Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Question When I can't carry...

My employer, per state law can't prevent me from bringing my licensed handgun in my car, but the gun cannot a) have a loaded magazine and b) the magazine cannot be removed/inserted on company property. So when I go to work I have to first remove my magazine and then leave my unloaded gun in the car. I feel like having the gun sit in my car all day is a bigger risk than just leaving it at home. Anyone else have this situation? Do you leave your handgun at home or in your car?

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

I have not heard that the gun left in your car is legally required to be unloaded. I'm sure that someone will be along to confirm or deny?

One way or another, I would take measures to;

- secure the gun left in your car

- keep your mouth shut to all about the gun in your car, about your interest in guns, etc.

- make sure there are no indicators on your vehicle that would make it a target for theft
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and I’m on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Um, it sounds like the lines between securing a handgun in your vehicle at your place of work, and transporting a handgun when you do not have a LTCH are blurring.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

There are lots of hollow spaces in cars. A little work and you can have a place for your firearm. I had a Neon that I removed the driver's door arm rest from. Fixed it so it was velcroed in place and you could not tell. Then I attached a holster to the under side of the arm rest for a 1911. There is a place in one of my cars that uses magnets instead of a holster. Polyurethane foam, trash bags, and a holster can be used to make custom holders in some of those spaces. You just have to step up your game and plan ahead. WARNING: Do not pop off an air bag inflator! Risk of death! I used a full on safe for a center console in a truck back in the day. Be careful that your gun space can not be misconstrued as a drug smuggling box. ie. use foam and holsters to limit what goes in there. And don't haul drugs.

User Info Menu

Last edited by actaeon277; 3 Weeks Ago at 23:56.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” -Plato

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

User Info Menu

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/...code_34-28-7-2

an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee’s vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee’s locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee’s locked vehicle.

I don't see your requirements anywhere in there.

Uh, unless you ...

(c) A person shall adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that requires an employee of the person, including a contract employee, who possesses a firearm or ammunition on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-232), to:(1) secure the firearm or ammunition or both in a locked case; and
    (2) store the firearm or ammunition, or both:
    (A) in the trunk of the employee’s vehicle;
    (B) in the glove compartment of the employee’s locked vehicle; or
    (C) out of plain sight in the employee’s locked vehicle.

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” -Plato

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

User Info Menu

https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/l...7=#post7687074
    You may want to go through this thread where people are discussing exactly what you are talking about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    I have not heard that the gun left in your car is legally required to be unloaded. I'm sure that someone will be along to confirm or deny?

One way or another, I would take measures to;

- secure the gun left in your car

- keep your mouth shut to all about the gun in your car, about your interest in guns, etc.

- make sure there are no indicators on your vehicle that would make it a target for theft
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The requirement to store the ammunition separately from the gun and to not load or unload on company property is not a legal requirement, just an employer requirement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgunfan View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The requirement to store the ammunition separately from the gun and to not load or unload on company property is not a legal requirement, just an employer requirement.
    Which means you can ignore it.

Get a vehicle storage safe with cable lock so you can secure it to the vehicle. Place the loaded gun inside, lock it up and move on with your day.
    I wouldn't carry a .380 in my ass if there was room in there for a tug boat. - Clint Smith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Which means you can ignore it.

Get a vehicle storage safe with cable lock so you can secure it to the vehicle. Place the loaded gun inside, lock it up and move on with your day.
    I have one in my truck. Nothing fancy and just big enough to hold my G26 in the IWB kydex (no unholstering of the loaded gun) and a spare mag. Keep it out of sight (mine lives under the big green GI bag of stuff) and lock the doors.

INGOer #25,448

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast