• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    I wear bifocals and my front site is fuzzy unless i tilt my head back. I was wondering if anyone has tried changing to a bifocal in one side and a regular lens for the dominate eye.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    8MqeTR8.jpg

5lNvcJr.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I tried everything. What seems to be working for me is some top focal readers. I get the magnification to sharpen the front sight and practice lining up with it. They help me to keep my head down instead of looking up.

I purchased mine from SSP Eyewear though I having a feud with them right now due to them sending me the wrong set ( I ordered a second set) and they won't send me the correct ones. I can post when/if I get this resolved.

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    I'm hoping they would be for daily use. Just wonder how my brain will handle it if my left eye has the regular bifocal and my right eye is focused on the front sight making things at 30ft slightly out of focus.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I wear bifocals and my front site is fuzzy unless i tilt my head back. I was wondering if anyone has tried changing to a bifocal in one side and a regular lens for the dominate eye.
    No one has answered your question yet. I have not worn this set up. You can get this made for you. I assume you want the single vision lens over the dominate eye to be prescribed for the front sight distance (and the non-dominant b/f is your regular distance rx with your near add as the b/f). This is going to be like mono vision, one eye at distance and one at "near." In your case "intermediate" distance.
    The critical thing is to get the exact rx for the single vision lens and that requires that you bring the subject up with your optometrist. You also need the exact distance from your eye to the front sight to dial in the phoropter at the docs office.
    All that being said, I don't know that you will like the outcome.

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    No one has answered your question yet. I have not worn this set up. You can get this made for you. I assume you want the single vision lens over the dominate eye to be prescribed for the front sight distance (and the non-dominant b/f is your regular distance rx with your near add as the b/f). This is going to be like mono vision, one eye at distance and one at "near." In your case "intermediate" distance.
    The critical thing is to get the exact rx for the single vision lens and that requires that you bring the subject up with your optometrist. You also need the exact distance from your eye to the front sight to dial in the phoropter at the docs office.
    All that being said, I don't know that you will like the outcome.

Thanks, i have an appointment at the end of the month and was thinking about trying this out.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    There is such a thing as a plumber/electrician grind. In addition to your normal bi/tri focal grind at the bottom of the lens, there is a second at the top. Typically this will be .25/.5 diopter less than your reading lens. Plus, will be refracted at arms length or so. I wore these when I worked as an electrical tech. Worked ok for shooting. I now use RMR's on my pistols and normal progressive grind lenses.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For me it's Ameriglo Hackathorne's, until I have to go to a red dot.

Reading glasses give me a great focus on the front sight. Just can't figure how to find the time to put them on early in the gunfight?

Glock-Pistol-Mods-Part-II_Jeff-Gurwitch_DefenseReview.com-DR_C.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Top Bottom