• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indiana generally feels like a “free” state of liberty minded rugged individualists. But in several cases our laws and government seem to indicate that we are not quite so fully free. Red flag law comes to mind, as does our utility-favoring solar generation law. But when I realized that 16 states have Constitutional (no permit required) handgun carry laws, I realized IN is not at the top of the most free state list.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/re...ry-licensurepermitting-policies/unrestricted/

Why has not Constitutional Carry been proposed and passed in Indiana? Do you agree that we are middle of the road at best? Should we all move before IN turns anti-2A like Virginia did?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Indiana generally feels like a “free” state of liberty minded rugged individualists. But in several cases our laws and government seem to indicate that we are not quite so fully free. Red flag law comes to mind, as does our utility-favoring solar generation law. But when I realized that 16 states have Constitutional (no permit required) handgun carry laws, I realized IN is not at the top of the most free state list.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/re...ry-licensurepermitting-policies/unrestricted/

Why has not Constitutional Carry been proposed and passed in Indiana? Do you agree that we are middle of the road at best? Should we all move before IN turns anti-2A like Virginia did?

Hi! I'm KellyinAvon, where ya been? We are making a run at Constitutional Carry (ConC) in 2021. Bosma is out as the House Speaker after this session closes so maybe we can get it moving. ConC has been introduced here in Indiana, Bosma was the main reason it didn't get a vote.

We will need A LOT of Pro-2A butts filling chairs when the ConC bill (look for Jim Lucas to author) comes up in committee. We need to educate the 87% about what this means and how the Mad Moms et al have been dead wrong every time they predicted blood running in the streets when we could store firearms in vehicles on school property and have civil immunity for use of deadly force (by the way, both of these greatly expanded 2A Rights here in Indiana.)

This is gonna be a tough fight. We need to be ready to do more than we ever have to support ConC. I'll be there, how bout you?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That's one of the sticky wickets.

in order to be legal in other states, you'll need a license/permit.
    Current LTCH works in States that honor it now, 32 I believe. Plus the 5 year license is free starting 1 July.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I always tell people to get the lifetime permit. Come 5 years and one day is very expensive if you get caught after forgetting to renew. You get what you pay for. I hope someone reminds me when my butt is needed in a seat.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I always tell people to get the lifetime permit. Come 5 years and one day is very expensive if you get caught after forgetting to renew. You get what you pay for. I hope someone reminds me when my butt is needed in a seat.

If all goes to plan, the five-year license may eventually qualify to bypass NICS checks, but that is down the road.

Under the new law, an individual can hold both a lifetime and a five-year license:

[FONT=&amp]IC 35-47-2-4 Qualified or unlimited licenses to carry handguns; fees; exemptions from payment of fees
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Sec. 4. (a) Licenses to carry handguns shall be either qualified or unlimited, and are valid for:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) five (5) years from the date of issue in the case of a five (5) year license; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) the life of the individual receiving the license in the case of a lifetime license.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]A qualified license shall be issued for hunting and target practice. An individual may separately apply for and simultaneously hold both a five (5) year license and a lifetime license. The superintendent may adopt rules imposing limitations on the use and carrying of handguns under a license when handguns are carried by a licensee as a condition of employment. Unlimited licenses shall be issued for the purpose of the protection of life and property.

. . .[/FONT]

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Overall we have it great in Indiana. We enjoy freedom at a level few states do. Cato institute rated Indiana third highest in their freedom rankings.

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/overall/indiana

I too wish we had CC but our permitting process is fairly benign and we have had that in place for a lot longer than many CC states have even allowed carry at all.

Hopefully we can get it changed soon...

Thanks Kelly!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why has not Constitutional Carry been proposed and passed in Indiana?

It has been proposed. It has not passed because of Brian Bosma.

Do you agree that we are middle of the road at best?

Nonsense. We are far above the states that have the image of being pro-gun, e.g. Texas or Florida.

Should we all move before IN turns anti-2A like Virginia did?

Why don't you join and fight?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If all goes to plan, the five-year license may eventually qualify to bypass NICS checks, but that is down the road.

Under the new law, an individual can hold both a lifetime and a five-year license:

[FONT=&amp]IC 35-47-2-4 Qualified or unlimited licenses to carry handguns; fees; exemptions from payment of fees
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Sec. 4. (a) Licenses to carry handguns shall be either qualified or unlimited, and are valid for:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) five (5) years from the date of issue in the case of a five (5) year license; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) the life of the individual receiving the license in the case of a lifetime license.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]A qualified license shall be issued for hunting and target practice. An individual may separately apply for and simultaneously hold both a five (5) year license and a lifetime license. The superintendent may adopt rules imposing limitations on the use and carrying of handguns under a license when handguns are carried by a licensee as a condition of employment. Unlimited licenses shall be issued for the purpose of the protection of life and property.

. . .[/FONT]

"Unlimited licenses shall be issued for the purpose of the protection of life and property"
    So....did Indiana adopt legal use of lethal force to protect your property? What's the definition of property? If it's just your dwelling then the castle doctrine has that covered. I also believe if you're in your vehicle that's considered your castle also.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Stay tuned to INGO for updates. :ingo:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Bosma deserves much of the criticism he gets on the constitutional carry thing. But we gun owners have only ourselves to blame. How many on this thread have ever shown up at a committee meeting when it's been discussed before? I know Kelly, and Brother Bill, and Kirk regularly show up at those things. If you think it's worth getting (and I do), we ALL need to do a better job of showing up and speaking up. Bosma (and the other republicans) are only going to see the light when we get enough people turning up the heat. (Yeah, I know he's out after this but you see my point).

I was there when Smaltz informed us on how poorly this issue performs on their legislative surveys. How many of us even bother to fill them out? Have you talked to your family members and coached them up on how to answer their sometimes screwy language on this issue?

We don't have it because we haven't put the work in it to get them to move on it. Leaning exclusively on the lone NRA guy that shows up, Jim Lucas, Guy Relford, a few other republicans in the legislature, and a hand full of INGO members hasn't cut it before, and it probably won't cut it then.

(And I'm not sympathetic to the complaint I've heard more than once that goes something like "....well, golly gosh! I work for a living...I don't have time to go to the state house...I'm too busy, darn it!").

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    From OP: thanks for the informative, constructive dialogue. I am encouraged in several ways, but primarily by being reminded that committed defenders of 2A reside in IN. Y’all have my respect and gratitude.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

[FONT=&amp].
    . . .[/FONT]

Ours in MI have until just now. According to the lovely ATF it no longer gets you out of the check effective immediately. Something to do with our wonderful new legalization of pot. Not sure exactly how the two interfere to produce that outcome.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    This unmitigated sad sack excuse for a republican is why.
    SpeakerBosma.jpg

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From OP: thanks for the informative, constructive dialogue. I am encouraged in several ways, but primarily by being reminded that committed defenders of 2A reside in IN. Y’all have my respect and gratitude.

Email, write, call, show up, spread the word, represent, and most importantly VOTE!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ours in MI have until just now. According to the lovely ATF it no longer gets you out of the check effective immediately. Something to do with our wonderful new legalization of pot. Not sure exactly how the two interfere to produce that outcome.

Um, because that is federal law. You cannot use illegal narcotics and touch guns or ammunition.

You can have all the pot you want in Michigan or all the guns you want. You cannot have both. If you have both, you are a candidate for the Bureau of Prisons.

Kids, say no to dope.

Top Bottom