contacts, and my old friend the front sight isn’t what it used to be. The dot definitely helps. As far as the SRO, I’ve only played with one on my friends’ 1911. After I got over the 1911, it worked a bit better than the RMR as far as picking up the dot, but I think it’s going to be too much for concealed carry. That’s just personal opines, but even though it’s not much bigger than the RMR, thebigger is in the wrong place.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    I EDC a G19 with a Holosun 507C. For me the trijicon and the vortex viper (both the 3 and 6 MOA dot sizes ) were too small to pick up quickly, so I went with the holosun because it has a giant EoTech like retical that I can pick up quickly without having to search for it. Also, it has a small 2 MOA dot in the center for precision shots. With the other dots I tried out I had to search for the dot which took a lot of time. Installing the dot was like using a cheat code that made me a much better shot and it gives me a lot more confidence with my carry gun. Try as many dots as you can before buying one.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I used a reddot in the 80s for target. I will stick with iron sighted 1911s for personal protection. It goes where it is pointed. If it doesn't, more range time is needed.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Nope. Still sticking with Irons for the street. To me Dots are like putting training wheels back on the bike. When I am too challenged to shoot Iron Sighted handguns (which could be sooner that we all like) I will play more with the long guns. When I can't do that anymore, I will stay inside with my recliner a lap blanket, a bottle of Old 55 and watch the Western Channel.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I still haven't tried one but I keep thinking about it. I keep waiting to see if it is just a fad or something that is likely to be here to stay.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Thanks John. I will plan on that in the new year. I am struggling with feeling like I'm giving up on learning basic marksmanship with iron sights by going to RDS. I want to be able to keep it simple and stay with irons but I am older and out of the three points of a sight picture, I can only have one in focus. And that takes special glasses with a reader built in.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They offer the same advantages as a RDS on a rifle but the advantages aren’t as easily realized for everyone. I had an RMR mounted to a G22 years ago and when I first started with it I was actually a bit slower on the first shot from the holster but remaining shots were faster. A slight adjustment to my presentation corrected that and after the new technique began to take hold I was faster and more accurate all the way around. I sold that pistol once I was satisfied that I had formed an educated opinion of the option but my eyes have begun to let me down and my work environment has changed so I am once again taking up the RDS on my pistols.

I’m interested to start a new shooter out on an RDS pistol and introduce irons after the grip and trigger manipulation have been mastered. I have a theory that eliminating sight picture and sight alignment might allow someone to concentrate on fewer fundamental requirements when they’re just getting started making the learning curve a bit shorter.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom