Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Why isnít Indiana Constitutional Carry

Indiana generally feels like a ďfreeĒ state of liberty minded rugged individualists. But in several cases our laws and government seem to indicate that we are not quite so fully free. Red flag law comes to mind, as does our utility-favoring solar generation law. But when I realized that 16 states have Constitutional (no permit required) handgun carry laws, I realized IN is not at the top of the most free state list.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res.../unrestricted/

Why has not Constitutional Carry been proposed and passed in Indiana? Do you agree that we are middle of the road at best? Should we all move before IN turns anti-2A like Virginia did?
    You can ignore reality, but you won't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ar15_dude View Post
    Indiana generally feels like a ¬ďfree¬Ē state of liberty minded rugged individualists. But in several cases our laws and government seem to indicate that we are not quite so fully free. Red flag law comes to mind, as does our utility-favoring solar generation law. But when I realized that 16 states have Constitutional (no permit required) handgun carry laws, I realized IN is not at the top of the most free state list.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res.../unrestricted/

Why has not Constitutional Carry been proposed and passed in Indiana? Do you agree that we are middle of the road at best? Should we all move before IN turns anti-2A like Virginia did?
    Hi! I'm KellyinAvon, where ya been? We are making a run at Constitutional Carry (ConC) in 2021. Bosma is out as the House Speaker after this session closes so maybe we can get it moving. ConC has been introduced here in Indiana, Bosma was the main reason it didn't get a vote.

We will need A LOT of Pro-2A butts filling chairs when the ConC bill (look for Jim Lucas to author) comes up in committee. We need to educate the 87% about what this means and how the Mad Moms et al have been dead wrong every time they predicted blood running in the streets when we could store firearms in vehicles on school property and have civil immunity for use of deadly force (by the way, both of these greatly expanded 2A Rights here in Indiana.)

This is gonna be a tough fight. We need to be ready to do more than we ever have to support ConC. I'll be there, how bout you?
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Why?

Because there are way too may Republicans in the Indiana legislature.

User Info Menu

What happens with reciprocity? Do we keep the license for carry in other states?
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snorko View Post
    What happens with reciprocity? Do we keep the license for carry in other states?
    That's one of the sticky wickets.

in order to be legal in other states, you'll need a license/permit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    That's one of the sticky wickets.

in order to be legal in other states, you'll need a license/permit.
    Current LTCH works in States that honor it now, 32 I believe. Plus the 5 year license is free starting 1 July.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

I always tell people to get the lifetime permit. Come 5 years and one day is very expensive if you get caught after forgetting to renew. You get what you pay for. I hope someone reminds me when my butt is needed in a seat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OurDee View Post
    I always tell people to get the lifetime permit. Come 5 years and one day is very expensive if you get caught after forgetting to renew. You get what you pay for. I hope someone reminds me when my butt is needed in a seat.
    If all goes to plan, the five-year license may eventually qualify to bypass NICS checks, but that is down the road.

Under the new law, an individual can hold both a lifetime and a five-year license:

IC 35-47-2-4 Qualified or unlimited licenses to carry handguns; fees; exemptions from payment of fees

Sec. 4. (a) Licenses to carry handguns shall be either qualified or unlimited, and are valid for:
    (1) five (5) years from the date of issue in the case of a five (5) year license; or
    (2) the life of the individual receiving the license in the case of a lifetime license.
    A qualified license shall be issued for hunting and target practice. An individual may separately apply for and simultaneously hold both a five (5) year license and a lifetime license. The superintendent may adopt rules imposing limitations on the use and carrying of handguns under a license when handguns are carried by a licensee as a condition of employment. Unlimited licenses shall be issued for the purpose of the protection of life and property.

. . .

Master

User Info Menu

Overall we have it great in Indiana. We enjoy freedom at a level few states do. Cato institute rated Indiana third highest in their freedom rankings.

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/overall/indiana

I too wish we had CC but our permitting process is fairly benign and we have had that in place for a lot longer than many CC states have even allowed carry at all.

Hopefully we can get it changed soon...

Thanks Kelly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ar15_dude View Post
    Why has not Constitutional Carry been proposed and passed in Indiana?
    It has been proposed. It has not passed because of Brian Bosma.

Do you agree that we are middle of the road at best?
    Nonsense. We are far above the states that have the image of being pro-gun, e.g. Texas or Florida.

Should we all move before IN turns anti-2A like Virginia did?
    Why don't you join and fight?

Kirk Freeman, INGO's Dennis Miller of gun culture references

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast