• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As we all know, one of the first things we should do upon taking the mantle of carrying a sidearm for personal protection is "Get A Box".

Well, I need to add more things to the box.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a PHLster Classic https://www.phlsterholsters.com/shop/phlster-classic-holster/ or a Henry Flint: https://www.henryholsters.com/product/aiwb-iwb-holster/

Leaning towards the Henry as an IWB / AIWB rig due to cost, that he's a Hoosier (even though he's from New York), and that he's an INGOer. He also makes PHLster's holsters for them... so even if I go that route I'd still be supporting him.

For OWB I'm leaning towards a Raven Perun. Most definitely cost effective and robust - and not flipping huge on the waistband as their older holsters were / as Bravo Concealment's holsters are now.

But - I'm definitely open to other suggestions. And since I'll be buying 2-3 holsters, cost is also a huge concern.

Holsters like the TRex Sidecar / Tier 1 Axis & Agis are out (For now) due to cost. Some of their other options are still on the table.

I'll also need a new IWB mag carrier. Or OWB carrier. Whatever. The current Blackhawk OWB carrier I have sits too proudly for me when I carry a double stack mag (single stack for my Shield is great!)

Difficulty level: Needs to be RMR compatible (rear sight behind optic) and threaded barrel compatible. I also need to either have OEM or be compatible with Pull The Dot loops. This is for both IWB and OWB.

So - what say you?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I haven't owned any of your linked brands but that Henry looks pretty nice. I agree on the pull dot loops I just don't trust the plastic belt clips even though i've never had a problem I just personally decided to eliminate the possibility. I'm using a Bravo right now for my G5 19 MOS and don't think it has too big of a footprint but seems 'plasticy' which I don't like. Everything now from Raven to me looks like plastic junk, I wish they would make the Phantoms again and with real kydex. I'm looking for a decent mag carrier as well, many just come with the belt clips.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm afraid to try some of the new holsters for the same fears that drillsgt expresses. They all look injection molded like cheap Fobus'?

I have older Bravo and Ravens made of kydex that seem to work fine for my newish G45 without optic. I don't junk carry though, so the good old kydex stuff might not be applicable?

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I've read some online reviews that say that the Perun doesn't ride nearly "high and tight" as the old Phantoms. What's your experience with that?
    I would say they carry the weight very well. Tight enough against your side without jamming it into you. It doesn’t carry what you would call high either. It’s in the right position so that when you bring your hand back to grip the gun it seems natural. If I had one thing to mention that I had to get used to it and would be the guard that comes up on the outside of the slide. For reholstering you need to bring the gun from behind it. Nothing to worry about after spending some time with it.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I am always a fan of Raven Concealment Systems.
    I also invested in the Tier 1 Aegis with TRL-1 mounted. It's the cat's a$$.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    G-code too expensive? You can do an IWB with sidecar but it's as much as your black-listed holsters.

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/category/holsters/

I have an older INCOG that I bought for my Shield years ago. I've never liked it. It mainly serves to cover the trigger guard as the gun sits in my bedside safe. I've been leery of GCode ever since. Plus they don't seem to sell the mounting solutions that I like / or seem like they can be adapted easily (I want soft loops!). But I'll peruse their website again and see if anything's changed.

I'll also look into JM Custom.

thanks all.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://red1usa.com/

I bought one of these for WML compatibility for easy swapping of my duty gun from duty belt to plain clothes carry. I've been satisfied with it. I got the fixed loops, so it's definitely not easy on/off, but it's very stable.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    https://red1usa.com/

I bought one of these for WML compatibility for easy swapping of my duty gun from duty belt to plain clothes carry. I've been satisfied with it. I got the fixed loops, so it's definitely not easy on/off, but it's very stable.

Thanks!

I looked them up, then fired an email via their contact form. I want to know if a guy can swap the BioThane loops for pull-the-dot loops.

Dmac22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    COLUMBUS
    I’m a big fan of Veil Solutions gear. Check out his website. I know he makes all different kydex options for the gen 5. They are made for hard use and I own about 5 different holsters. Thoroughly happy with them.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks for the new info... The search is definitely ongoing.

I'd simply hate to buy a stopgap holster just for dry-fire / draw reps.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just picked up a pair of Bravo Concealment holsters on their BOGO sale. Sold as Gen 5's, the molding looks like Gen 4 to me? They fit the G45 just fine.

I was afraid of the injection molded looking new version, for fear of it being Fobus like. It seems to be fine though, the gun clicks right into it. I got both holsters cut for MOS, should I decide to go that route in the future.

20200207-222809.jpg

Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Just got a 1791 gun leather IWB holster for my edc. It is a soft leather with good retention and extremely comfortable. Comes with a lifetime warranty as well. Runs about $50. Haven’t had it more than a few days but so far I’m happy with it. I can give you more insight when I get some more experience with it. Just another brand to look at

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've almost bought the Bravo Concealment OWB like 5 times now. it would absolutely be a way for me to save some good coin on the OWB side of things.

I think I'll probably go with Henry for the IWB. I think it's a definite cut above the Bravo - and not a huge price penalty to do so.

I've also been looking at HolsterCo for OWB. Reasonably priced - though still $30 more than Bravo.

Top Bottom