• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    CHICAGO (CBS) — A 5-year-old boy was taken to the hospital Wednesday afternoon, after a coyote bit him several times outside a nature museum in Lincoln Park.

Police said the boy was near the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, at Fullerton and Cannon drives, when a coyote bit him “multiple times” around 4 p.m.

A Fire Department spokesman said the boy was bitten on the head.

In recent days, several coyotes have been spotted walking the streets of the North Side, from Lincoln Park to Old Town and the old Cabrini-Green area.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/0...y-lincoln-park-peggy-notebaert-nature-museum/

Sounds as if some of our Indiana coyote hunters need to shift their base of operations.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Nah. Guns is bad, remember? And Hoosiers with guns is the worst! I say let the good folks of Chicago figure it out on their own. They'll probably just elect him to something, before he starts ordering stuff from ACME.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That's nature honey, you've now experienced it fully...well almost, it could have been a bear. Go ahead, pet that other fluffy little critter over there.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    5 year old eaten by cave bear, giant bird, dire wolf, and many others.

In the recent past that would be the end of that DNA chain only your smart ancestors lived the dumb ones died.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    CHICAGO (CBS) — A 5-year-old boy was taken to the hospital Wednesday afternoon, after a coyote bit him several times outside a nature museum in Lincoln Park.

Police said the boy was near the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, at Fullerton and Cannon drives, when a coyote bit him “multiple times” around 4 p.m.

A Fire Department spokesman said the boy was bitten on the head.

In recent days, several coyotes have been spotted walking the streets of the North Side, from Lincoln Park to Old Town and the old Cabrini-Green area.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/0...y-lincoln-park-peggy-notebaert-nature-museum/

Sounds as if some of our Indiana coyote hunters need to shift their base of operations.

"The Humane Society advises that if you see a coyote, you should not run or turn your back. You should instead shout or throw something in the coyote’s direction, in what is called hazing."

But, I thought hazing was bad?

As for helping them...
    I'm hoping that state goes to hell, maybe the coyotes are helping.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Visiting my daughter and son in law last week on the Marine base in Twentynine Palms, CA, we saw a bunch of yotes around the base. Mostly after dark and in the more remote parts of the base. My daughter and her friends, most of whom own small, yappy dogs, are irate about the situation. If they call PMO and complain, they're told, it's their home too.:rolleyes:

My daughter sent me this the other day...

cjIS5qrl.jpg

This basically a courtyard/playground area surrounded by enlisted housing. Each unit has a 5 foot fence around their patio area which are mostly inhabited by small, yappy dogs. Or to a coyote, dinner.

I think it will take a kid getting bit or, even worse, a LtCol's wife losing a chihuahua before anything is done.

Coyotes prowling areas with lots of human traffic in broad daylight should be exterminated ruthlessly and without exception.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We live in very close proximity to the Motor Speedway. There is a den of Yotes that have been staying in and along the woods that have a creek running through it on the west side of the Coke field. We have seen them in our neighborhood in daylight. The run the creek. It gets them in and out of these areas they hunt. Ferrell cats are near gone (Yay) and the Hispanics are loosing chickens....(:):)

A couple of Ingo members said I was hallucinating. I said not since the very early 70's. They have both witnessed these animals while driving along 30th st.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Seems weird to have a coyote so close. I live in the country. I had a coyote problem a few years ago their were about 12-15 on my back 40. I thinned them out by taking out 11 of them. They dont seem to come around much now days. However, I'm starting to see a few within a few hundred yards now and then. If they see me they usually run. These city coyotes have lost their fear of people it seems. They need reminded even if it's a BB gun or a sling shot with a ball bearing. Not sure what is allowed in a city.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seems weird to have a coyote so close. I live in the country. I had a coyote problem a few years ago their were about 12-15 on my back 40. I thinned them out by taking out 11 of them. They dont seem to come around much now days. However, I'm starting to see a few within a few hundred yards now and then. If they see me they usually run. These city coyotes have lost their fear of people it seems. They need reminded even if it's a BB gun or a sling shot with a ball bearing. Not sure what is allowed in a city.

Its not. But a solid hit from a pellet rifle makes them yelp and scoot out.

Heard this from a friend.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Nah. Guns is bad, remember? And Hoosiers with guns is the worst! I say let the good folks of Chicago figure it out on their own. They'll probably just elect him to something, before he starts ordering stuff from ACME.

Just enact another tax to hire a private company/friend of the gov to safely and humanely relocate them for an exorbitant fee per animal. Not so many that they run out of business though.

My mom and stepdad live in a nice little subdivision on the edge of town about 60 miles west of chicago. They have a small dog and a last summer mentioned that coyotes had been seen in the neighborhood (lots of small dogs and a few larger ones but they're all teddy bears in demeanor). I mentioned that most civilized places had an easy solution: coyotes are considered pests and open season year round. She looked confused for a few seconds then aghast as she realized what I meant. Sure mom, go have the HOA assess the coyotes a fee for loitering and ask them nicely to leave and see where that gets you.

Top Bottom