• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    My employer, per state law can't prevent me from bringing my licensed handgun in my car, but the gun cannot a) have a loaded magazine and b) the magazine cannot be removed/inserted on company property. So when I go to work I have to first remove my magazine and then leave my unloaded gun in the car. I feel like having the gun sit in my car all day is a bigger risk than just leaving it at home. Anyone else have this situation? Do you leave your handgun at home or in your car?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have not heard that the gun left in your car is legally required to be unloaded. I'm sure that someone will be along to confirm or deny?

One way or another, I would take measures to;

- secure the gun left in your car

- keep your mouth shut to all about the gun in your car, about your interest in guns, etc.

- make sure there are no indicators on your vehicle that would make it a target for theft

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Um, it sounds like the lines between securing a handgun in your vehicle at your place of work, and transporting a handgun when you do not have a LTCH are blurring.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    There are lots of hollow spaces in cars. A little work and you can have a place for your firearm. I had a Neon that I removed the driver's door arm rest from. Fixed it so it was velcroed in place and you could not tell. Then I attached a holster to the under side of the arm rest for a 1911. There is a place in one of my cars that uses magnets instead of a holster. Polyurethane foam, trash bags, and a holster can be used to make custom holders in some of those spaces. You just have to step up your game and plan ahead. WARNING: Do not pop off an air bag inflator! Risk of death! I used a full on safe for a center console in a truck back in the day. Be careful that your gun space can not be misconstrued as a drug smuggling box. ie. use foam and holsters to limit what goes in there. And don't haul drugs.

[video=youtube;b83Nz4ht5HQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b83Nz4ht5HQ[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/indiana/in-code/indiana_code_34-28-7-2

an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee’s vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee’s locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee’s locked vehicle.

I don't see your requirements anywhere in there.

Uh, unless you ...

(c) A person shall adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that requires an employee of the person, including a contract employee, who possesses a firearm or ammunition on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-232), to:(1) secure the firearm or ammunition or both in a locked case; and
    (2) store the firearm or ammunition, or both:
    (A) in the trunk of the employee’s vehicle;
    (B) in the glove compartment of the employee’s locked vehicle; or
    (C) out of plain sight in the employee’s locked vehicle.

Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    I have not heard that the gun left in your car is legally required to be unloaded. I'm sure that someone will be along to confirm or deny?

One way or another, I would take measures to;

- secure the gun left in your car

- keep your mouth shut to all about the gun in your car, about your interest in guns, etc.

- make sure there are no indicators on your vehicle that would make it a target for theft
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The requirement to store the ammunition separately from the gun and to not load or unload on company property is not a legal requirement, just an employer requirement.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The requirement to store the ammunition separately from the gun and to not load or unload on company property is not a legal requirement, just an employer requirement.

Which means you can ignore it.

Get a vehicle storage safe with cable lock so you can secure it to the vehicle. Place the loaded gun inside, lock it up and move on with your day.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Get a vehicle storage safe with cable lock so you can secure it to the vehicle. Place the loaded gun inside, lock it up and move on with your day.

I have one in my truck. Nothing fancy and just big enough to hold my G26 in the IWB kydex (no unholstering of the loaded gun) and a spare mag. Keep it out of sight (mine lives under the big green GI bag of stuff) and lock the doors.

Zenmaster961

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2019
    My employer, per state law can't prevent me from bringing my licensed handgun in my car, but the gun cannot a) have a loaded magazine and b) the magazine cannot be removed/inserted on company property. So when I go to work I have to first remove my magazine and then leave my unloaded gun in the car. I feel like having the gun sit in my car all day is a bigger risk than just leaving it at home. Anyone else have this situation? Do you leave your handgun at home or in your car?

Im with you on this. I could carry at work if I wanted but Id sweat all over it (maybe some sort of closing holster would help this). Im way more worried about it being stolen from my truck (this goes for anything: I always keep my truck empty of valuables and keep the windows down when its warm enough) than from my house, but I worry like a parent when we're apart.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Rereading this and I'm even more confused than before. Your employer mandates that if you store a gun in your car that it must be unloaded, but they specify that you can't actually unload it on the property?

Nevermind the fact that unnecessary handling of the firearm increases the possibility of a negligent discharge, as Kelly pointed out, but it would also require you to stop at the property line to unload and store the firearm prior to entering. That's dumb.

Clearly the lawyers who wrote the policy know nothing about firearms. My advice is still to simply ignore the part about unloading prior to storage.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Don't ask. Don't tell. If it is in your car and stays in your car, it is none of their business!

Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    Clearly the lawyers who wrote the policy know nothing about firearms. My advice is still to simply ignore the part about unloading prior to storage.

In fact, the lawyers may have perfectly understood guns, because the way they've written it I think a responsible gun owner who was trying to comply would basically have to store the magazine and gun separately I their car before they even leave their home.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

IANAL but I think that tap dances pretty near the far edge of preemption, which they cannot do. The law doesnt say it must be unloaded so they cant tell you to unload it. The law says you can do what you can do. So you do it. I dont think they can tell you how any more than they can tell you not to bring it at all. It sounds ripe for employer discovery, employment termination, then lawsuit for wrongful termination to me. That is how I would proceed; Follow the law to the letter and hope for the best.

But once again IANAL so please consult with one before following any free advice you get online; you get what you pay for with free advice.

Oh, and dont call HRs attention to their stupidity. That just puts you on the radar.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    These types of rules can make it tough. I have a company car. I'm not allowed to have a gun loaded or not in my company car.

And since it is their property, they can search it, borrow it, drive it, let another employee use it anytime they want.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    @Cameramonkey, you may be right but I love my job too much to do as you suggested. A case of "better to be happily employed than to right."

I don't know exactly what it is you do for a living but you are the best person to assess for risk in this situation. That risk being likelyhood of getting caught with a gun on you vs likelyhood of needing a gun to protect your life. The "better to be happily employed than right" is only a good thing in this instance if you're not dead. Like I said, I don't know what it is you do and the types of areas or scenarios you find yourself in each day while on the job.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Is a cylinder considered a magazine? Where the hell do you work?

Top Bottom