Does anyone carry .327 Magnum as as their EDC???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Just curious, but does anyone CC the .327 Magnum caliber as their EDC?

If so, which revolver do you prefer and which ammo shoots best out of it?

The option to have +1 round over a .38 special is appealing,
    but how well does the little .327 perform from a short-barreled revolver?

Just being curious as a friend of mine EDC's .327 in a Ruger LCR daily.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I do on occasion, but can't really say EDC.
    I have two .327's. One is a Taurus snubby, the other is a Ruger SP101.
    The longer barreled Ruger is more comfortable to shoot, but the Taurus is not bad.
    I think the 85gr shoots a little better out of the snubby, and the 100gr is a little better in the Ruger.

The snub nose 2" barreled Taurus is louder (perceived report) than the Ruger.
    I don't feel under-gunned with either.
    I am a big fan of the .327Federal magnum, enough so that I also bought the Henry rifle as well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Before the 1930s the 32-20 was chambered in DA revolvers and used as a police cartridge as well.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have EDC a .327 in the past but originally bought that LCR for my daughter. She didn't like the snap of the .327 Gold Dots so we backed it down to 32 H&R Fed Magnum. She transitioned from the LCR into a Walther CCW 9mm.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I do on occasion, but can't really say EDC.
    I have two .327's. One is a Taurus snubby, the other is a Ruger SP101.
    The longer barreled Ruger is more comfortable to shoot, but the Taurus is not bad.
    I think the 85gr shoots a little better out of the snubby, and the 100gr is a little better in the Ruger.

The snub nose 2" barreled Taurus is louder (perceived report) than the Ruger.
    I don't feel under-gunned with either.
    I am a big fan of the .327Federal magnum, enough so that I also bought the Henry rifle as well.

That's what my buddy carries, the Ruger LCRx in .327 magnum... his main reason for choosing the .327 magnum I that it gives him +1 over a 5-shot snubbie!

Out of a snub-nosed revolver, I think I prefer a .38 Special over the .327 magnum, but I understand the +1 argument, being that one is not giving up much, if anything, in bullet performance.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The 327 (and 32 H&R for that matter) are underated. Fine rounds for a carry revolver. People get way to wrapped around the axel on mag capacity in a carry piece. I get it if your serving warrants and kicking in doora but most are not.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I daily pocket carry a Taurus 731 in 32 H&R Magnum. My favorite revolver to carry in the woods,and when I’m not to concerned about concealing, is a 3” SP101 in 327 FM. I used to carry a .38 special 642 but really started to like the 32’s and switched over a few years ago. The increase capacity to 6 is a nice benefit but for me the main attraction is how much faster and more accurate I am with 32 h&r in a snub nose compared to 38 or even 327. To me, 327 in the lcr has about the same recoil as a lightweight 38 snubnose. I was using 32 h&r & 32 long in my lcr for practice and could tell a big difference in accuracy and follow up speed in the H&R rounds over the 327 rounds. After reading about some of the 85gr 32 H&R ballistics, I feel very comfortable with 6 rounds of 32 H&R magnum. Another benefit is the ability to use light recoiling 32 long ammo really gives you a chance to get a lot more range and practice time with your carry gun without the harsh recoil of .38. The 327 is perfect in the 3” sp101 but I find that size just a little harder to conceal the the snub nose revolvers.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The 327 (and 32 H&R for that matter) are underated. Fine rounds for a carry revolver. People get way to wrapped around the axel on mag capacity in a carry piece. I get it if your serving warrants and kicking in doora but most are not.

I agree...many are too hung up on capacity vs performance and I'm more of a revolver fan than I am of a semi-auto, although both have their place.

I daily pocket carry a Taurus 731 in 32 H&R Magnum. My favorite revolver to carry in the woods,and when I’m not to concerned about concealing, is a 3” SP101 in 327 FM. I used to carry a .38 special 642 but really started to like the 32’s and switched over a few years ago. The increase capacity to 6 is a nice benefit but for me the main attraction is how much faster and more accurate I am with 32 h&r in a snub nose compared to 38 or even 327. To me, 327 in the lcr has about the same recoil as a lightweight 38 snubnose. I was using 32 h&r & 32 long in my lcr for practice and could tell a big difference in accuracy and follow up speed in the H&R rounds over the 327 rounds. After reading about some of the 85gr 32 H&R ballistics, I feel very comfortable with 6 rounds of 32 H&R magnum. Another benefit is the ability to use light recoiling 32 long ammo really gives you a chance to get a lot more range and practice time with your carry gun without the harsh recoil of .38. The 327 is perfect in the 3” sp101 but I find that size just a little harder to conceal the the snub nose revolvers.

I concern, the more I am reading up on and reviewing the .327 magnum and the .32 H&R Magnum rounds, the more I'm liking their capabilities as well as being able to have 1 more round in the cylinder.
    I've had people ask if I am 'comfortable' with a 5 or 6 shot revolver and I respond that I've CC'd a Glock 36 in .45 acp for nearly 8 years...and that's a 6+1 capacity semi-auto.
    The 3" SP101 in .327 magnum is definitely on my list...but a bit 'salty' price-wise so for now I'll have to keep wanting! A friend has one and it's amazing to shoot...quite fun in fact!

Top Bottom