• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I need to update my pepper spray carry. I've kept FoxLabs small canisters under the visors in my vehicles for years for just in case. These are expired and need to be replaced.

I'd like to find a replacement that rides in a "no accidents" tube to be stowed in my EDC bag.

I don't really carry pepper spray on me EDC. I certainly like the idea of a non lethal "back the **** off" solution within reach to put into use should the need arise.

I wonder what others do with pepper spray?

These guys put out some decent vids on the subject...

[video=youtube;pkVHJuB-rJc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkVHJuB-rJc[/video]

[video=youtube;b8D5isAQhrc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8D5isAQhrc[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    After taking Murph's class, I find I really like the Sabre Red this guy shows. In fact yesterday I just bought another tube since they do have a shelf life.

And PRACTICE. Buy an inert training version of whatever you carry and practice spraying someone so you know how it actually deploys.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I carry the Sabre Red. I have it on me all the time. It rides in a combo, multi-purpose tool/pepper spray, holster. Most people assume it is an LED flashlight on my belt.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I keep one in each of my two main coats. Matter of fact, I just replaced mine. Just to see, I fired off the old ones and found that the pressure was very low. The stuff only shot out about six feet and without much force.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I always figured that by the time I'd pepper spray something I'd just as soon .45 spray it; and if you try to pepper spray it first you just might lose that option. Now, if I had some CS grenades to prep the area...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A non-lethal option is seldom considered. It's better to have it than wish you did?

You just can't shoot aggressive pan handlers or political thugs that might harm you while in your face.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You aren't justified to pepper spray pan handlers, either.

I wouldn't and neither should you. :nono:

However, if a panhandler turned into an assaulter, a non-lethal tool could be handy to spare their life. Not to mention spare the legal and liability issues involved in popping off rounds in a crowded area.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Use your expired canisters to practice on inanimate objects. Pattern, distance, wind, etc.

EVen better, dont be cheap and buy a practice unit. They are typically around $7. That way you can actually practice ON somebody, to see exactly how it works.

Just be REALLY careful. Not everybody uses the same color combos. Sabre uses a blue label for live and white label for inert. Mace brand uses a blue label for inert and white for live product. Could make for a very spicy mistake. LOL

Edit: As low as $6.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSJU290/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    A non-lethal option is seldom considered. It's better to have it than wish you did?

You just can't shoot aggressive pan handlers or political thugs that might harm you while in your face.
    If you load your pistol with gloves and wear anti facial recognition apparatus you can...:shady:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also, as a side note, foam and gel bases are less likely to give you a small dose, but at a greatly reduced range.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I always figured that by the time I'd pepper spray something I'd just as soon .45 spray it; and if you try to pepper spray it first you just might lose that option. Now, if I had some CS grenades to prep the area...

A less than lethal option absolutely should be part of everyone's EDC plan. I can think of a few scenarios that might require persuading someone to change their attitude or behavior that don't justify the use of deadly force.

A lot of examples involve third party encounters. Think irate customer in front of you screaming at a cashier online at the bank or store where things are on the edge of getting out of hand.

Or you're walking out to your car in the parking lot and a guy is clearly getting into it with his old lady, maybe even beating on her. Is it really a good idea to insert yourself into that situation and just go right into shooting him?

Or what about places where you truly can't carry? I'd rather have an OC spray than nothing.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    A less than lethal option absolutely should be part of everyone's EDC plan. I can think of a few scenarios that might require persuading someone to change their attitude or behavior that don't justify the use of deadly force.

A lot of examples involve third party encounters. Think irate customer in front of you screaming at a cashier online at the bank or store where things are on the edge of getting out of hand.

Or you're walking out to your car in the parking lot and a guy is clearly getting into it with his old lady, maybe even beating on her. Is it really a good idea to insert yourself into that situation and just go right into shooting him?

Or what about places where you truly can't carry? I'd rather have an OC spray than nothing.
    Kneecapping IS less lethal

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Any places that I have been where I truly couldn't carry a firearm have rules against any weapons, (i.e. knives, batons, pepper spray) and they usually have metal detectors as well.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

It's never a good idea to insert yourself into that situation PERIOD. Get into a tussle with "her man," and you are likely going to wind up being the target of 2 attackers.

Top Bottom