• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Forgot to post this back when it happened.

Went with the family to the Newfields light show thingie just after Christmas. Great show, but they are actively using magnetometer booths and wands.

And they have a ZERO tolerance policy for ANYTHING. No blades of ANY length. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Even my little Leatherman Juice S2 wouldnt have passed with its 2" blade. (they even have sign saying no blades, regardless of length... might as well be boarding an airliner)

I had to double time it back to the car to drop my pistol, knife, and leatherman when I saw the warning sign. And the poor kid who had to wand me after walking through because they said the big unit was acting up didnt enjoy our interaction. He was a snowflake who cant handle a good staring down.:): I made it VERY clear via my angry eyes that I wasnt happy being wanded after tripping the unit for no reason. I didnt even have a damn keychain or wallet on me for God's sake. (wife drove, and everything that should have tripped it was in the basket.) I had already done everything except take off my belt and F**ing shoes yet it still went off. The things we do for family. :rolleyes:

Based on the configuration, its not just for the christmas lights, but for all events. (hopefully somebody can chime in and prove me wrong)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Yeah. The kid at Ruoff didn't care for it when I asked if he regretted not studying more in high school. To his credit, though, he was passably polite, and even made an attempt at a comeback. God bless him.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From here:
    https://discovernewfields.org/visit#things-to-know

To ensure that all guests have a comfortable and safe experience, please observe the following guidelines:
    • Firearms and other weapons are not allowed on Newfields property.
    • Newfields is a smoke-free environment.
    • To protect the objects, please do not lean on cases, sculptures, or walls
    • Water bottles with lids are permitted inside the IMA Galleries. However, to keep works of art pristine, food, other beverages, and chewing gum are not allowed inside the IMA Galleries.
    • Guests 15 years and younger must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
    • While we love animals, pets are not allowed inside the IMA Galleries or The Garden. Leashed pets are welcome in Fairbanks Park.
    • Service dogs are welcome at Newfields. Emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals are not considered service animals under the guidelines of the ADA.
    For safety purposes, guests are subject to visual inspection at select events (including the use of metal detecting magnetometers) of person, parcels, bags, containers and/or clothing capable of concealing prohibited items. Guests may refuse inspections, however Newfields management reserves the right to refuse entry.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We are members and I carry concealed every time we go to the actual museum. When we did the Christmas lights it was the first time I have seen them bust out the metal detectors. I too had to take the long walk back to the car that evening.

not for this reason alone but I will not pay to look at lights in future, first and last time.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    We are members and I carry concealed every time we go to the actual museum. When we did the Christmas lights it was the first time I have seen them bust out the metal detectors. I too had to take the long walk back to the car that evening.

not for this reason alone but I will not pay to look at lights in future, first and last time.

And maybe consider not renewing your membership, along with a clear explanation?

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    And maybe consider not renewing your membership, along with a clear explanation?

No, I just won’t support the Christmas light event which is a separate charged event even for members. As mentioned, I’ve never had an issue carrying in the museum itself and frankly the Christmas light “event” is a money grab IMO.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County

Went with the family to the Newfields light show thingie just after Christmas. Great show, but they are actively using magnetometer booths and wands.

And they have a ZERO tolerance policy for ANYTHING. No blades of ANY length. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Even my little Leatherman Juice S2 wouldnt have passed with its 2" blade. (they even have sign saying no blades, regardless of length... might as well be boarding an airliner)

I had to double time it back to the car to drop my pistol, knife, and leatherman when I saw the warning sign. And the poor kid who had to wand me after walking through because they said the big unit was acting up didnt enjoy our interaction. He was a snowflake who cant handle a good staring down.:): I made it VERY clear via my angry eyes that I wasnt happy being wanded after tripping the unit for no reason. I didnt even have a damn keychain or wallet on me for God's sake. (wife drove, and everything that should have tripped it was in the basket.) I had already done everything except take off my belt and F**ing shoes yet it still went off. The things we do for family. :rolleyes:

Based on the configuration, its not just for the christmas lights, but for all events. (hopefully somebody can chime in and prove me wrong)

Interesting that you posted this. I went to Newfields after Christmas for the lights. Both my son-in-law and I debated upon seeing the sign about returning to the car and decided against it. He put his folder in his coat pocket and put the coat in the bottom of the baby stroller. I put my folder in my coat pocket and left my coat on. I passed through with a 2-1/2" folder, a Sheffield multi-purpose tool and pepper spray. I also wear a 2" leather belt with a double roller buckle. Not quite a cowboy plaque, but pretty beefy. I may have actually set off the detector, but can't be sure. The person behind me may have started through before the scanner reset and they pulled her aside for additional scanning. As I collected my stuff (cell phone, wallet, change, etc...) I avoided eye contact with any of the staff and wished them all a Merry Christmas as I walked on to the light display. The staff also seemed pre-occupied with the frequency of the alerts on the other line. That may have added to them missing me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I went to Newfields for the first time last month and had to do the about face too. My grandson even had a tiny little multi-tool and a fidget spinner (metal) and he gave them to me to take back to the car along with my knife and gun. It was a bit pricey, but we really enjoyed the light display and the Lilly Mansion. I'd probably do it again.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I went to Newfields for the first time last month and had to do the about face too. My grandson even had a tiny little multi-tool and a fidget spinner (metal) and he gave them to me to take back to the car along with my knife and gun. It was a bit pricey, but we really enjoyed the light display and the Lilly Mansion. I'd probably do it again.

Why do you hate freedom?

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I know the feeling.

I went to a concert last fall, had to walk through the metal detector. I set it off, even though I had left my gun, knife, etc. in my vehicle. There was somewhat of a rush to get inside, the young men manning the stations were harried and distracted, so they just glanced at me as I walked ahead through. I was okay with that.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Selling out to new fields etc, the IMA has lost me and a lot of patrons, the patrons I know have been life long supporters and even holding events At the IMA, anyone remember the Christmas carols event in the interior with Christ church cathedral?

ALL LOST.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    These arent too hard to get things through. Even the ones at the state fair are ran by idiots and guns pass through them.

Ok i shouldn't call them idiots. I don't know that. Ill rephrase. Untrained or improperly trained staff that doesn't truly give a crap.
    As you are walking up to the screening area you should be screening them and looking for weaknesses. Use them to your advantage with the plan you already had prepped for.
    It's not just these, I've seen things get through at BIG events too.
    This is the same thing as at airports when TSA gets tested by oversight. They FAIL miserably.
    Only dumb sheep would believe they are safe inside a "secured" area with metal detectors. I dont ever intend on being a sheep.
    I dont play games when it comes to planes because you are talking serious charges and time there. But other places, make your own choices.

I will say though, everytime these threads pop up on ingo where people mention a place by name asking if they have metal detectors or not or we discuss places by name and exploiting their weaknesses, you better believe these discussions make it back to those places. Ingo is read by anti-gun freedom hating people and they will gladly fire off an email with links or screenshots to screw gun owners.
    Also certain events and institutions if they have a security department or PR department worth their weight in salt will on their own be monitoring social media for posts with their name in it.

We give away too many secrets here. Being the "grey man" is becoming harder to do when people get on INGO and other places with a megaphone and tell the whole world what to look for when we are trying to be discreet and Conceal and not alarm the public.

Like the indy Z o0. They are NOT firearm friendly people at all. Everytime i see someone asking if they have detectors or wands I know its just a matter of time before some donor pays for their brand new metal detectors and makes it harder for the good guys to defend themselves there.

Last edited:

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central

I have a few non metallic knives for places like this, if you know their policy ahead of time of course.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    G10 knives aren’t good to go though, correct?
    I have one that was described by the maker as G10 and it has not been detected with handheld or walk through detectors. Best way to find out is a "trial run" when you don't really care about being denied entry if it sets off a detector. Obviously, I am referring to a trial run in a location where you are committing a policy violation and not a criminal violation.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I had been thinking about a visit to the art museum a month or so ago. Not interested now. Too many other places to go where my comfort and safety aren't compromised by counterproductive, misguided policies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom