Indiana churches set up security teams after law changes to allow guns in church

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Some one forgot to mention that church carry was legal before last year's change, except if the church was located on property that also was a school. #FactsMatter

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    https://pluralist.com/texas-church-...Qsqs1tvsrpJPPA6BSA0XMFjI2LIqpB2dzqgDwQzPYxJyk

[FONT=&quot]“This Fri we’ll bury a 16-yr-old girl gunned down across street from our church. 3 yrs ago our pastor was held at gunpoint in churchyard,” Zipple tweeted on Monday. “But we’ll not permit guns in our church. Some Christians gotta be bold & say no more killing & we trust God enough to take care of the rest.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]In another tweet, Zipple anticipated objections from people who would accuse him of being “imprudent and foolish.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And he had an answer for his critics: “I’ll say, but where are the fools for Christ? And who said the gospel was supposed to be easy?”[/FONT]

I suspect my pastor would feel this way...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Glad my church / pastor feels different. Most Sundays there are at least 10 firearms in our church
    Same. With 10 being about 5%.
    Mine is rallying the troops as we speak, not just because of the latest incident, its a process to get a more formal program going. There has always been a sheepdog mentality with some but not real well organized.
    I understand the desire to think that God will take care of it, but the locks on the door analogy is pretty good. The ones that follow that logic to fruition don't go to the doctor either.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I've assisted Coach with a church security team training in the past and I'm not surprised that interest has spiked in organization and training for churches. Like anything else training is best when it's ongoing but it sure paid dividends for those folks in Texas. That could have been a nightmare if no one was armed.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men don't train or shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” Coach[/FONT]

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Some one forgot to mention that church carry was legal before last year's change, except if the church was located on property that also was a school. #FactsMatter
    I found news articles where the law was changed last year, but can't find it in the code and it's not listed on handgunlaw.us which is my primary go to.

Not sure how I missed this last year...

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I found news articles where the law was changed last year, but can't find it in the code and it's not listed on handgunlaw.us which is my primary go to.

Not sure how I missed this last year...
    Same here. I spent a lot of time last night trying to find the code language. About all there was was a paragraph adding an exception to prosecution if you carried in a church on the same property. I didn't see anything about churches that might be physically attached to a school. It's scary to thing these little "details" will be worked out in court cases!!

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Here is the law you were looking for. II missed adding a small part that allows it in church on school property.

Sec. 1. (a) This chapter does not apply to the following:

(6) A person who:

(A) may legally possess a firearm; and

(B) possesses a firearm on school property in connection with or while:

(i) attending a worship service or religious ceremony conducted at a house of worship located on the
    school property; or

(ii) carrying out the person's official duties at a house of worship located on the school property, if the
    person is employed by or a volunteer at the house of worship.

This subdivision does not affect the right of a property owner to prohibit, in whole or in part, the possession of a firearm on a property where a school or house of worship is located. SEC.4; P.L.107-2019, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2 Possession of Firearms on School Property or a School Bus; Defense to a Prosecution;
    Possession of Firearms in a Motor Vehicle Parked in a School Parking Lot

Sec. 2. (a) A person may not be charged with an offense under this subsection if the person may be charged with an offense described in subsection (c). A person who knowingly or intentionally possesses a firearm:

(1) in or on school property; or

(2) on a school bus; commits a Level 6 felony.

(b) It is a defense to a prosecution under subsection (a) that:

(1) the person is permitted to legally possess the firearm; and

(2) the firearm is:

(A) locked in the trunk of the person's motor vehicle;

(B) kept in the glove compartment of the person's locked motor vehicle; or

(C) stored out of plain sight in the person's locked motor vehicle.

(c) A person who is permitted to legally possess a firearm and who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly leaves the firearm in plain view in a motor vehicle that is parked in a school parking lot commits a Class A misdemeanor. P.L.109-2015, SEC.54.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Here is the law you were looking for. II missed adding a small part that allows it in church on school property.

Sec. 1. (a) This chapter does not apply to the following:

(6) A person who:

(A) may legally possess a firearm; and

(B) possesses a firearm on school property in connection with or while:

(i) attending a worship service or religious ceremony conducted at a house of worship located on the
    school property; or

(ii) carrying out the person's official duties at a house of worship located on the school property, if the
    person is employed by or a volunteer at the house of worship.

This subdivision does not affect the right of a property owner to prohibit, in whole or in part, the possession of a firearm on a property where a school or house of worship is located. SEC.4; P.L.107-2019, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2 Possession of Firearms on School Property or a School Bus; Defense to a Prosecution;
    Possession of Firearms in a Motor Vehicle Parked in a School Parking Lot

Sec. 2. (a) A person may not be charged with an offense under this subsection if the person may be charged with an offense described in subsection (c). A person who knowingly or intentionally possesses a firearm:

(1) in or on school property; or

(2) on a school bus; commits a Level 6 felony.

(b) It is a defense to a prosecution under subsection (a) that:

(1) the person is permitted to legally possess the firearm; and

(2) the firearm is:

(A) locked in the trunk of the person's motor vehicle;

(B) kept in the glove compartment of the person's locked motor vehicle; or

(C) stored out of plain sight in the person's locked motor vehicle.

(c) A person who is permitted to legally possess a firearm and who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly leaves the firearm in plain view in a motor vehicle that is parked in a school parking lot commits a Class A misdemeanor. P.L.109-2015, SEC.54.
    Thanks Gary. Much appreciated! I've asked they update the Indiana page at HandgunLaw.US

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    It will be a couple more days before that shows up at www.handgunlaw.us I missed that when the law went into effect mid 2019 and then Indiana doesn't update their existing statutes they leave previous years there and list them all again for the next year with the changes. So the links to their statutes change every year. You have to change a date in them from 2018 to 2019 to see that addition in their statutes.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    It will be a couple more days before that shows up at www.handgunlaw.us I missed that when the law went into effect mid 2019 and then Indiana doesn't update their existing statutes they leave previous years there and list them all again for the next year with the changes. So the links to their statutes change every year. You have to change a date in them from 2018 to 2019 to see that addition in their statutes.
    Sounds good. I sent them an email with a link so we will see. Their info is very helpful as I travel the midwest

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak.

God helps those that help themselves.

shutterstock_100995136_350.jpg
    A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.
    Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."
    The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."
    So the rowboat went on.
    Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."
    To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."
    So the motorboat went on.
    Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."
    To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."
    So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.
    Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"
    To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I recently attended a service at a friends church that has 200ish members. I went to the bathroom mid-service and noted the following.

No one in the foyer/entry area.

Doors unlocked.

All members sitting in a dimly lit room with spotlight on pastor and video screens with sermon notes, very poor visibility.

All members had their back to the doors.

When I asked my friend, an avid hunter and gun owner about their security plan, the reply was, the pastor does not like guns, and they have no even casual plan. He believes there may be one member that carries despite the pastors wishes but that would be about it.

It is just unconscionable that these spiritual leaders are leading their flock to potential destruction...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    shutterstock_100995136_350.jpg
    A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.
    Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."
    The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."
    So the rowboat went on.
    Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."
    To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."
    So the motorboat went on.
    Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."
    To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."
    So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.
    Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"
    To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

Exactly

Top Bottom